Sequel: Family Goals

Keep It Kasual

Chapter 16

Thursday the 12th of September, I’d been in Pittsburgh about a week now. Today I was watching and directing traffic for our move into the new house. That meant an early morning for our entire family as Kris had to be at Camp by 8 am. For me that meant I had to be ready to go at 7 am so we could go to the new place and get Kris and Marc-Andre off on time. Yesterday they had testing and in-house media stuff while Alex and I packed for yet another day.

The movers were at the condo finishing off the packing and loading so Kris could get to work on time. I would be going back later to make sure everything had been taken and clean up the condo. For now I sat in the kitchen and enjoyed my coffee. Vero was making breakfast for the 4 of us who were left and make it perfectly clear I was _not_ going to be helping her. “Have you two decided when you are going to ‘ave your housewarming?” She asked as she was cooking.

I sighed, set down the mug and slumped into the countertop. “No, we haven’t even had time to really talk about when we want to get married either. It’s all happening so fast.”

Alex and Estelle were playing on the floor as Vero chuckled. “You will find a balance and so will Kris. Remember ‘e is going t’rough a lot right now too. Just remember every hockey couple goes t’rough t’is. Come, pull up t’e website and look at t’e preseason calendar.” I moved and pulled up what she bade me do. “Ok, look at t’e dates and look at a normal calendar. Find a date that t’e boys will be in town before t’e regular season starts, t’at’s October 3rd for us.”

I looked at the dates for games and then for when they should be home. “Ok so it looks like the soonest we might be able to have it is the weekend of the 27th.” Then I thought about it. “Damn that won’t work. The guys are gone that weekend aren’t they?”

Vero set a plate at my elbow and sighed. “Yeah, t’ey are going to West Point again. First game is on Thursday, maybe we can have it on Monday or Tuesday?” She set her own plate down and we ate before the kids could complain.

After hooking the kids into their chairs and feeding Estelle, Alex could mostly feed himself breakfast, I thought about it. “Monday would be better. Tough but better. It will give those with kids in school time to come and see the place and get home before bedtime. We should probably invite the neighbors too just so they know who we are.” I handed Alex his cup and he smiled at me.

Vero nodded. “Good idea, means lot of people but better to get it over with. I bet the girls would be willing to make finger foods to help. Or maybe you can ‘ave it catered.” She was feeding Estelle and it was clear that the girl was having fun too.

I managed to talk Vero into at least letting me talk to Kris about having this housewarming so soon so we tabled the idea for now. When I spoke with Kris when he got home, he was fine with the idea and even the timing. “We normally rotate who has parties, t’is is a good reason even so close to the BBQ to have one. We can celebrate the start of t’e season and t’e house. Were you t’inking of haven t’e neighbors too?”

“Yeah, kill two birds with one stone. They might know what they’re getting into because of Marc and Vero, but I’d like them to know for sure.” We had put Alex to bed an hour ago and were lounging on our bed as I looked through invitations on the net.

Kris sat up. “Wait, go back…” I flipped back a digital page and looked over at him. Something had him happy. “T’is one.” He tapped the screen on a black and gold hockey themed invitation. “Leave t’em in t’e neighbors mailboxes and I can put t’em in t’e guys stalls.” I clicked on the invitation to personalize it and leveled a glare at him.

“You realize I want the girls and kids to come too right? Besides Vero already said she’d help me personally deliver them to the girls. To those guys who don’t have ladies I’d still like to personally invite them.” He scoffed at me. “I do, I want to get to know them on my turf so I’m more comfortable. Sure the house is echoing and in boxes right now but it won’t be by then.” I curled an arm around him. “The house doesn’t have to be perfect right away, it can be a work in progress. We have time to make it perfect for us. I _might_ want to get the living room done before then but other than that everything can be done at a slower pace.”

Kris kissed me. “Fine, make up t’e invitations and I will make sure t’at you get to personally deliver t’em to the guys who do not have ladies here.”

On the 17th Alex and I walked into the Consol Energy Center with Vero and Estelle. We had spent the morning delivering invitations to the ladies and now it was almost time to finish our deliveries. Vero led us into the family lounge. I could hear the guys deeper in the locker room laughing and joking with each other. “Must have been a good practice.”

Vero chuckled. “Sounds like it. ‘ow do you want to let Kris know you are ‘ere?” I put Alex’s bag down and called him over. Her jaw dropped as I stripped him to his diaper.

“You think this will do the trick?” She nodded weakly. I led Alex over to where the noise was strongest. “Alex, go find papa. Bring papa back ok big boy?”

He looked at me and then himself. “Nakie mama.”

I kissed his forehead. “I know ma loutre (my otter), it will bring papa looking for me faster. I’ll watch from here ok?” Alex grinned up at me. He’d found out what he wanted, that it was ok that he was nakie right now, and toddled off towards the noise.

I could tell when he hit the locker room by the uproar that happened. I looked over at Vero and giggled, to which she just rolled her eyes. Then I heard Kris asking Alex how he got here and why he was naked. I couldn’t hear Alex’s reply but I did soon after see Kris coming down the hall carrying our son. I waved my fingers as he came into sight and saw Kris visibly sigh in relief.

“Did you really think I’d let him run around naked without knowing about it?” Kris kissed me, to much whooping behind him.

“Non, but he was a big surprise.” Alex got set down and toddled over to his clothes. “You have t’e invitations I take it?” I nodded, smiling as I watched Alex try to put on his shirt. I nodded towards the boy and moved so I could help him.

I moved my bag closer to Kris with my foot as I helped Alex put his clothes back on. Never have I met a child who hated being naked as much as this little guy. He pulled out the invitations and grinned. I had taken the time to not list them by their real names but instead by what he called them.

Aleks came padding in. “So Tanger, now that mini me is clothed… is there a reason they are here?” I had to smile, “mini me”…

“T’ey brought invitations. I did not expect t’em today but Kallie found a way to make sure I couldn’t miss t’em, non?” He ruffled Alex’s hair while the youngling just grinned.

She sat down on the chair and leaned in. “Invitations? To what?” You could see the curiosity that came off of her.

“To our housewarming on the 30th.” I said getting into the conversation. “Not that the house will be complete but it will be livable and hopefully inviting. We’re inviting the neighbors too. We’re here because you were here and so are all the guys without ladies. We don’t want to leave anyone out.” I sorted through the invites and found Aleks and Sid’s.

Aleks opened the invite and beamed. “You’re down the street from V and MAF?” I nodded and she laughed. “That’s a good neighborhood. Most of them will show up, they won’t even be surprised to have us there either. You can count on the two of us, even if I have to drag him with me.”

Sid came in on the end of her sentence. “Drag who, where?” We all laughed as Aleks handed him the invitation. “Wow man you weren’t kidding when you said you two were serious.” Aleks pointed further down on the invite. “Oh, I’m the who. Isn’t this the weekend we’re gone?”

I laughed, I couldn’t help it. Everyone said that at first so far. “No, it’s the Monday after. Between the West Point trip and the first game. I know Monday is an odd day to have something like this but it was the only day we thought was safe.”

After everyone had their invitations I felt more comfortable. I couldn’t really explain it to Kris later, why I felt so at ease being in the locker room and talking to these guys, I just was. They must have sensed it too cause they all seemed to lighten up with me too.

In the next week or so I spent a lot of time between unpacking and getting at least the main floor livable. Kris and I had talked and decided that we would use the furniture from the condo here in the basement and get new stuff for the great room. Fortunately he liked the ideas I had so while it took a while to find all the right things, we _both_ were happy with the results.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was Sunday, the 29th, after church. Vero and Carole-Lynn semi cornered me and begged me to let them take Alex to meet the guys. "It will get 'im out of your 'air for a few hours. We are taking ours to the zoo, what is one more?" I did have a few things to finish up before tomorrow afternoon's housewarming.

"Ma Loutre, how would you like to go see some real otters? Tante Vero and Tante Carole-Lynn want to take you. Is that ok?" Alex looked at the other kids excitement and nodded. I kissed his forehead.

"Bon, let's go get you in the car." They left and I headed back inside, after I changed I finished up the fruit skewers that Alex kept trying to "help" with, and by help I mean eating the fruit. After that I went to my room to edit a few shots I had taken and wanted to use as decoration here. I have no idea how long I was sitting there working on the print of Montreal I wanted to hang in the living room, but my butt was a bit sore so I decided to take a little break.

I grabbed some juice from the fridge and wandered through the living room that I had put together over the last 2 weeks. I loved it. As I did that, the doorbell rang. I went over, opened the door and got the shock of my life. "Ca... Catherine! You can't be here. The protective order is still valid here."

She sneered at me. "I don't care about a piece of paper." She stepped closer. "I'm here for what's mine."

I stood my ground. "I don't think there's anything that's yours here." I looked inside the house and then back at her. "Nope, all mine and Kris'. You can go now." I was trying to be pleasant while I thought of a way to get this woman arrested.

Catherine grabbed my shirt and pulled me towards her. "This house is mine and the man is mine. You can keep the kid." She then yanked me out of the house onto the porch. It took me a minute to understand that she was going to try and tear me apart.

Unfortunately for her, she underestimated me and how well I could fight. I didn't fight like a girl. I balled up my fist and punched her in the stomach. Catherine fell off the porch, taking me with her due to her hold on my shirt. We rolled around on the walkway grappling for a little bit, neither being able to get good purchase on the other. Then we hit the driveway. I had broken her hold on my shirt, after she started ripping it. I got an arm under me and rose up hitting her in the face with my other hand. She got a mad look on her face, like she had snapped.

She grabbed my hands and we rolled again and then she began biting and scratching me. At one point she got a hold of my hair and yanked hard. It felt like she'd pulled some out. She let out a scream of anger and slapped me hard. It must have been with an open fist as it made me a bit dizzy, just enough so that she could pick up one of the rocks on the edge of the driveway that we hadn't cleared away yet. She slammed it on the right side of my face several times before I was able to push her off balance. I'd had enough.

I could feel that my eye would be swelling shut soon enough. I didn't know about the blood that was oozing from a few wounds she'd given me, mostly scratches on my arms. I got to my feet and staggered a bit away from her, I did _not_ feel well. "Get away from my house, _stay_ away from my family."

She launched herself at me again. I went down in a semi-heap due to her weight. Catherine got her hands around my neck and began squeezing. I fought for air. I finally remembered a trick Dom had taught me, worked my hands inside of her arms and took out her elbows. As I did I head-butted her. I didn't hear anything crack but I could breathe again. Catherine began scratching my face as I tried getting her away from me so I could maybe call for help.

As it turned out I didn't have to worry. Andrew, our neighbor across the cul de sac, came running over as he saw me on the ground being choked. "Kalista? Holy hell!" He pulled his cell out of his pocket and dialed. "Yes 911, this is Andrew Long from 1129 Castletown Court. My neighbor is being beaten by a woman I've never seen before. Yes, we're at 1131 Castltown Court. No I'm watching them fight right now, I'm not sure how to separate them. Please hurry Kalista is bleeding. No I won't go anywhere."

As I raggedly caught my breath, she glared at me. I knew then the only way to stop her was to nearly cripple her. Catherine took a swipe at me again and I saw it coming. I went straight in and dumped her on her ass. I then hit her in the solar plexus with the heel of my palm, to hopefully make _her_ gasp a bit. It did make her stagger back a little bit, but it got me into a bad position. She grabbed my right arm and wrenched it back to the point where I felt it pop. Stifling my scream, I channeled it into a vicious kick to her knee. That's when I heard the sirens.

Within 3 minutes I had her pulled off of me forcefully and I got moved, while sobbing due to a hand on my injured shoulder. It took me two tries to get out why I was crying. When I finally got it out, they called a second ambulance.

Of course this is when the rest of them got back to Marc and Vero's house. I was being checked by an EMT when Kris hit his knees in front of me. "Mon amour what happened? " The fear on his face plain. I could also hear Alex being restrained my someone.

"Sir, I need to get her into the ambulance and to the hospital." The EMT said carefully while slowly trying to get me up. Kris locked eyes with him and then nodded. Between them I got carefully loaded onto a stretcher and into the second ambulance. "We're heading to Magee-Womens Hospital​ if you want to meet us there."

Alex must have broken free of whomever was holding him as he ran into Kris' legs nearly screaming for me. That jarred Kris enough to get him to understand that he needed to take Alex and care for him while I was being tended. He looked at our son's tear streaked face and began soothing him. "Mama has a lot of owies, we'll go in the car to see her after we talk to the nice policeman. " Of course Alex hated the idea but I didn’t hear anything more as I was then whisked away.

A couple hours, a CT scan and popping my arm back into place with good drugs later, I was telling the cops my side of what happened when there was a knock. Kris and Alex came in. I knew I had my arm in a sling and could now see the blood that had come up through the wounds she had given my arms. I looked at the Detective. “Do you mind if I hold my son while we finish?”

“Not at all, we’re nearly done.” Kris carefully set Alex on my left side and stood on my right silently. “Now, Mrs. Letang You were telling me how this all started.” The Detective prompted me.

I nodded. “I was in the house by myself after letting Vero and Carole-Lynn take Alex to the zoo with their kids. I had come up from working on something downstairs and the doorbell rang. Seeing that we are having a housewarming tomorrow I thought it might be someone from the neighborhood RSVP-ing for that so I answered the door. Unfortunately it was Catherine. I reminded her that she couldn’t be at the house because our protective order is still valid here, we made sure it was registered when we came back to Pittsburgh. She told me she didn’t care and that she wanted what was hers. I guess she didn’t like me looking inside the house and seeing nothing but what Kris and I have and telling her so and to go cause she grabbed me and said that both the house and Kris were hers but that I could, and I quote, keep the kid. She yanked me out of the entryway and was about to wail on me when I punched her in the stomach and she ended up taking us off the porch. It gets a bit hazy after that.” I hadn’t looked at Kris during my explanation, I did so after I stopped and was taken back by the look of shock on his face.

Detective Tate nodded as he finished writing things down in his notebook. He looked up and asked the next question. “Is there anything besides your word that you may have to back you up on this?”

I sat in the bed, thinking about this. I could understand _why_ he wanted to know it, just not if I had anything. I stared at the blanket on my legs and then looked at Kris. We had something that might help my word but I couldn’t remember what it was called. Kris spoke up. “Do you remember if you set the surveillance system?”

Ah, that was it! “Yes, I did. I do that whenever I’m home. We got it because he’s at the age where he likes to open things. Having the doors and windows chime when they open lets us know to go check on Alex quickly. The video recorders go all the time though. Would that be good enough?” I looked back at Detective Tate who was nodding.

“Those would be perfect. Can you, Mr. Letang get those for me or do I have to contact the company directly?”

Kris pulled out his phone and dialed the security company. “Hello, t’is is Mr. Letang from 1131 Castletown Court. I need a copy of the last 24 to 48 hours of our video cameras to be made ready for the police. My wife was attacked at our home.” He listened for a moment and then answered his security question. “Celeste. Merci, no have them under the name…” “Detective Tate.” Kris repeated the name and then hung up. “Our home security is t’rough Vivint Incorporated at 1049 California Street just off of 65. T’ey said it would take t’em an hour to get t’e discs ready.”

The detective nodded and soon took his leave saying that if he had any further questions he would call us. Kris sat down in the chair and looked me over carefully. “You look horrible my love. T’e good news is t’at now the police are going to keep her locked up for a while.” He carefully touched my face. “W’at did she hit you wit’?”

I winced a bit as the wounds weren’t bandaged. “Her hands, her nails, a rock… I think that’s it. I’m not sure she was sane Kris. You should know she choked me too, I might have some pretty bad bruises in a day or two.” Alex had snuggled up to me and hadn’t moved. I looked down at him and found out why, he was not only asleep on my good shoulder but he had his hand wrapped in the top I had help putting on.

Kris smiled and leaned forward. “You will heal, but I will tell you t’at you are going to practice wit’ me tomorrow. I want t’e team doctor to double check your shoulder. I know t’at t’e doctors are good here but it will make me feel better.”

I was in no shape to argue with him and was surprised when a voice from the door spoke. “I would encourage you to have another doctor check on how she’s doing after what’s happened. I would also encourage you not to leave her alone for the next few days just in case. We’re not completely sure she doesn’t have a concussion.”

Kris chuckled. “I’m sure my employer can find out if she does or not. We’re well versed in looking for concussions.”

The doctor just smiled and nodded. “I’m well aware of that. Which is also why I have no problem with it. I have a prescription here for her as well as some discharge instructions. She shouldn’t carry the young one out of here but as long as she’s careful for the next week or two she should be ok.” He handed Kris a stack of paperwork.

As I carefully walked out of the ER, I found Vero, Marc-Andre and Carole-Lynn. I could tell that they all wanted to get close and hug me, what I couldn’t see was Kris shaking his head. They followed us out to the car like ducklings not sure how to help. Fortunately once Kris got me in the car, he explained to them when he had heard from me talking to the cop.

As he crawled into bed, after facing tons of phone calls, Kris pulled me gently onto his chest. It had taken Alex a long time and being tucked up next to me for him to fall asleep. I didn’t mind so much though, I needed the comfort of my family as much as they did. We lay there cuddled close and then he spoke. “I hope that you will be ok mon amour. It scared me a lot to find so many cops and such around our home when we got here.”

I was drifting towards sleep but I was able to keep up my side of the conversation. “It scared me too. I’ll go wherever you want me to for however long you want me to. I don’t think I want to be alone for a few days.”

I’m not sure if it was the drugs I was given or my adrenaline finally wearing off but I slipped into slumber just after I felt him kiss my head and whisper. “You won’t be.”

The next morning I woke alone in bed. I could hear Kris and Alex in the kitchen. I carefully got up and walked downstairs, oh how I hurt. As I seated myself at the breakfast bar, Kris looked up. With a smile he put the open bottle of painkillers and some juice in front of me. I carefully took what I was supposed to and smiled back at him.

Soon we were all dressed and heading for the CEC. I hadn’t looked in the mirror so far today, not wanting to see just how badly I looked. I guess we were earlier than Kris normally was as the locker room was pretty much empty. As we got into the lounge I heard someone. “Tanger? Everything ok?”

Kris turned. “I am fine. My wife, however…” Someone in pens gear came over and hissed. Kris explained quickly ending with. “I just want someone I know to check her and make sure she’s really ok.”

Stewie, for that’s how I’d been introduced to him, nodded. “You guys are early enough that I have no problem doing that. I can grab Dr. T and Jorie too so we can put a plan together for her shoulder. Come on.” He lead us into the training room and quietly explained to the people in there why I was there. No sooner was that done but they all started to put me through range of painful motion tests.

“Good news is that while we can see this hurts, it feels right on the inside. If you’ve been wearing that sling it will help a lot too.” Dr. Tanya put an ice pack on my shoulder which helped quell the burning I was feeling. “Unfortunately we can’t help the bruising and scratches. If you got painkillers from the hospital I would keep taking them for a few more days. Wear the sling for a week and cuddled as much as you want with the little one on a couch or bed.”

Of course soon enough the meds were kicking and the team was coming in. Marc and Pascal stopped by to see how I was doing but all in all I was left alone. Alex didn’t want to stay still while they were out on the ice practicing which I couldn’t blame him. So instead I let him run up and down the halls until he tired himself out. Then he wanted me to sing to him. It had become a nap time ritual. “What song ma loutre?” I started a few bars though nothing I had sang before would make him happy. Finally I decided to take a chance. “Stand up Alex and I’ll sing a good song.” So he did so and without another thought I started into Once upon a Dream.

Of course I didn’t see the guys had begun coming off the ice just then. My focus was on my son who was standing happily while mama sang to him. When I had sung it I saw that Alex was happy and listing to one side. I knelt down and let him lean against me while he rubbed at his eyes. It was then that I heard sticks hitting the carpet. I turned here my head to find the entire team standing there.

Marc was quickly laying down in front of Alex. “Your mama sang so pretty.” Alex sleepily looked at him grouchily.

“My mama, no sing you.”

It took everything I had not to laugh at Alex defending me singing to him and him alone. Marc looked at him and then back at the team which was still kind of standing there. “We heard you mama sing, that is nice song.” He then got up and Kris came over and tucked Alex onto his shoulder.

Aleks was the only one still outside when I finally turned around. “You have a great voice Kallie. You might think about asking if they need someone to sing the National Anthem as a back up.”

I blushed. “I actually don’t know the American National Anthem. Now if they need someone to do O Canada, that I can do. Actually I have a pretty odd repertoire mostly Disney or Folk songs. Alex likes anything so it’s pretty easy.” She lead me into the lounge.

“Most of us can’t hold a tune in a bucket with both hands. Trust me, these guys will love anything. If it keeps little man happy, don’t worry about what we’ll think.” She showed me where to plug in my iPod in the lounge. Once she was out of the room I decided to let Alex hear some of his favorite and plugged in My SCA songs. He loved those songs as much as I did. Alex was on the couch but happily listened to me sing along with it.

Freshly showered Kris came in during one of the solos in Faerie Queen which I had sung with some friends during college. I couldn’t play the violin to save my hide but I knew every word and the timing. So while I had my eyes closed listening to it and counting until it was time for me to sing again he snuck Alex into his lap and listened.

On the way home, with Alex asleep in the car Kris asked about what he’d heard. “Why did he want to hear you sing?”

I smiled. “Because it’s his nap time ritual. One day while you were gone he wouldn’t settle so I sang until he was mostly asleep and ever since he wants to hear me sing. If it’s a bad night I’ll do it then too. It comforts him.” It comforted me too so I wasn’t going to argue.

We got home and had a easy lunch. While we were setting up everything but the food Kris asked me to put on some of my favorite songs to sing to. So we had fun listening and laughing to them.

The housewarming started easily with the songs we had playing. We had decided just to put our iPods on shuffle and let it go. The team all showed up within a half hour of 4. I was right about one thing, I was more comfortable in our home than I had been at Sid and Aleks’ place.

I did several house tours while Kris handled putting the food out. The entire team, their families and the neighborhood all came through our house in the next 4 hours. I found that while a lot of the wives liked me a lot, some of the girlfriends didn’t. That didn’t bother me really. I wasn’t here for any of them, I was here for Kris. I was outside watching the kids running around having a blast when Carole-Lynn found me.

“How are you doing darling?” I shrugged. “You’ve done a great job showing everyone a side of you that made them see just how cool you are. Pascal told me that you had them all pumped up after practice with one song.”

I chuckled. “I would _hope_ that song would pump them up, it’s a song about going to war. I recorded it for Frankie who always listens to it before going out for warm ups. Dom and Benj also have songs they like to listen to by me too. They say it’s so they know I’m always in their corner.”

She chuckled. “That makes sense. You do realize that when Frankie makes it you won’t be in his corner anymore.” We watched as the kids started playing freeze tag.

“That’s not true. I’ll always be in his corner cheering for him to do his best. I just won’t be in his _team’s_ corner anymore. I was kind of embarrassed when I got caught singing to Alex today. Only he and I knew I did that.” She patted my hand. Kris came over and handed me another pain pill and drink.

Eventually nearly everyone said their goodbyes and made their way homes. That left Marc, Vero, Kris and myself. They left me watching the kids and easily cleaned up. When they were done, the Fleury’s told me to call if I needed anything and Kris put Alex to bed. After arming the alarm I made my way upstairs and slowly worked my way out of my clothes, ever thankful I didn’t wear sleeves today.

Carefully snuggled up against Kris I let out a large sigh. Kris pulled me closer and laid a kiss on my head. It might have been a difficult day in some ways, but in others I knew that this year would be easier because of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll post the stuff I made up for this chapter tomorrow night.

Please let me know what you think of the fight!