Sequel: Family Goals

Keep It Kasual

Chapter 18

***Flashback***

“Seriously Kals. If he’s beating you, we’ll come get you.” I sighed into the phone. Ciera was my old college roomie and one of my best friends since childhood, something about being hockey sisters. Her younger brother now plays for our hometown team, the Sens, Jean-Gabriel Pageau.

“No Ers (airs), Kris didn’t do anything to hurt me at all. His ex-turned-psycho did. Now will you _listen_ to me?” I sighed heavily. I loved Ciera a lot but this had to stop, I’d had enough from everyone already about it.

I heard her sigh and then someone ask her who she was on the phone with. I was soon on speaker with both Ers and JG. “Ok, _now_ can I ask what I need to?” They both giggled and I went ahead. “Ers, I did not get beaten up by my fiancé. That being said, I do want you to get your butt down here this weekend.”

I heard JG snort. “Now _why_ would I send my sister to you there? And just who is this fiancé of yours?”

I shook my head, even though he couldn’t see it. Alex came up and snuggled up with one of his books. I ran my fingers through his hair and he smiled up at me, he’d taken pretty well to mama being owied. “Because I can’t find the perfect dress without her, let alone find a dress for my attendants. As for who my soon-to-be husband is, she knows. To give _you_ a clue, however, you play his team in December on the 23rd, again just before the Olympic break and as your last game of the regular season.” I heard thumbing through something.

“You’re marrying a Penguin?! Kallie how could you?!” he said loudly. I had to move the phone away from my ear he was so loud.

Alex looked at the phone so I ruffled his hair again. “Well if you two had been in town last July you’d know why and how we got together in the first place _or_ you could just trust Frankie when he tells you that my fiancé is a good guy who loves me. JG, I never thought I’d have what I do now. I’ve got a great guy who loves me, a son who is everything a mother could ask for and a team behind us that actually cares about how not just the guys are doing but us ladies as well.” It was true I had everyone check on me including Mario and Nathalie.

I heard him sigh. “When does she need to be there?” He asked. “I wanna be her plus one too. I wanna meet this guy and know for sure you’re in good hands.”

I sighed and added his name to the growing list. “That’s fine by me, I have an appointment next Thursday afternoon. Paula is coming in that morning. Neither of them will need a hotel, we have plenty of room. The guys will be out of town that weekend so it’ll just be me and Alex at the house.”

JG got her ticket booked and gave us the info. He needed to get going so he left the two of us talking over what kind of dresses I should have the attendants wearing.

***Thursday, October 10th, 2013***

Having been tasked by my wedding planner to get a list of things done that she sent me, the top of which was finding dresses for myself and my attendants, I stood in the airport waiting for Ciera and Paula to make their appearances. I had been cleared Wednesday afternoon to take my sling off due to how well I had been at doing the rehab I’d been given and that I wasn’t out of bed without the sling. This meant that I carefully perched Alex on my shoulders so he could see and not be bored.

I was watching and spotted Paula. I waved with the arm _not holding Alex and she made her way over. I then spotted Ciera walking the wrong way. “Ciera!” She spun and spotted us. As she scooted her way through the departing international travelers she was smiling. We all hugged carefully and made our way to the parking garage.

“I hope you don’t mind, I brought my kit too. I’m in-between gigs right now and well this way we can figure out how you want to look early.” How often did you have a well known movie make up artist willing to do your wedding look?

I was flabbergasted. “You are in-between gigs? Who are you and what have you done with Ciera?” Paula had taken Alex from my shoulders, much to their relief, while we were walking. “It’s fine Ers, probably a good idea actually. This way I can knock that out too and make Rachel thrilled with me.”

Paula took up the conversation and changed topics. “Just what have you been feeding this boy? He’s gotten so big since July.” She was tickling a now quirking Alex as she asked.

The escalator was backed up so we walked up the stairs carrying the bags. “Oh you know, just food. He eats what we do which is well balanced and yummy. Before you ask Ers, he’s mine by choice. Kris asked me before we filed the adoption paperwork. He’s my loutre and I’m his…”

“Mama!” Alex said proudly. Paula bounced him a little bit as we walked up the stairs to the car.

When we got everyone loaded Paula spoke again. “So where’s Kris this week?”

I handed the parking ticket to the attendant and paused. “You know off hand I forget right this second. Vero or Carole-Lynn should know. I’ve been busy finding a niche with the girls, decorating a new home and now planning a wedding so I’m a bit behind on where the guys are.” I chuckled. All of those things were true. However in the time since we had gotten to Pittsburgh I’d gotten more comfortable with everyone. I was no longer unsure about where I fit. Now if the girls needed my help, they called.

As we began crossing the bridge Ciera sighed as she looked out the window. “This is a beautiful area. Have you taken any shots lately?”

I smiled. “Yeah I have. Most recently I took pictures of the Pens kids for Christmas cards. I’ve gotten some of the area when Alex and I go on our walks but with my injury and being busy with the new website I haven’t had a lot of time in the last week.” Yeah I had taken Sid’s idea of a secure website to the guys who did the Pens site and they and I spent a few days setting up a members only section of the Wives and Girlfriends webpages, well they set it up I was the admin for it.

Ciera whistled. “Wow a website. What prompted this and what’s it for?” I saw Paula lean forward in the back seat.

I shrugged as I drove. “It was an idea that one of the guys had a couple weeks ago. It’s a members only site with secure access from anywhere with WiFi. It’s so we at home can post pictures and such so the guys on the road can keep track of things going on here and vice versa. It’s been fun so far.” I explained how the idea came to light and how it was set up. They seemed impressed.

Paula smiled as she sat next to Alex. “So, just _how_ is the planning going? I know you said you had a rocking planner and your first venue was luckily open. Where was that again?” She sounded a bit tired.

“Notre-Dame du Sacré-Cœur Chapel, The Chapel of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart of Montreal. It’s the same place that Alex was baptized. Actually it’s going really well. Rachel is wonderful, loves how simple our theme is and seems to be happy that we’re doing everything from the lists she gives us in a timely manner.” Yeah, she was great so far. She’d made this easy so far, I hoped it continued.

I followed Kilbuck Street to Mt. Nebo Road and then Nicholson Road to Rochester Road and finally got home. “So why are you two getting married in Montreal and not Gatineau?” Ciera asked as we turned into Castletown Court.

I smiled. “Because our life is in Montreal not in Gatineau. My folks don’t have the room to hold even just the three of us. Honestly I’ve also fallen for Montreal as well as a man from there.” I hit the garage door opener and pulled in. I chuckled as Vero opened the door to the house. We got out and as soon as Alex hit the floor he was bee-lining for his Tante Veronique.

“Hey V!” I said as I got closer. “This is Ciera my hockey sister and you should remember Paula.” Vero grinned. “Let me get them into rooms and we can open the computer to look.” I took them upstairs and showed them the two rooms we had ready. “You should know that Alex is in this room so if you can’t sleep through the possibility of an upset child the other would be better.” Paula scoffed and went into the room near Alex’s while Ciera went into the one closer to mine.

Soon we were back downstairs and looking up what designers Bridal Beginnings carried for bridesmaid dresses. We found out that they carried many of the brands on the website Weddington Way. We carefully started making a list of dresses we all liked but wanted to see on someone, then my phone rang. I took it to the kitchen and started lunch while I talked to whomever was calling. “Hello you’re go for Kallie.”

“I would hope so as I called you.” That answered who it was, the one person who wasn’t in the room with me who’d call my cell phone first, Kris. I smiled and leaned against the counter as I looked out the window without seeing it rain.

“Well then you’re in luck. What’s up buttercup?” I pulled myself together and began pulling things out for grilled cheese sandwiches and soup.

I heard Kris sigh heavily. “Do you think you have room for one more attendant?” I heard his sheepish tone and let him tell me everything. “I was talking to my favorite cousin, Jacque, about having to ask my attendants and he thought I was asking him and said he’d love to stand with me.” Ah family…

I sighed. “I’m sure there’s no unmasking either or else he won’t speak to you again.” Kris grunted. “Hold on, let me get the girls in on this conversation.” I walked back into the dining room that we’d begun using as a staging area for all things wedding related. “Ladies we have a problem.” That got them all sharply looking up. “Kris stepped in it and now we are uneven. There’s no unasking as it’s his favorite cousin. Who should I add?”

Ciera spoke up first. “None of the old crowd. You know how they would act if anyone else stood with you.” I thought about it and sighing, slipped into a chair. She was right.

Paula couldn’t think of anyone who would mesh well. “No one on my end either. They’re all uber busy in the summer.” Most of whom Paula knew were photographers. It was amazing that Ella had blocked that weekend already.

“Carole-Lynn won’t want to do it, even with Duper possibly being with Kris.” I could see her wheels turning. “Ah ha! Aleks! She loves you as much as any of us and she hardly ever gets a chance to be a girl-girl. Everyone seems to forget she’s a girl and not just a hockey player.”

I chuckled. “She’s perfect but would she have time or even want to?”

Kris snorted. “I’ll get her.” I heard him moving. “Hey Mal! Kallie has something to ask you!” I heard a few of the guys making whip jokes before a happy voice sang out.

“Shut it creeps!” She moved out into the echoey hall. “Hey lady, everything ok?” Things quieted down again so she must have found a quiet spot. “What is this thing that the guys are now teasing Tanger about?”

“Everything’s ok and I hope you won’t be too upset about it.” There was no easy way to ask this so I just did it straight out. “I was hoping that you would be free and willing to be one of my attendants.” I closed my eyes and hoped.

“This is cause of his idiot cousin isn’t it?”

I hung my head in shame and answered. “Yeah, none of us can think of anyone else who might fit in well with who I already have. The problem will be finding a dress around your schedule.” This might be very bad.

“Maybe… maybe not. When’s your appointment?” I heard her kicking something.

“Um, 2 o’clock this afternoon.” I now had my fingers crossed. “I don’t want to get in the way of anything though.”

Aleks scoffed. “I have this afternoon free actually. Where are you going to look?” I told her and heard a giggle. “I found mine at David’s Bridal, but I love it still. I’ll keep my laptop open when you’re there, we can FaceTime it while I look the dresses up here. I’ll do anything I can to help too. I didn’t get to plan my wedding, Mari and Sid did it. Most everything was a surprise.”

I exhaled, she was willing and able to do it this afternoon! I teared up as I spoke again. “Aleks, thank you.”

“Please… you’re letting me be a girl _and on the team. Just FaceTime me and we’ll work it all out.” She was remarkably calm for someone who couldn’t be here to try the dress on.

Vero explained further after we got off the phone. Aleks had been in the playoffs when Sid had the idea of them getting married. He and Mari really did plan the entire wedding. “Mari is an excellent resource if we get stuck, I wish she’d helped me.”

We had lunch and put Alex and Estelle down for a “rest”, it was how he would nap now I didn’t argue. During that time we narrowed what we liked from way too many to nine. I wrote down what designer, style number and the name of the color I liked the best and put it in my purse.

Then the three of them ganged up on me and we started looking at dresses for me. Out of all of them the only ones I liked were Maggie Sottero and Sottero-Midgley designs. Not all of them, but more than everyone else who was on the site.

Unfortunately the kids woke up and it was time to leave before I got to really take a look. We got the Bridal Beginnings with 10 minutes to wait before my appointment. Fortunately I had brought the busy book I had made for Alex that teaches needed skills and his messenger bag I made for him. The latter had color wonder paper and markers for him. Vero had brought things to busy Estelle as well.

I dialed Aleks’ FaceTime and waited for her to pick up. “Hey Aleks.” I said as she waved at everyone. “We’ve narrowed our dress choices for you guys to 9 from the hundreds that we found.” She found something to write with and on and I gave her the info I had.

“Sounds good, I’ll look those up and get them to your preferred color.” I hear keys clicking and saw her smiling. “These look nice Kallie. So light too, good for a summer wedding for sure.”

One of the ladies in the shop came over, her name tag said Carrie. “Excuse me are you the Brassard party?”

I handed my phone to Vero and smiled. “Yes, I’m Kalista Brassard, the bride and 3 of my 4 attendants are here in the flesh with the 4th on FaceTime. She’s on road trip.” Carrie smiled at all of us as I noticed Aleks wave.

We got into the space where we would be looking at dresses and Carrie sat down with us. “Is there anything you need or want to show me before we begin?”

Alex picked up his picture and showed it off, she smiled. I kissed his head and chuckled. “Um, well we did some research for the bridesmaid dresses and I have a designer for my dress but the kids woke up before we got a chance to really look at the dresses.” I handed her the notes I had made. “We found these on the Weddington Way website and double checked them all on the designers’ site as well. These 9 are the ones we’d like to look at first.”

Carrie laughed. “Well that’s a bit backwards but I’ll take any direction I can get. What was the designer you liked for your dress?” She took her pen out of her hair and she poised to write on my notes.

Vero smiled. “We looked at every designer you had listed on your website. The ones she liked the most were Maggie Sottero and Sottero-Midgley.” She took out another toy for Estelle who made a happy noise and grabbed it.

Carrie nodded. “At the moment we don’t have any Sottero-Midgley that aren’t already spoken for. We _do have an expansive Maggie Sottero collection though.”

Ciera came up behind me and began putting my hair into a low chignon. “We haven’t finalized her hair yet either but she’ll probably wear it up at least partially.” Carrie nodded.

I knew the tone Ciera used, she’d do her best to make me beautiful but my look would not be finalized until she knew what she would be working with. Carrie nodded. “Anything you wish to avoid in your dress? Do you know what style you look best in?”

I shrugged as I couldn’t quite shake me head. “I’m not much into fashion. I can dress up but I always have someone double check me just to be safe. I’m a mom and a photographer by trade so while I’ve shot some weddings I was looking through my camera and not so much at the dresses. We’re having a mid to late July wedding in Montreal which can get very hot. I’d love it if all of us could be as cool as we can be while looking as nice as possible.” Ciera kissed my cheek before sitting down, she was done with my hair.

Carrie nodded. “So why are you shopping here if you’re getting married in Montreal?” She wasn’t looking at us but I felt Vero’s hand on my shoulder in solidarity.

I smiled at V and answered. “Because we live here during the hockey season. It’s easier to find a dress when I won’t be as rushed and won’t have to fly back and forth to Montreal for fittings and such.” I saw the light of recognition dawn in her eyes.

“Ah, I thought you looked familiar. Which one of the boys is the lucky man?” Then it seemed to dawn on her as she took a closer look at Alexander. “Never mind, I've seen pictures of this little man with his dad. He’s a very lucky guy. I’ll go find you the dresses on your bridesmaid list and while you’re working through those I’ll find some for you as well.” She left us to go find those.

Ciera sighed as she “fainted” on the raised platform. “Only for you Kals, only for you would I do a hot summer wedding. If this isn’t sisterly love, I don’t know what is.” We all laughed at her dramatics.

Carrie and a couple other ladies brought in the dresses we had liked on the website. “Ok, here are these to get you all started. I’m going to bring a range of dresses from Maggie’s Spring collection after you get through these and we’ll narrow it down from there.”

Aleks sighed loudly over FaceTime. “I wish I was actually there with you guys. This would be so much more fun.” We all smiled as we began looking through the dresses. “Vero, you start. Pick one and show it off.”

Vero laughed sharply. “You would nominate me! Fine. These are grouped by designer. Let’s start with the Alfred Angelo dresses.” She picked the strapless dress we had liked and started changing. When she had it on and had it cinched in, she stood on the platform. “This says it comes with spaghetti straps, I would say they are important. At least with this dress.”

That dress was the beginning of our Not A Chance pile. Ciera went next. She chose the halter by him and shimmied into it. I couldn’t help what I said. “Wow Ers! Say yes!” She looked incredible in this dress. She laughed and then let Vero try it on. Both of them looked great in this style. The color was Jade according to the tags and it ended up being the beginning of our Say Yes pile.

Paula took up the lilac dress with ruffles and changed into it. She looked ok in the dress but it didn’t wow me or anyone else. “This is meh. Let’s revisit it if we can’t find anything that looks better.” Now we had a Meh pile as well. The last dress from Alfred Angelo was a basic sweetheart neckline and empire waist. It was ok so it ended up in the Meh pile.

Now we moved onto the After Six dresses we’d chosen. Ciera was up first and took one of the other strapless dresses we’d liked. She stood up and kept having to pull the dress up. “No straps with this one. I suppose we could get some made but…” Her tone said it all, she didn’t think it was worth it. Onto the Not A Chance pile it went.

Aleks piped up. “If there are any other strapless dresses let’s get them out of the way.” Paula saluted her and took the last one. When she came out, the dress was a tad too tight on her. “Probably the wrong size for me. I’m not so sure about this bodice though. It’s really gathered and looks odd from my angle.”

Vero sighed. “Let me try it. I’m already not happy it does not have straps. I nearly came out of my dress, never again.” She put it on and stepped up. She turned and looked in the mirror. “Non, this isn’t the one.”

I had to agree with her. “You don’t pop like I want you guys too. Not A Chance.” I passed judgement and onto the pile it went.

Vero went and changed into the only halter dress we hadn’t tried. It was in Rose and she turned around several times. She was shaking her head negatively. Ciera tried it on and it made her look like she was constricted. Paula shook her head and said what I was thinking. “Not a chance.”

Ciera then tried the V neck dress we’d chosen. It was Tutti Frutti in color which was pretty but it wasn’t what I wanted. As she turned I heard Aleks speak. “That isn’t bad.”

Paula walked around her. “No it’s not, but of us here I think I might be the test.” They went and changed dresses. Paula didn’t look bad in it either.

“Not popping but not horrible either. Meh it.” I said.

Paula then put on the last untried dress and came out. It gave her a waist and clearly had straps. It held her in nicely and was modest and still sexy. “You look great in that Paula.” She twirled a bit.

“I feel great in it. I think this is a keeper but I want to try the other Say Yes dress we have.” I waved her towards it and she grabbed Ciera as she passed. The came out with Ciera in the last dress and Paula in the first. Paula twisted and turned around as she looked at herself. “I don’t know about this one. This feels more shelf-like than the other one.”

Ciera looked happy in the second dress. “This has a bit more sex appeal. I mean halter tops are hot but sometimes knowing that you’re secure in the top means a lot. This flows nicely too.” She twirled around to show us.

Aleks laughed. “Let’s see how Veronique looks in it and if you all look good, then that’s the one.” They all went to change. Aleks looked at me from her phone. “I like it Kallie. I think we’ll all look good in it.”

A small smile crossed my face as I waited. “I want you guys to like them if not love them. I’m kind of nervous about finding my dress though. I have _no_ idea what would look good on me.”

Aleks was saved from answering by Vero coming out. “This is the one. It floats around me and hides my small tummy. I like the straps I feel secure in this dress even though it’s a bit tight on me.” I snapped a shot of Vero in the dress with my phone and heard Aleks laugh.

“Just wait Vero, your hubby is gonna love this pic.” I said teasing her. Actually I knew he would love it. She looked good and had that air of confidence that was always sexy.

Vero rolled her eyes as we all hung dresses up again. We’d finished when Carrie knocked and came back in. “How go things?” She asked as we’d all changed back into our regular clothes.

I happily spoke. “Great! We found a dress all of them at least like and looks good on them.” I pointed to the dress we had hung near the mirror.

Paula grinned. “We even hung our rejects back up as nicely as we could. Carrie laughed.

“Don’t tell me, you’re all Canadian aren’t you?” We all happily nodded. “We’ve had people throw them on the floor and stomp on them, it’s very rare where they don’t need some attention post-try-on.” By now the other ladies had gathered the dresses and were heading out the door with them. Carrie followed but was soon back with a wheeled rack worth’s of wedding gowns. “Ok ladies time for the big hunt. I gathered samples of every type of gown Maggie makes. I’ve even ranked them by how I think they’ll look on you.” I nodded as I got up.

“You’re the professional, between yourself and my girls I think we’ll do fine.” I looked at Paula, Ciera and Vero and smiled. “We may not find The Dress today, but at least we’ll try.”

Vero chuckled. “Please tell me we can disabuse you of the notion of a big poofy dress first.” She had found my Junior Prom dress in my closet and had good laugh at it. It was now on my ‘how can I up cycle this’ list.

Dryly I replied. “I think you’ve done that already when you called my Junior Prom dress the Pepto dress.” It was a deep pink color. Yes it was close to that color, yes I thought I looked good, no I was not showing any pictures.

Ciera cried out dismayed. “Aw, she laughed at Bubbles. You worked so hard on her.” Yep I had made that dress. I was told if I wanted a dress I’d have to make it, so I did. I knew how expensive hockey gear was first hand.

I put myself in Carrie’s capable hands and soon found myself in a bedazzled dress. I stepped up on the platform and Carrie used some clamps to make it fit better. “Well?” I asked as I turned to face them.

Aleks was the one to speak up. “Well what? It’s a large dress that scream I _AM the bride. You don’t look your best but it’s not as bad as it could be.” The rest agreed and Allison was the first dress to fall.

Carrie wasn’t hurt at all. “That’s fine, let’s get what I think wouldn’t be good out of the way first. It just whittles down where we look next.” She led me back and helped me change.

Coming back out I knew this wasn’t the one either. I wasn’t a huge bling person but this dress had bling in spades. On both the front and back of the dress. “How the hell would I sit without feeling all of these beads?” I asked. Ciera fell off the couch laughing at that.

Carrie just looked at me. “You’re right you don’t feel it and it can be difficult to sit in, I’ve tried it on myself.” With that Monalisa Royale went back on the rack.

The next dress was named Nora. I came out happier than I had been so far but this still didn’t feel like the one. “I like the lace.” I said as I got fluffed out by Carrie, well the dress that it. “Not so sure that the skirt is right though. This is tulle right?” After getting confirmation I sighed. “It feels big and poofy still. Vero’s right about that, I don’t look my best in a dress like that.”

Nora was placed back on the rack and Carrie looked at me. “Ok, now that we have firmly established that bigger dresses aren’t the right fit, we’re going closer to the body. If you like any of these styles or dresses don’t be afraid to speak up.” The dress I put on next was definitely closer to my body, it was a sheath.

As I stepped onto the platform I heard the girls whispering. “Care to share with the class?” I asked as I examined the dress more closely. It barely showed my curves, which I wasn’t thrilled with, but it looked a hell of a lot better than the others I had tried so far.

Paula sighed and spoke up. “We’re commenting that while this looks a lot better on you, it doesn’t show the curves you have. It’s a lovely dress just maybe not _your_ dress.” It was clear she was trying to be nice about how she was saying this, but she didn’t have to be.

I smiled. “I actually agree, this is a lot closer to what I think would work best but it’s not the best one for me. I’ll keep it in mind though just in case.”

The next dress was much more form fitting, I really liked how it hugged my curves. Carrie spoke as I stepped out. “This is called a slim A line dress, it’s more form fitting than a traditional A line. How do you feel about it?”

“I like that it fits close like this. I feel ridiculous saying this but I feel hugged by it.” There was one thing I disliked though. “I’m not fond of these ribbons though. I wish I could leave it off.”

Paula chuckled. “Is this the one?”

I shook my head. “No but it’s the closest so far. What’s next Carrie?”

She laughed. “How about a little color? Let’s go put Judith on the rack and try Athena. This will take a bit longer to get into and out of. Athena has an inner corset and a button up back.” We went and started.

About the time I was ready to come out I heard a loud cry followed by Vero shouting “Estelle no hit!”. The peace the kids had been in was shattered by boredom. I rushed out hoping Alex was okay only to find Paula comforting him. As I came up I heard her murmur to him. “Oh look Alexander, isn’t Mama pretty?”

My son turned and I saw his eyes sparkling with unshed tears. “Mama pretty.” he said in a slightly wavering voice.

I leaned in and kissed his tears away. “Merci ma loutre. Thank you for not hitting Estelle too.”

His eyes crinkled up as he smiled. “Big boys no hit baby. ‘Telle baby.” It was perhaps the wisest thing he’d said in a while.

I tweaked his nose, not hearing the click of a camera shutter. “That’s right. Estelle is still a baby and you _are_ Mama’s big boy.” I held my arms open and he tumbled into them.

Ciera came over and hip checked me lightly. “You have a big bow on your butt Kals.”

I sighed heavily. “It’s detachable Ciera. The dress is lovely though.” Alex laid his head on my shoulder.

“Yeah but silver is your metallic not gold. Maybe another color would be better. Do you have your ‘blue’ yet?” She was right of course gold would make me look a bit foolish unless it was my metallic, which we had already determined was silver through much discussion.
I turned to see Carrie on my left. “Not the one either right?” I shook my head but she just nodded. “Ok, I have 3 more dresses that are all in the Fit and Flare style. It’s a lot like this, just a little closer. This dress is doing wonders for your figure I’m betting the Fit and Flare will be even better. We can bring the little guy in with us if you want.”

I came out in the first Fit and Flare, Haven. It was tulle which I never had liked much. Alex came out behind me, walking and unhappy about it. He came and leaned against my legs but quickly stood up again. “Itchy Mama.” He scratched his face where he had leaned against me.

Ciera came over and knelt down. “Don’t like the skirt little man?” He shook his head no. She looked at me in the mirror. “Your son doesn’t like this fabric Kals.”

“Yeah,” I agreed, “I’m starting to remember why I dislike tulle too. Carrie I think this one it out too.”

“No problem. The next one is the most unusual in color but it’s a lovely dress.” She brought it out so we could see it.

Aleks gasped from the phone. “I wanna see you in that! I know it doesn’t go with anything but I really wanna see it!” I laughed aloud. She hadn’t asked for anything this entire time, the least I could do was give her what she _did_ ask for.

Carrie chuckled. “You have got to be the most chilled out bride I have ever met. You’ve rolled with everything thrown at you today.” She was commenting as I changed into the Hudson gown.

I checked on Alex, who now refused to let me out of his sight, and slipped on the dress. “I have to be. My son is not quite 2, his dad flies all over the country playing the game he loves and I’m at home keeping everything together. If I don’t roll with the punches, I’d go insane.” Alex picked up his book and began going through it again. I let the breath I wasn’t aware I was holding go.

I opened the curtain and immediately heard. “Don’t come out here!” That told me that Kris, who knew I had this appointment, was on probably FaceTime.

I came out anyway. Did I like this dress, yes. Did I think the Fit and Flare style was for me, oh yes. Was this _my dress, oh hell no. “Please. First of all this would completely clash with everything I have been working on and the ideas we’ve had. Secondly, maybe I want him to start dreaming about what I might look like in my dress.” I stepped into view and heard Aleks squeal with delight.

“Girl you look fabulous! Hey Tanger, your woman is damned hot!” She was knocked over onto the bed and it was quite clear they were wrestling for the phone. “Oh fine, here!” She gave him her phone and it was on him.

“Holy Fuck!” Kris exclaimed, not seeing Alex and Estelle. He then lapsed into the most beautiful thing he could have ever said to me. “Ma déesse vous empêcher mon cœur de votre beauté. Je ne suis pas digne d'un tel séduction et prie pour que tu me pardonnes pour cela. (My Goddess you stop my heart from your beauty. I am not worthy of such a seduction and pray that you forgive me for that.)” Both Ciera and Vero sighed dreamily. Ciera then told Paula what Kris had said.

I smiled and replied. “Bien alors mon bien-aimé, nous sommes en bien assortis. Vous volez mon souffle à chaque instant. Je compte les jours jusqu'à ce que nous sommes l'un comme je compte les heures jusqu'à ce que votre retour en toute sécurité pour moi. (Well then my beloved, we are well matched. You steal my breath every moment. I count the days until we are one as I count the hours until your safe return to me.)” This time I heard the whispering _before_ the sighs from the ladies.

“We should be home Sunday. How is our big boy doing?” I glanced at Alex who hadn’t heard that his dad was talking.

“We’ve had one incident with him being hit but he was _very_ good and did not hit her back. Since then I have not been out of his sight. We’ve found out he does not like tulle any more than I really do.” Kris smiled as I then turned the camera so he could see Alex coloring quietly. He gave Aleks back her phone, shouted a goodbye to everyone and was gone.

Aleks came back into frame smiling. “That might have been one of _the_ most romantic things I have ever heard him say. We thought he was the lucky one to have found you, turns out it’s _you_ who are the lucky one. You bring out his inner romantic.” She paused and looked at this dress. “Thanks Kallie but I can tell this isn’t the one. It completely clashes with your color scheme but you look great. NEXT!”

I laughed as I turned and saw Carrie smiling. I hope I wasn’t being too picky for her. I went back to change and said so. “Carrie, I know I have been picky about my dress…” I got cut off.

“Stop it. You were honest with me from the start when you said you had no real idea. Add in that you’ve at least tried every style once and haven’t been at all demanding. I’m a happy person. I got the gist of your conversation with your husband, you are both very lucky and very in love. Now let’s get you into this dress and I truly want you to pick apart what you do and don’t like about it.” She laced me in and out we went.

The silence was truly deafening. Alex looked up and whispered as he saw me. “Mama.” I knelt down next to him and let him feel the material. “Soft.”

I nodded. “Yes, soft not itchy.” I got back up and saw the open mouths of the girls, all 4 of them. “I think this might be it.” I said feeling a large smile cover my face. I got up on the platform and Carrie stepped up to straighten everything.

While she did she spoke. “As you know this is a Maggie Sottero Fit and Flare dress, this style is named Ascher. The belt come with it but can be left off as well. It’s Delustered Satin with all over lace over it. It’s a strapless sweetheart neckline with Maggie’s signature corset closure on the back. And, if you don’t mind me saying so, you look amazing in it.” She hadn’t been blowing smoke at all since we got here so I felt it was an honest compliment. I felt amazing in this.

Vero spoke up. “It’s gorgeous but Carrie did you say Satin? Won’t that be very hot for a summer wedding in Montreal?” I paused in my near preening, Vero had a point.

Carrie seemed to realize it as well. “I did say Satin didn’t I? What was I thinking? Satin in that weather will be too hot. Ok stay here I think I have something in a lighter material that will work even better.” She rushed out of the room mentally kicking herself.

The longer I wrote this, the more I fell in love with it. It had a hint of color but not too much. I could easily leave off the belt too. Paula broke my reverie. “Kalista, I know that look. I know you already at least like this dress a lot. You’re standing taller and straighter.” Ciera put a hand on her knee and took up the topic.

“Satin is a hot fabric, it doesn’t breathe well. Before you fall head over heels with this one, let’s see if Carrie can find something lighter that similar.” The door opened and one of the other ladies came and got the rack of rejects. She left the door open and we heard an amazing conversation.

Carrie was speaking to another person. “I’m telling you she’s a VIP and not just our normal kind either. A genuine VIP. You didn’t see who her fiancé is, I did. Not to mention who is with her.” I could hear the exasperation in her voice.

“Carrie you know that only Kimberly can pronounce someone a VIP in truth. She’s with a VIP right now so she can’t even do that. Unless the woman provides proof that she’s someone important she’ll have to wait just like everyone else.” We couldn’t see who else was speaking but I for one did not care for her tone.

Carrie came back in carrying a dress. She noticed all of us looking at the door and her and blushed. “You heard that I suppose.”

I smiled. “I’ve photographed VIPs, I’ve never been called one before. Thank you.”

Her blush got deeper. “It’s really not a huge thing. If Kimberly did say you’re a true VIP she’d take over your care and I’d lose everything but the basic commission.” That horrified me. Carrie had done everything to make this experience absolutely wonderful for us.

Vero stepped up holding my phone. “I’m sure we could find a way to stop her from doing that. Aleks and I hold more power than most people know. Kalista is not far behind us either and might even be better in this case.” I nodded furiously. As far as I was concerned Carrie was my bridal consultant and no one else would do.

I cleared my throat and stepped forward. “So, who do you have there?” I figured a change of topic would help.

She held up the dress. “This is Eileen. This one is ivory lace over a pale blush. It’s corded lace over organza so it should be as cool as the ladies’ dresses. It doesn’t come with a ribbon sash at all, no tulle at all either. It’s a very soft dress on the cheek.” I giggled, legitimately, held out my hand and all but skipped into the change room.

We got me into the dress and I carefully came out into the rest of the room. Once I was on the platform my eyes teared up. This was _MY_ dress. Better yet I even knew what jewelry I would wear with it. I brought my hand to my mouth and it was trembling.

Ciera came over and put a hand on my other arm. “You look so incredible Kalista. You are going to blow his mind when he sees you. He is the luckiest man in the world and you are definitely his goddess.” She then handed me a tissue.

Paula came up and smiled. “Every man in the place is going to be jealous of Kris. That includes Adam.”

I blushed. I knew how Adam looked at his wife. Vero came over and broke the tension. “Si vous embrassez mon mari, je vais avoir la tête, jeune mariée ou non. (If you kiss my husband, I'll have your head, bride or not.)” I couldn’t help it, I giggled. That giggle turned into all of us giggling over it. “But seriously, you might want to consider getting straps for this. I nearly fell out of my dress a few times.”

A new voice came from the doorway. “Then obviously you didn’t get the right dress.”

We all turned and then Carrie spoke quickly. “Kimberly! Wha… What are you doing here?” That lowered my opinion of the woman already.

She came in and looked at the dress critically. “I heard that there might be a VIP in here and I thought I’d come over and see for myself. Looks like I got here just in time too.” I swallowed my rising rage. I loved this dress, it was _my_ dress.

Ciera rubbed my arm carefully so I was able to speak without sounding as upset as I was. “Actually I’m _very_ happy with this dress _and my consultant. Carrie has been nothing but professional and helpful with all of us. In fact, I’d like to speak with your owner.”

Carrie looked at me a bit horrified but went out of the room. She came back with a man who introduced himself. “Hello, I am Rafael Kounias, the owner of Bridal Beginnings. Carrie says you wanted to speak to me.”

I turned to face him, still in my dress. “Yes I did ask to speak to you Mr. Kounias. I want to lodge a complaint.” His face went from open to serious, not that it stopped me. “My complaint is this. When we were waiting for Carrie to find this wonderful dress,” I gestured down my body, ”I’m wearing, we heard her talking to someone who said that only Kimberly could name someone a VIP. Now I’m not upset at Carrie at all for paying me such a compliment, I _am upset that later this Kimberly came in and looked down on Carrie and the dress I love because Carrie worked with us so well.”

Mr. Kounias looked at Carrie and then at Kimberly. “Really now? I was not aware that Kimberly had been promoted to manager and I know she doesn’t own any part of this salon. Carrie, how many dresses have these lovely ladies tried on today?”

Carrie’s voice shook a bit. “Nineteen sir, between bridesmaid dresses and wedding gowns. They came in with nine bridesmaid gowns they wanted to try and only a designer for Kalista’s gown. They have been nothing but courteous, fun and willing to try different gowns until Kalista trembled and teared up when she got a look at this one.”

He looked impressed. “19, that might be a new record. You say that Carrie was your consultant the entire time?” I nodded. “Have you decided on all of your gowns thanks to Carrie’s work?” All of us nodded. Kimberly snorted behind me. “Do you have something to add Kimberly?”

“Why would she put this woman, who is supposedly a VIP, in a dress like this? Why wouldn’t she try and up-sell her to another more elaborate gown?” I could hear the haughtiness in Kimberly’s voice, it disgusted me.

It must have shown on my face as Mr. Kounias spoke next. “That’s funny it sounds like Carrie did her job and made this entire bridal party _very_ happy with her choices.”

I took up that line of thought. “She did indeed. In fact Aleks asked me to put on a gown which would totally clash with our chosen color scheme and when my fiancé saw it, he said the most romantic thing I’ve heard in a while. Carrie chose that dress as an example of just what this style could do for me. If I am to buy all of our gowns here, I would _insist that Carrie be the one to get the sale. Unfortunately I can’t and won’t buy our gowns here until at least Monday as one of my bridesmaids is currently on a road trip.” Aleks waved from the phone.

He leaned in and finally recognized Aleks. “Holy! I can see why Carrie would say you’re a VIP, you really are. I recognize Mrs. Fleury and Ms. Malakhov as I, like most of the city, am a Pens fan. Just which soon-to-be Mrs. are we dressing for her wedding?”

I blushed and looked at the floor. “Letang.” I saw Alex starting to wilt. “Alex, viens à Mama. (Alex, come to Mama.)” Alex got up and came over. I picked him up and cuddled him close. “You’ll have to forgive us. The children are getting tired and hungry. Name me a VIP if you wish but the _only_ consultant I will deal with is Carrie.”

Rafael then moved Kimberly out of the room and took a look at our selections. We quickly found ourselves measured and all the information written down and handed to me. “Never let it be said that people can not get the service they deserve in this salon. If Carrie is your chosen consultant, then so be it. I hope that Monday you and your final bridesmaid can come in and get measured so that we can order these dresses for you.” We were out of there quickly but not rushed. It was official, we had found all of our dresses in one appointment.

Later that night it hit me. I had my dress! I giggled as I lay in bed. Now, I felt like a bride.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had to go back and count, yeah 19 dresses are mentioned in this.

Let me know what you think of this Dress Hunt. It's a lot different than the others I've written, more traditional.