Sequel: Family Goals

Keep It Kasual

Chapter 24

*Christmas Day 2013 8 am*

I was woken by a very loud and happy squeal. I sighed and rolled over to wake Kris. "Réveillez- vous amour, notre fils ont trouvé les dons. (Wake up love, our son found the gifts.)" I heard and felt him sigh heavily. I found myself being pulled close and given our usual morning kiss. It didn't become heated, it didn't have a chance to...

The doors to our room were banged open and Alex came running in. "Maman! Papa! Santa est venu! (came!)" We reluctantly broke our kiss and turned our attention to Alex. "So many presents Maman!" He tugged on Kris' hand. "Venez voir papa! (Come see papa!)"

Kris chuckled, gave me another kiss and got out of bed. "Joyeux Noël Alexander. Allons nombre de la présente alors que maman met petit déjeuner au four. (Merry Christmas Alexander. Let us go count the presents while maman puts breakfast in the oven.)" I quickly found my son pulling me out of bed excited to get this wonderful day started.

I put the easy to make breakfast casserole into the oven and put on the coffee. I figured if the loud squeal didn't wake the others, the lure of food and caffeine would. I was right as while I was taking the casserole out they were coming downstairs. Alex was being restrained so he couldn't jump all over them before they were truly awake. "Alex come help me set the table for breakfast." He ran over and held out his hands, in which I put the silverware.

He turned and then turned back. "Quels table de maman? (Which table Maman?)" I smiled and picked up the placemats and napkins. I walked to our new one and set them down. "Avez- Santa nous apporter à celui- ci? (Did Santa bring us this one?)" I nodded and he grinned. He then happily climbed into a chair and worked hard at setting the table. He only needed a little help, which Mamie Christiane provided.

After a breakfast of casserole, fruits and milk Alex was more than wanting to open everything. While Kris explained why he could not open anything yet to him, I started the late lunch we would share with our extended Montreal family. Christiane and Julienne came in as well to help. I was glad as it made it more fun as well as go faster.

Soon enough the doorbell was ringing and we could no longer contain Alex. He ran to the door and tried to open it. Fortunately he was still too short so Kris was able to answer it. It was Marie and Claude. "Mimi! Papi!" Alex flung himself at Marie only to be engulfed in a hug.

They got themselves and their gifts in the house and under the tree. "I hope we are not too early." I smiled.

"Marie you deserve all the time you can get with Alex as much as any of his grandparents. It's not too early at all." I slid the ham into the oven and turned my attention to the stuffing. "We were awake thanks to a very excited little boy. If you want there is coffee or fruit." I waved to the table.

Another half hour and everyone was here. Alex was a very happy boy, all of his family was around, or was represented. Better than that Alex was now allowed to open his second stocking. He he'd help going through it as Kris and I had decided one stocking was enough for both of us. The family did give us little things that were supposed to go in them though.

Then it was time for the main show, presents. Kris made a big show of _not_ giving Alex the first gift. Instead he gave out our gifts to the family first. Kris's dad smiled when he opened his. We gave him a multi picture frame with shots of all of us in it. His mom and Michel got the shot of Kris, his mom and Alex I had taken. It was a really great generational shot. Eric, Charlene and Julienne all got hinged frames with shots of the three of us. All of the pictures were either taken by me or from the professional shoot we had before the season started.

Marie went next. "I love the pictures, thank you so much. Alex bébé come here." He toddled over and waited as best he could while she pulled out a particular gift. "Ah, here it is." She handed him a box.

He ripped into it and cried joyously. "No Tooth!" We had borrowed How To Train Your Dragon from Duper while I was getting well. Alex loved it so much. I was glad someone had gotten him one. He then gasped loudly. " 'Nother No Tooth!" This one was a pillow pet. Quickly followed by. "Bankie!" As he got to the blanket also themed. Kris and I laughed. He'd been asking for Toothless and here he has 3 now.

Kris wrapped Alex up in the blanket and dug for another gift. He decided on giving his niece and nephews the gifts we had made for them. I had made them all sling bags to carry essentials. Kris had found dream banks which they could save their money for a dream which they could put a picture of what it is in the back. He'd also found bookmarks and plaques of the Teen Creed. To balance that I also made ChapStick holders, headphone holders and iPhone/iPod holders for while they are on plug in chargers. The girls were happy to get these in colors they each liked. The guys needed a little explanation before they were also psyched.

Eric hijacked the gift giving next. He put a box in front of Alex. "We hope you enjoy this Alexander." His wife was also smiling as Alex ripped into the paper. As the box of blocks was revealed Alex beamed. "We weren't sure if he had any here."

I leaned over and whispered in Alex's ear. "Look ma loutre, more blocks to build the city with with Grandda. Won't that be even more fun." Alex looked at me beaming from ear to ear. "Rawr." He said quietly and then giggled.

Eric cut more conversation off by handing me a small box. "When I asked my wayward brother for ideas for you he told me anything to do with photography. While we are sure you have a lot of camera equipment, we wanted you to feel welcome. You have been wonderful for both of them and none of us can wait until he finally asks that question." Did Eric not know, I wondered. I glanced up and saw Kris face palming.

I took the gift and smiled. "Eric he already asked me that question. You were there." A look of confusion crossed Eric's face until I lifted my hand and showed him the ring. He flushed and tried stammering out an apology. "No, stop. It's fine. In fact while everyone is here we should tell them the date." I looked at Kris who grinned.

"July 26th at 3:30 in the Chapel of the sacred heart. Kallie is going to get our save the dates out as soon as she can when we get back to Pittsburgh. We can talk more about this while we eat. Open it." He prompted me.

Inside the box was a necklace. It was the dial from a camera. It was perfect and I thanked them profusely. I then pulled Eric's wife aside as I checked the ham. "Is he OK?"

She sighed. "Truthfully no, he got hit on the head while working without a hard hat on a job site. He has had some memory loss. Thank you for not making a big deal of it. He hasn't lost a lot but some of them are important." I hugged her.

"I'll let Kris know." I wasn't aware he was behind me. "I knew. I forgot to warn you. Dad is wanting to know if there are snacks." I handed him the tray of olive, cheese and carrot penguins and Grinch hats Mom had done. He took it, shook his head fondly and went back to the living room.

Charlene's gift to Kris was the biggest hit of the morning. She got him a safe place to have Alex help him in the kitchen, a Little Partners Learning Tower. She got Alex a Lego Star Wars clock for him to learn time with and I got an art print that I found an immediate place to hang. In fact I begged her to give me the info of where she got them all so we could get them for the other house too.

The nieces and nephews got us each a mug and one other item we would love. Kris' were both Star Wars and mine were both Disney. Finally everything was unwrapped except for 3 items. All of those were our little family's gifts to each other. Alex pulled and pushed the box with Kris's name on it to him. "Yous papa." I had gotten lucky when we were in Toronto last month and had found a Death Star Cookie Jar. It screamed take me home, so I did. Kris laughed as he opened it. Without a word he took it into the kitchen, hand washed and dried it and then filled it with cookies we had made. He then beckoned Alex over and let him take the first one.

Alex loved the spritz cookies and happily munched on one as he gave me my gift. "Here Mama." I took the neatly wrapped gift and opened it. Inside was what I thought was a new camera lens, until I took a second look. It was a Lens mug really. "Alex, thank you. I have wanted one of these for a long time." I had too, they were an in joke in the photo I community. You were really a pro when you had one. The little boy preened around the cookie.

"OK everyone. Gather round, the last present of this Christmas is for Alexander." He set the box in front of Alex and sat down next to him. "Go on." Alex tore into it with abandon. Inside was a new bicycle helmet and some of the best elbow and knee pads we could find as well as the picture of his balance bike sitting safely in the living room in Pittsburgh.

Alex cocked his head at the picture. "What that?" He asked. This made his cousins gather closer and ooh over it. "It's a bike Alex, special for little kids like you. You can use this when it's not snowy to come with maman and Tante Vero on walks. You wear this helmet and the pads on your knees and elbows and you can go as fast or slow as you want."

He got up and picked up the pads. "Wear Skate too?" We nodded and he laughed happily. "Go skate?" Quickly the guys were organizing an informal skating party for all of us. I tried to beg off but Marie and Christiane put their feet down. "Go, enjoy your down time. There will be plenty to do later. For now go skating." I did do one thing before we left, I started some crock pot hot chocolate for when we got back.

We ended up meeting some friends at the Old Port Skating Rink. Everyone had a blast, especially Alex who got up the courage to let go of the training aid and go off on his own. Of course I had my camera and got shots of it. I skated with everyone except Kris as he was busy keeping Alex going. Those elbow and knee pads were getting a workout, but he never quit.

Kris did introduce me to one of his oldest friends, Etienne Paquette and his fiancée Sarah. Their wedding was scheduled for the end of August. Etienne skated with me for a few minutes before asking. "Would you mind if I insisted you both come? I want him for my best man."

I laughed. "You're going to force me to have a night without our son. Ow I think you broke it." I held my arm as if it was broken. "Go ask him. We don't get many nights without Alex, this one is for a good reason." I shoved him towards Kris and started mentally looking for a dress.

What felt like hours later we, with some additions, got home. We came in the door to a bevy of wonderful smells. All of the tables were set with Christmas dishware and candles. "Welcome home!" Mom and Marie said happily as we all divested ourselves of outdoor gear. When I got free of my stuff I went to get a closer look at dinner. "The Ham is getting its final look so while we wait there are some appetizers." They had set out the based green beans with ranch, stuffed mushrooms and Parmesan Zucchini Chips. I smiled and got the veggie tray and hummus I had made out.

Alex saw the hummus and beelined for it. "Nummy nummy mama." He was a big fan which made it easier to get good nutrition into him. I uncovered the hot cocoa and everyone got some. This was the most perfect Christmas I'd had in a while.

For ease, the kids were at the built in diner and all of the adults were at the tables. It meant we could all have conversations we enjoyed and keep the house mostly mess free. Kris insisted that he load up Alex's plate and make sure it was cut right. I poured wine for those who wanted it and we all said Grace. As we dug into the fabulous meal I noticed that these were my recipes. "Maman, did you use the recipes on the counter for all of this?"

Christiane nodded around a bite. When her mouth was clear she continued. "Marie and I know that you do quite a lot to keep our boys healthy. When we saw them there and how easy they were we decided that you deserved a night off from cooking anymore. We did make copies of them as we want to keep them around for future holidays." I blushed, most of those I had gotten from Paula or helped her create. It's part of the reason it was so heavy with vegetables, prepared these ways they were pretty good and good for you.

"Merci Maman, Marie. You didn't have to do that at all. Oh, remind me after dinner and I will show you the pictures I took. Someone was very brave with his new pads." Nah I wasn't proud of my kid...

After dinner there was a small cheese course. Nothing too fancy but it was a good end to the meal. Alex came over and tucked himself in Kris's lap during it. He'd done that a lot the past couple days. "Sleepy ma loture?" I asked as I ran my fingers through his hair. He shook his head no. "Why don't you show your cousins your playroom. We'll call you all when we are having dessert." That seemed to spur him out of the growing lethargy.

With all the kids having gone up to see the playroom I showed off the pictures I took today as well as some of the ideas from the wedding. The shots were a big hit. Christiane and Marie were thrilled that Alex even tried to skate without the trainer.

At the end of the evening everyone wished us well and went home. The house was clean and quiet when I went to find my guys. They were in the playroom building towers with the new blocks. I tiptoed to get my camera and snuck a few shots. I had plans for them. When I had a few I stepped into the room and let Alex see the camera. This made him sit in his papa's lap while I took a few more. Soon enough it was time for a little boy to go to bed. I got shooed downstairs to relax while the guys went through the routine. It gave me a chance to just sit in the light of the tree, basking in the glow of how lucky we were to have such a loving family.
♠ ♠ ♠
You will have noticed this is mostly in English, I didn't feel like writing it all in French.

If you look at the boards I post you will notice that [url=http://www.pinterest.com/shostman/kik-christmas/] this one [url/]has things on it that didn't make it into the chapter, to say I planned Christmas is an understatement.

I went so far as to mame sure that all of the food was documented [url=http://www.pinterest.com/shostman/food-in-my-fics/] on this board[url/]. You should see a post on that one that has the shorthand I use for my fics, this will be updated as I add fics. As soon as I can again make it the cover I will (android tablet vs. Pinterest).

For reference: They have different names for all of the grandparents.
Christiane (Kris' mom) is Mamie
Michel (Kris' stepfather) is Pepe
Marie is Mimi
Her husband Claude is Papi
Marc (Kallie's dad) is Grandda
Julie (Kallie's mom) is G-mam
Claude (Kris' dad) is Pépère