Sequel: Family Goals

Keep It Kasual

Chapter 20

*Kallie's POV* Nov. 23rd, 2013

I was up and getting the birthday boy ready for his big day when the front door opened. "Hallo?! Is there an extra special birthday person here?"

I looked at Alex who was grinning from ear to ear. He knew who was downstairs. How could he not? We saw Marc-Andre enough. "Let's go see Oncle Marc-Andre." Alex clapped his hands and squirmed to get down. He was getting to be so independent but he still wanted me close by. I watched as he carefully held the handrail and went down the stairs on his own. That kind of made me happy and sad at the same time. He had woken me by joining me in our bed this morning. It was definitely time for a toddler bed.

"Oncle Marc! Oncle Marc!" Alex called as he hit the first floor and moved as fast as he could to Marc-Andre. Marc-Andre lifted him up and swung him around in the living room making Alex laugh and laugh.

I saw that my house had been invaded by Penguins, I mentally shrugged, there was nothing new about that. What _was_ new was that they were making breakfast for all of us. I looked around for Kris but didn't see him. I started to move to go see if he was in the study but before I could even turn around I had arms wrapped around me and my ear nuzzled. "Bon Matin."

"Good morning Kris." I leaned my head back and we kissed. "Can you believe our boy is two?" He chuckled.

"Non, what do you two have planned this special day?" We stood there and swayed a little bit together.

"Other than going to Toys R Us to get the toddler rail for the crib and maybe a special toy, we have lunch with grandparents and An English Rose and the game tonight." I was leaning slightly back into Kris' chest, enjoying the contact.

By now Alex was back in front of us and grinning. Kris rolled with what I said easily though. "You climbed out of the crib again last night? Yep, time for a big boy bed. Mama will make sure you are safe. Big boy bed on your birthday, maybe mama will get you some new sheets too." Kris let go of me and picked up Alex.

Marc-Andre came over and hugged me. "He got out again?" I nodded. "Oh fun. I can wait for t'at."

Breakfast was fun, Alex ate with gusto and was happy to say goodbye to papa and the boys. Once we had cleaned up, we headed for Toys R Us and a big boy bed. While we were there I took him down the bedding aisle. "So, my birthday boy, do you want new sheets for your new bed?" Alex giggled and began looking at the bedding. I had a few things I wanted to get him here to help him move from his crib to his new big boy bed as well. A new security item specifically for his bed. As we looked, nothing sparked Alex's interest. "That's ok big boy, we'll go look at another store before we have lunch. Let's go find you a special friend for your new bed." We quickly and easily found a Flashlight Friend and a new book, both of which were penguins. Add in the toddler rail for the crib and we checked out.

We went to a few different stores and found nothing Alex liked. We did manage to find a pillow for him for the house and he was thrilled with just those new items. Alex was starting to complain he was hungry when we pulled up in front of the house. In addition to 2 sets of grandparents there was another car. As I let Alex greet his grandparents, I greeted the final car.

"Rachel Cripps-Gervais and my husband Christian." I shook their hands.

"I'm Kalista Brassard. I'm not sure if Kris will be able to join us or not. He's got a game tonight against the Habs after all." Both Rachel and Christian smiled and Alex came running over. "This is our son Alex, today is his birthday so he gets a special trip to see papa play and see his grandparents." Alex hid his face in my leg and tugged on my pants. "Please come in."

We all went inside and found Kris making lunch. That surprised me a little as he wasn't sure he could make it this morning. Soon enough we all were seated and starting our business lunch. The deeper we got into talking about things, the more sure I was that these were the people to help make our wedding perfect. Then we got a small bombshell. "Unfortunately your first location for your reception wasn't available. We do have some places nearby that are open though if you'd like to hear about them." Rachel sounded truly sorry we couldn't have our reception where we originally wanted.

Kris rolled with it. "This is why we have you. To help us over the bumps. Where is this new location?" He leaned over and grinned as she pointed to a spot on the map. "Even better. I already have reservations there for that night. Knowing our guest list they will like it there too." That was something we had been working on since we got the date we wanted from the Basilica, the guest list. We had it mostly finalized with the exception of the number of family guests we had. That was something we had a total number for but we hadn't talked with his parents yet to see who they might want to invite.

Rachel grinned, picked up her phone and make a quick phone call. With a few quick words our reception hall was booked. "Bon, We will of course have to find a time where we can go over a menu with them but that can wait for a few months."

I was a little taken aback by Kris' words, I think because I hadn't thought past the reception. It sounded like he was planning our honeymoon. "Are you planning our honeymoon already?"

He grinned at me. "Maybe, if you like it in February. I t'ought with the Olympic break we could get a break from the cold weather."

Alex decided that was enough talk without him so he inserted himself into the conversation. "Beach mama." Kris leaned over and kissed Alex's temple.

Rachel and Christian took their leave shortly after. I reassured them that we were on the same page with things. "We're loving what you've come up with so far. We'll keep plugging away at the lists you send us and making sure we're all on the same page."

Rachel laughed. "You two are great with getting everything we've asked for to us in a timely manner, especially with his career and your young son. I love the ideas you've sent me and I really love the personal touches you two have put honest thought into. I would ask that you look up the hotel site and start thinking about what you want for centerpieces and cakes and all of that. No need to make final decisions right now, just start thinking about them." She hugged me. "You have fun with that little ones' birthday and the game. We already love having you as clients."

Alex was allowed to open the gifts from his grandparents. Christiane and Michal got him some Duplo blocks, the zoo and photo safari ones. Claude and Marie got him a set of big boy bedding. It was the surf design. "Mama! Big boy!" Alex exclaimed as he opened it.

I laughed. "These were the perfect gifts. He's climbed out of his crib several times over the last few nights so we got the toddler rail and will make his bed a big boy bed. We'll put these on and then someone can take his rest there. Alex, go get your new big boy bed friend." He got up and ran for the bag. He brought back the flashlight friend and the book.

After his grandparents left, Kris and I brought Alex upstairs so he could watch us remake his crib into his new bed. He sat and watched quietly. It took us a good 45 minutes to figure out how to undo the crib and get it all back together again with the toddler rail. Once we got it back in place Alex drug over the new sheets. We got those on and unpackaged his new friend. "Ok you, you don't have to sleep for this rest time. You do have to stay in your room until the rest time is over." This wasn't a new rule, we had been using it for several weeks by now. He nodded quickly and scrambled into his new bed. We pulled the covers over him and kissed him, wishing him a good rest.

Kris tugged me into our room and onto the bed. It wasn't often he wanted me to nap with him and when he did, I never argued. Today was no exception. We settled down and he cuddled close. "Danny told me this morning between skates that you and Alex will be welcome to sit in the family box, he asked the girls apparently."

I yawned, tired from my early morning. "That sounds fun. What time do you have to be at the hotel?" I felt sleep pull at me and didn't hear if Kris answered. The next thing I knew there was an alarm going off. I felt a kiss at my temple and him slid out of bed.

I also got up and followed him upstairs to see how Alex did with his first rest time in his new bed. Kris was standing in the doorway with a gentle smile on his face. As I tiptoed up, I got pulled into his arms. There, on his new big boy bed, was our son fast asleep. Then I saw him move, he was waking. Rubbing his eyes he sat up and looked at us. "Mama, Papa big boy."

We went into his room and scooped him up. "Oui, vous êtes notre grand garçon. Nous sommes fiers que vous reposé dans votre nouveau lit. Voulez-vous encourager vigoureusement pour papa ce soir? (Yes, you are our big boy. We are proud that you rested in your new bed. Will you cheer loudly for papa tonight?)" Alex's head nodded very quickly. He loved cheering for Kris and all the Pens.

I went and got dressed for the game. I knew that Alex would be taken care of by Kris so I could focus on what I would be wearing. Obviously it wouldn't be what I would wear in Pittsburgh but I found something that would look right for watching a game in the family box. I had packed Alex's Letang Jersey in my bag, so after I got dressed I grabbed that and went to find my boys. They were looking through his closet for something. " Alex ... venez ici s'il vous plaît. (Alex ... come here please.)" He came over and I put the jersey on him. "Là, maintenant, vous êtes prêt pour le match. (There, now you are ready for the game.)"

Alex pet the penguin on the front tenderly with the tips of his small fingers and then grinned up at me. "Pingouin, Maman." I nodded. He turned to Kris. "Papa! Maman trouvé pingouin! (Papa! Mama found my penguin!)" Kris smiled and picked Alex up. We all went downstairs and Kris got himself ready for the game.

Thanks to having a car here we got Kris back to the hotel and ourselves to the Basilica to pray for a win, and meet with one of the priests to see if they like how our prep is going. Going into the parish office I asked for Mrs. Staffa and was shown to her easily. "Mrs. Staffa? I'm Kalista Brassard, we've spoken on the phone and through email." I hoped she remembered me.

She looked at me and beamed. "Yes I remember you, you're doing your marriage prep through your local church with Father Bedard's blessings. Give me just a moment." She called Father Bedard and told him I was here. "I see someone is already ready for the game tonight."

I smiled and chuckled a bit. "Oh yes, it's his big birthday weekend. A whole 2 years old today. We saw friends in Toronto, Oncle Frankie play last night in Quebec City and tonight we get to see Papa play the Habs." Alex grinned on my lap, this had been a great few days for him. "Not to mention the presents he got and his new big boy bed."

I heard a laugh behind me and turned to find a priest standing there. "Sounds like a big weekend." Alex just basked in the attention. "I am Father Bedard. It's a pleasure to finally meet you in person. Danielle, do you need to have her do any paperwork?" She shook her head and he smiled. "Please, follow me."

We followed him into his office and sat down. "I have spoken with Father McCaffrey just yesterday in fact. We've agreed that your marriage prep is going well so far and that you two seem to have worked the majority of things out before they can raise their heads. We know you will raise your children Catholic as evidenced by young Master Alex here. However I would like one thing, I would like to sit in, either on a computer or on speakerphone, with your next meeting. I have asked Father McCaffrey this already and he understands why. I would like to hear for myself how you two are while talking about these things."

Alex climbed down and into the other chair while I thought about the request. It was early enough that I could text Kris and ask him what he thought, so I did. He came back with a thumbs up emoji. I looked at Father Bedard with confidence and felt lighter. "Neither Kris nor I have an issue with you listening in, or even chiming in if you so wish. We have and do talk about a lot of things, even when he's on a road trip. He tries to call home and say goodnight to Alex as often as he can when they are gone. We normally end up talking for a while too after."

Father Bedard nodded. "It sounds like you have a good relationship with each other. Communication is always good. Do you happen to know when your next session is? I would like to put it on my calendar now if I can."

I pulled out my phone. "In fact I do. We've got things scheduled through the end of February right now." I pulled up my schedule and looked for the dates. "In December we only have 1 session scheduled in deference to it being a busy time of year, that's on the 11th. We move up to twice a month in January on the 13th and 21st. Two again in February on the 8th and the 26th. All of these are different times and Father McCaffrey can give you those. I just have the dates in my phone right now." I smiled, hoping he wouldn't be upset at this.

"That's perfect. Would you mind if I give Alex a blessing?" I felt my eyes go wide and shook my head no quickly. Father Bedard smiled and came to kneel in front of Alex. He then dropped into French. "Au nom du Père, du Fils et du Saint-Esprit. Père céleste, amant de tous, nous te louons de nous avoir donné Jésus comme notre Sauveur: Il a béni les enfants qui venaient à Lui, et accueille ceux qui viennent à Lui maintenant. Regardez avec amour sur Alex et le protéger de ton amour. Peut-il grandir en sagesse, en taille et en force votre présence et à la vue de tous. Nous demandons cette bénédiction, Père, par ton Fils bien-aimé, Jésus-Christ notre Seigneur. Amen. (In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Heavenly Father, lover of all, we praise you for giving us Jesus as our Saviour: He blessed the children who came to Him, and welcomes those who come to Him now. Look with love upon Alex and protect him with Your love. May he grow in wisdom and age and strength in Your presence and in the sight of all. We ask this blessing, Father, through Your beloved Son, Christ our Lord. Amen.)" I helped Alex cross himself properly and then did so myself as Father blessed Alex. "Joyeux anniversaire Alex. (Happy Birthday Alex.)"

After saying our prayers at the correct place in the Basilica, Alex and I went home for a little while. We would be taking a taxi to the Bell Centre tonight with our stuff so we could join the guys on the plane to Boston.

We got to the Bell Centre at 6 p.m. right when we wanted to get there. We wouldn't be bothering anyone in the locker room so we wouldn't throw them off their routines. However, I hadn't counted on Danny coming to see us when we got there. "Kallie!" I turned and got hugged by him. "Danny hi!" He let go of me and took a look at Alex.

"Look at him, gotten so big since I last saw him." He knelt down and looked at Alex. "How old are you? Your maman said it was your birthday." Alex turned and crushed his face into my leg, unsure of the man in front of him. It didn't bother Danny though, he knew kids. "It's ok. Joyeux anniversaire Alex."

Danny had to go get his stuff on for warm ups so quickly we were left with the Habs ladies as company. Once the teams hit the ice, Alex couldn't stop talking. "Mama! Look!" I found it difficult to carry on a conversation with the ladies as he did, but they just chuckled.

There were the usual questions about how Kris and I met and how I was finding NHL Hockey Wifedom. Those I knew how to handle. When they got to the questions about how I felt about all the fangirls, that was trickier. "I've actually found the fans in Pittsburgh are pretty respectful of the guys, even the massive fangirls. The few times we've been bothered while we've been out have been by older fans and even they have asked and not just assumed that Kris has time for them." I'd heard rumors that Sid's fangirls were particularly bad about giving him space, I just didn't find that true with the ones I had encountered so far.

The game ended badly for the Pens, 3-2 Montreal. It was a disappointment but one we would all get over. Alex laid on my lap on the plane, fast asleep. He'd had a big day for his birthday. Jen asked if I wanted to just continue with the until after the Bruins game. I did and I didn't. I knew that getting Alex back on his normal routine would help him with the transition he had started, but I also loved watching Kris play the game he loved. In the end I left it up to Kris, if he wanted us there then we'd stay. If not we'd go home. I ended up feeling like a bad luck charm after the Bruins game, another loss. Everyone told me that I shouldn't as they had never had so much fun on the road before.

Once we were home, I put Alex in his crib and crawled into bed with Kris. "I'm very happy you two were able to come with us. Even if we did lose both games." He pulled me close and kissed me. "After Mass tomorrow, take the day for yourself. I will watch Alex."

I snuggled down to where I normally lay on Kris and sighed. "Just remember to go and get the railing so he can have a big boy bed here too. We brought his flashlight friend here but I'm sure new bedding would help too." I yawned and then sighed. It had been a long weekend full of ups and downs, it was good to be home again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, I know Alex isn't 2 yet In Real Life. No, I'm not changing him to the correct age. I find older kids easier to write with.

You can find the gifts from his grandparents on my Pinterest site as well as a sneak peek of what Mama and Papa really got him.

As usual, you make me write faster with comments so please leave some. Even if it's only 1 word.