Price of Evil

V

We were all downstairs in the dark living room, waiting. My eyes darting about the room, looking in every corner and in every place that was dark. Looking for something I knew was there. I could sense it, it was like someone was staring at me. Their eyes boring holes into my skin, making me squirm uncomfortably next to Matt.

Jimmy seemed to be checking everything that was on the table, while he murmured quietly to himself. After a few moments, he turned to us, grinning excitedly.

"So, who's pairing up with who?" He asked.

"Matt goes with Linds." Zacky said. "Brian with Charles, Johnny with Jimmy, and me with M."

As he spoke, he fastened an arm round her shoulder, smirking down. I don't know why he constantly picked on her, but tonight was not the night to push his luck.

"Why do I have to go with you?" She questioned, glaring at him. Then over to us, silently looking for help.

"Because I can't wait to see you get scared."Zacky simply shrugged. "And plus, if anything happens, Johnny and Jimmy would never be able to protect you as well as I can."

I wanted to help Midge out but Matt just pushed me behind his body. Knowing all to well I was going to start arguing with Zacky again.

"Not tonight Linds, please. I'm to tired to deal with his shit." He mumbled quietly so only I could hear, and I just sighed. Giving my head a nod.

"Okay, well, now that pairs are sorted," Jimmy spoke again, "Midge and Zack, why don't you take upstairs? Matt and Linds will go in the basement. Johnny and me, will stay in this end of the house, and Charles and Bri, you guys go down to the other end. That sound cool?"

Everyone murmured agreements and stood up, stretching.

"If we need each other, just use your phones to ring, okay?" Jimmy then said.

Again we all nodded our heads. I think we were all to tired to really get into this. But as expected, Zacky had quickly grabbed midge by the arm. Getting a head start on this little hunt.

I stood there, listening to Zacky drag Midge up the stairs. When their foots steps dissipated, I turned around, searching for one of the cameras Jimmy had set out for us. I wasn't going down in a basement without some sort of light. Since the lights were out, this simple task was proving to be quite hard.

"Are you ready?" Matt asked apprehensively.

Before answering, my hands found a camera and I quickly turned it on, flipping it to the night vision setting. I started panning the room, looking for Matt.

"Gah!" I screamed when his face appeared just inches from the screen.

"Someone is a bit jumpy." He smirked at the camera. Clearly amused by what he just did.

"I wouldn't be jumpy if someone didn't offer us to go down into my creepy basement, in the pitch black." I sighed, pushing past him and heading towards the basement door.

"I'm not excited about it either, but we'll be alone finally. Plus you do owe me from earlier." I could hear the grin in his voice as I heard his feet quickly following after me. "Maybe this will be fun as well." That's what they said last night, and look how much fun we had then.

When I reached the door, I took a deep breath. It's just a basement, just an average basement. It's my basement! I've been down here hundreds of times, so I know there's nothing scary down there. I desperately tried to convince myself of that. The overwhelming feeling of impending doom, kind of negated those thoughts sadly.

Slowly turning the knob, the door opened with a low drawn out creak. I couldn't see Matt but I felt his presence next to me, as we looked down into the darkened basement. If it was possible, the basement was even darker then the rest of the house. Making me uncomfortable.

"I'll go first, I have the camera" I gulped, trying to sound confident in myself. Even though I felt like turning around and hiding under the blankets on the couch.

"I'm right behind you." Mart whispered, his voice even seemed to hold a hint of fear. Which was definitely concerning, Matt never got scared.

Putting the camera in front of me, I looked through the screen, trying to find the first step. Matt's arm attached itself to my shoulder and we started on our way down. With each step we took, the creaks of the old wooden steps, would echo down throughout the basement, only adding to how creepy and eerie the basement was.

Finally, my feet hit the concrete floor. Sighing in relief, I felt more confident about this whole ghost hunt thing.

"Matt, let's set the EV... EV.... The ghost whatever stuff in the center of the room." I whispered, my voice not even trembling.

"Ok, babe." His hand found mine and he laced our fingers togther. Smiling, I led the way to the middle of the room.

Using the camera, I found a couple of boxes and to set the MacBook on and a couple old wooden chairs for us.

I sat down in the chair, turning the camera around so it was facing me, while Matt got the stuff ready. I could tell he had no idea what he was doing, but he somehow managed to place wires into the correct places.

"Mom, Dad, if I don't make it out alive tonight, just know that Matt and I did not ruin that fucking sofa in the living room! It was Johnny!" I smiled at the camera.

"What are you doing?" Matt chuckled. Taking his eyes off what he was doing, and placing them on me.

"Haven't you seen The Blair Witch Project? I'm documenting this, so if we vanish, they can sell the footage and make a shit ton of money." I smirked, turning the camera focusing it on him. "Anything you want to say, Mr. Sanders??"

"Yes! Dear Lindsey's dad, I had sex with your daughter." He smiled goofily "and I liked it... a lot" He winked, and I dropped the camera, shaking my head.

"Oh great, now if we don't die, my dad will really kill you." I mumbled, placing the camera down.

"Doesn't matter, he already hates me." Matt grinned, turning on the microphone on, on the computer.

"What do we do now?" I asked, staring at the bright screen.

"Just ask a question and we will wait a couple of seconds. Then we will replay the tape. At least that's what Jimmy said" He shrugged trying to explain, earning a nod from me as I scooted closer to him.

Out of the corner of my eye, I glimpsed at what looked to be movement. Quickly turning my head, my eyes focused on the corner of the room. To no surprise, nothing was over there, well nothing I could see.

"Are you down here?" Matt asked loudly. We both sat up looking around the room and waiting for an answer.

Gripping onto Matt's arm, I jumped, hearing a loud bang.

"What was that?" I whispered, trying to pin point where the noise was.

"Was that you? What do you want?!" Matt shouted loudly again. Oh yes just ask it what it wants Matt!

Again the bang echoed through the basement. Finally, I judged that it was coming from the back corner of the basement. Standing up, I grabbed the camera.

"I'm going to see what the noise is." I whispered, a wave of confidence passing through my body.

"Be careful, I'll be right there. I just want to see if we caught anything." Matt quietly said, not really focusing on me, but rather the computer.

Slowly taking a few steps at a time, I started making my way towards the back. Every so often there would be a low bang, from the direction I was heading in.

My heart started beating faster, as I got closer. But what I heard next stopped me in my tracks.

A low growl emanated from around me. Jumping, I turned around feeling something watching me.

"Matty? Matt please tell me that was your stomach." I mumbled, as I spun around.

"What are you talking about, babe? I can barely hear you." Matt shouted. I could literally feel my heart beating against my chest. Thats when I knew it wasn't Matt

That's when the growl got louder. I gulped down the lump in my throat as I tried to scream for Matt. But nothing came out. Not a sound.

Keeping my eyes focused on the corner, I slowly started backing myself up. Trying to make it back to Matt, hopefully in one piece.

The growl continued to grow louder. I couldn't take it any longer and took off, running towards Matt. It was so dark I could hardly see where I was going. But a mist started to appear. A shadowy figure forming. It's ears pointed back, and its eyes narrowed with a look of pure evil inside those pitch black orbs. It's nosed was scrunched so its sharp pointed teeth showed.

My heart had stopped at this point. The demon in the mist inching closer and I was almost frozen in my spot.

"Baby?" I heard Matt yell, concerned filled his voice. I tried to answer but no words passed my lips. "Baby, what's wrong?!"

Thats when a scream left my lips and my feet began to run in place. Being so focused on getting back to him, I tripped over something, sending myself flying to the ground. I landed face first, slamming my head against the concrete. Ignoring the searing pain coming from my nose, I scrambled to my feet and rushed over to Matt, who I could see staring at the computer, with his jaw dropped wide open now.

"Matt!" I whispered fast, fear consuming my body."We... We need to go."

"Vindictam" I heard a harsh voice yell out. I looked down at Matt as he rewinded the tape. "Vindictam." it shouted again.

Vindictam! The tape shouted one last time, making us both jump out of our skin. It was the same word that came up when we did the Ouija board, and both of us recognised that.

"Matt, please can we get out of here?" I pleaded, as I wiped the warm liquid, I knew was blood off of my face. My eyes frantically looking over my shoulder sensing something inching closer.

"Yeah. Yeah, let's go" Matt started picking up the laptop. That's when the growl started again. It sounded closer, like it was surrounding us.

I jumped into Matt's arms, trying to keep calm. He gripped onto me, his body shaking just as badly as mine.

"Baby, I want you to run." Matt whispered against my ear. I shook my head, because I wasn't leaving with out him. "Babe, go!" He sternly insisted, quickly shoving me towards the stairs.

I stumbled a bit, but I quickly took off up the steps. With each step I took, I heard Matt's right behind me. The growl, and bangs following us as well. With each step we took, what ever was chasing seemed to bang up the steps faster.

Breathing heavily, I finally made it to the door. Flinging it open, I came flying into the hallway. My body landing on the floor. Matt skidded right behind me, but he turned around and slammed the door shut. Resting his body against it.

The door banged loudly, almost like someone hit it. Then it went eerily quiet. I laid there, staring at Matt, just wanting to get the fuck out of here.

Laying on the floor I ignored the tremendous pain radiating across the front of my face. I could hear Matt panting from behind me. But it's what I didn't hear, that scared me. None of our friends rushed out to see why we just ran up a solid flight of stairs in under a second.

Rolling over onto my hands and knees I started to crawl. Wanting out of my fucking house.

"Linds." I heard Matt following after me. "Baby please stay close." He pleaded, and I stopped pulling myself to my feet. Feeling him stand up beside me, wrapping an arm around my waist, trying to keep me close.

"Did... Did you see that?" My lips trembled as I spoke, and Matt just nodded his head.

"Let's find the others and get the fuck out of here." He quietly said.

"Yeah." I whispered as we slowly walked towards the kitchen. In the direction that Brian and Charles wandered off too.

As we inched closer to the kitchen door, I could see a flickering light bouncing off the walls. Illuminating the room just enough to get a small glimpse of room before it went pitch dark again.

At this point my thoughts were running wild, wondering if the guys had saw something and took off. I wouldn't have blamed them if they did.

Finally we stepped into the kitchen the fridge door was wide open, the light blinking on and off, giving a eerie vibe to the room. Why the fuck would they open the fridge?

As if thinking the same thing Matt's grip on me grew tighter. Until my feet stepped into a slick puddle on the floor. Causing my one foot to slip out from underneath me, sending me and Matt to the ground in a heap. A scream had left my lips again as I landed on the hard ground. My arms splaying out, trying to cushion my fall. But it didn't help, they just slipped from underneath me as well.

Groaning to myself, I sat up. My head pounding even worse, due to the fact I had just tripped again. But the ache didn't keep my attention for long. The feeling of a liquid running down my forearms did.

Gulping back the panic, I lifted my arms up hoping to god it was just water. Even though deep down inside I knew it was much worse.

The deep red color stained my arms, as I held them up. Only being able to distinguish the fact I had blood everywhere when the fridge light came on. I didn't scream though, I couldn't. My lung wouldn't fill with enough air, as I gasped for any type of breath.

Shakily grabbing a hold of the counter top I dragged myself to my feet. My body leaning on the cool granite as I tried to catch my breath. Feeling Matt do the same as I did. Breathing out another breath, that's when my eyes fell on Zacky. Who was standing on the opposite edge of the kitchen counter.

His head dropped looking at the floor. My eyes slowly followed his gaze until I saw the bodies of two of my friends laying their. Both Charles and Brian's eyes were still wide open in pure terror. Blood covered and soaked their clothes as they lay lifeless on the ground.

"Zacky?" I almost cried out, trying to get his attention. But he didn't answer me.

"What the fuck man?" Matt finally spoke up, his body trembling next to mine.

This time, it got his attention. Causing Zacky to slowly turn his head in our direction. An evil, malicious grin spread from ear to ear.

"Zacky?" He finally laughed, turning around completely. "Is that who you think I am?" He laughed maliciously. "I was expecting so much more out of you, Lindsey. So, so much more, given the fact you saw me downstairs."

"W-What are you talking about?" I stuttered, starting to really freak out.

"Come on, now." He smiled, placing his hand on the counter. "Think really hard. What goes bump in the night?" He chuckled as my face visibly dropped, looking extremely amused. Matt shifting closer to me, trying to be my protector of sorts.

"You're... That thing we saw.... That ghost."

"Bingo! We have a winner! I do prefer the word demon though." He raised his arms in the air, giving me time to start backing up with Matt.

"Leave Zacky alone, he didn't do anything." I spat at him, my confidence growing since the counter was between the two of us.

"My dear, I'm afraid Zacky hasn't been here at all. Thinking about it, he hasn't been here in about a year." He chuckled as he slowly started around the counter, making Matt and I slowly move in the opposite direction.

That's when I saw it, the moon light that shown through the window made the tip stand out in his hands. The light reflexed off the blade of the knife as he dragged it across the counter, allowing an awful noise to pierce through the kitchen.

"Zacky, is right there. He was with us all last night." Matt said, his voice wavering slightly as I swallowed the growing lump in my throat. But Zacky... Who ever it was shook his head disappointingly.

"He was so easy to take, given his state. All I had to do was let him run me over, and his soul was mine for the taking. But that's the price of evil I suppose." He paused for a moment, looking at the blade of the knife, and then back at me. His words instantly clicking in my head. This demon... Was the guy we ran over last Halloween. "Zacky's damned soul was what I was looking for that night but I didn't think I'd ever find something more appealing. When you came around and looked into my cold lifeless eyes, I knew I had to have you. And these guys just got in my way." He angrily spat, stepping around towards me. Pointing to the bodies on the floor.

"This can't be fucking happening." I shook my head feeling the tears start welling in my eyes. "It's just a bad nightmare." I closed my eyes and tried opening them again. Trying desperately to wake myself up.

"But it isn't my darling." Zacky laughed and threw the blood covered knife. "This nightmare has just begun."

My heart stopped when I heard a loud groan. Matt who was standing next to me was now slumped on the ground. The knife protruding from his chest. Blood dripping from the corners of his mouth. At this point I no longer cared what was after me. I dropped to my knees and let my hands hover over his body. Frantically looking for something I could do to save him.

"Run..." His words were mumbled from the blood in his mouth. But I still understood him and I shook my head not wanting to leave him. "Baby go, go... get... Help..." Matt's words slowly came to a stop and his haggard breathing halted.

His eyes were wide open but I knew he was gone. Making my vision blur even more with my tears. But I still got up, leaving my love. Seeing Zacky still standing there with an amused smile.

"Ready to play yet Linds?" He asked, and the next thing I knew smoke filled the kitchen.

The same smoke that filled the basement. The eyes were the first thing I saw, causing me to back up. They were boring holes into my body as its shadowy figure took form. It's jagged teeth inching slowly closer letting out a deep growl.

That's when I started running again. My shoes slipping on the blood that lined the kitchen floor, but somehow I still made it out without falling. My hands reached out, touching each side of the wall as I ran. Using them as a way to steady myself.

The menacing growls and snarls chasing after me. Causing the objects lining the walls behind me to burst into pieces or to be flung into another direction.

Just as I round the corner, my breathing became labored. My heart bursting through my chest but I kept running. Until the door to the basement flew open in my path. Before I had time to react, I slammed head on into the thick wooden door. Causing me to fall flat to the floor and my vision to go black.

Fluttering my eyes open a few moments later, I saw the shadowy demon dragging me closer to the basement steps. My hands reached out desperately gripping ahold of the loose wooden floor boards. This act only seemed to piss him off more and his head snapped around at me. His mouth opening as he barred his teeth.

"Don't worry my dear." He laughed and in one swift motion he yanked on my body. Making my nails break and peel off.

My blooded fingers still clawed the best they could. Ignoring the searing pain, I was in. Trying anything that could possibly get me out of this. But I knew there was nothing.

The demon began whistling a low strung out tune as it started down the stairs. Since I was laying on my back, with each step he took I slammed down one. My head hitting the edge of each of the stairs. But I still didn't give up, I turned over and reached for the light at the top of the stairs. The same small light that was peeking its way in from the doorway.

"Oh yes, I forgot." He smirk, and I watched as he flicked one smokey finger causing the door to slam shut with a loud bang.

The world went dark around me, and I knew that there was no hope. Evil had caught up to me, and I finally had to pay the price.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoy this, it's my first time writing in a contest so we will see how it turns out!

I'm not to sure of it but I could have written a ton more chapters, but I feel this is the best!

Enjoy!