Sequel: Family Goals

Keep It Kasual

Chapter 26

*Jan. 13, 2014* *Kris' POV*

After practice I met Kallie at the church. This afternoon we had a marriage prep session before the Pens and Pins bowling tonight. Fortunately Father McCaffrey was waiting for us. "Good afternoon Kris. Kallie called and said she was going to be a little late. Something about a meltdown."

Ah, this makes sense. Alexander had recently been having problems any time either of us would leave his sight, particularly Kalista. We were going to have to do something about this and fast. "Ah, he has been having problems since New Year's whenever we leave him somewhere. It is becoming stressful for all of us but Kalista especially." The door opened and in came my very frazzled bride.

She dropped her coat and toque and I could see even more that she was nearing the end of her rope. "I am so sorry. He may be a big boy no longer in diapers but we have a long way to go before he is ready for school." She collapsed into the chair and sighed heavily.

Father McCaffrey smiled. "You're not late Kalista and problems with Alex come first. In fact why don't we use the start of this session to talk about how to solve issues like this one. Problems with children. Why do you think this happened?"

It wasn't what we had originally set to talk about but it was a good thing to discuss. "As I said just before Kallie came in. This started after New Year's. I think it might have something to do with us not being there when he went to bed. That was not normal for us." We'd discussed this before but another opinion was always good.

Kallie moved to sit next to me and pretty much laid on me. "I can't disagree about when it started or even how. They are the only things that make sense. I'm more concerned with how to stop it. If we can't get this under control then we won't have much of a life." The tone of her voice told me she needed the surprise I had in store for her this weekend.

Discussing this with Father McCaffrey we figured out that Alex probably needed to expand his social circle beyond the team's children. Kallie was resistant at first. "What if this doesn't help? I don't have any time right now away from him and quite frankly I need some."

I pulled her close. "Then let's find a part time day care. Start at maybe 2 days a week, even for a few hours, to give you a break. If we make it seem fun he might go for it easier." She sighed and laid her hands in my lap. "In fact why don't we talk to Carole-Lyne. Does she not have a place she takes Lola when the others are in school? I bet she would know of a good place."

Kallie sighed and sagged heavier against me. "It can't hurt to try. It's only been 2 weeks and I'm exhausted by the meltdowns." I squeezed her tight, wishing I could be home more.

Father McCaffrey smiled. "Good, you have a plan. This brings up another thing we have needed to talk about. Bringing other children into your family, either through pregnancy or other means. Have you talked about how many kids you want to have?" He sipped the coffee from his mug and waited for our answers.

We looked at each other. "I do not want Alex to be an only child." I blurted out. "He needs to care about more than just himself." It might sound dumb but it was true. Having a little brother or sister, heck even both for all I cared.

Kallie lifted her head and grinned. "I might say I hate my brothers but I really don't. I agree he needs to know how to share and that would be a great way to enforce it." She held up a hand quickly. "Not right away though. I want a little time without diapers." I shrugged and nodded, I couldn't blame her.

As we got further into the discussions of additional children and how we would raise them, it became clear that how we were raising Alex was already how others would be raised. We agreed on discipline and most everything. There were times we disagreed on what was best at that moment for Alex. It was never more than a temporary thing though.

This lead into a deeper conversation about monogamy and how we felt about infidelity. Kallie stunned me by being very frank with Father McCaffrey. "To me there's no room in our marriage for another adult. I'm not against using sex toys to help spice up that aspect of our lives but never another person."

Father McCaffrey snickered. "I appreciate your honesty Kalista. I'm not sure I needed to know all of that but honesty is good. Kris how do you feel about what she said?"

I felt like a fish out of water. I had never heard her speak so honestly about sex. Then I thought about it for a minute before answering. "I think we've hit on something we might want to discuss more between us. I agree that another person, whether as infidelity or a joint idea, is not at all needed. I do have women throwing themselves at me quite often especially when we are on the road. I make a point of saying no firmly, however sometimes I need the help of my teammates to get rid of a persistent woman. I do make a point of skyping Kallie every night, I try to get the chance to tell Alex good night but I don't always make it. Or sometimes she will text me and she will start or Skype conversation."

"And what do you talk about during these conversations?" The Father was leaned in, listening intently.

Kallie laughed musically. "It's recap of our days mostly, a lot of I miss you and I wish you were here too. We try to keep in touch through all sorts of ways. Thanks to you we've been discussing how we want to merge our finances and what big ticket items we want or need to replace in our homes. Recently that was checking the fireplaces in the Montreal home. It led me to call his mom and find out who she uses and if she would proxy a visit for us. We've learned a lot about how to avoid conflict in these meetings. We've even started sharing our calendars online so we each know where the other will be." We had also been looking up ways online to make our partnership and impending marriage even better.

I jumped in. "When I am home we spend time nightly, after Alex goes to bed normally, doing the same. Sometimes it's over a glass of wine or some light snack, other times it's in a joint bath. Sometimes we don't talk about anything serious, it's light stuff we talk about; but we do talk every night. We found an idea online that we have for into our life together. A joint dream board. One place where we can put our dreams. Not only for the immediate future but long term too. We want to start having Alex have a say in some things like this too. Give him a chance to dream where we can see it."

We left after our session was over, happier with what happened. As usual we had homework but that wouldn't be too terrible. It was about talk more about what _we_ wanted in our sex life and when would be a possible time to think about having a baby together. Which led me to think about another baby and what if... Would she have Kallie's eyes or mine? Would he laugh like his maman or differently?

*Saturday, Jan. 18th, 2014 9 am*

Soon enough we had discussed things and knew that we weren't going to leave anything to chance until after the wedding. Today was our couples spa day. I had another surprise for Kallie too, she needed a new winter coat so I had gone through and found one at Macy's. Real lamb fur from Italy and it should hit at her knees. I couldn't wait to give it to her. We were walking Alex down to Marc-Andre and Vero's place. I was watching Kallie shiver as we crossed the few hundred yards that separated our homes. Good thing we were almost there.

We were ushered in with knowing smiles. "Good morning. How is the Letang family this morning?" Flower was holding Estelle as we came in.

Kallie chattered out. "This one is cold!" She was shedding her inadequate coat to try and get warm again. I was pulling Alex out of his winter gear and trying not to laugh at her.

Once Alex was free I straightened up and calmly said. "Flower mon ami, do you know where that coat I had you hang onto is?" Flower grinned and turned to the closet. He opened the door and there was the new coat inside the bag hiding it. "Parfait. My love I have been telling you to get a warmer coat and you haven't, so I did." I pulled out the coat and freed it from the bag.

Kallie gasped as it came free. She made grabby hands and sighed as her hands hit the lamb fur. "Oh. Wool is so warm." I smiled and wrapped her in the coat.

"I knew you would like this one. Wear it today for our day. I do hope you have things packed for dinner too." She smiled slyly, oh she had something packed...

*Kallie's POV*

Alex happily waved good bye to Kris and I as we left. He seemed to have no trouble. We'd see how good he was when we came and got him. I was stunned by Kris' gift, yeah I needed a new coat but I never expected one so luxurious. We walked arm in arm back to our place and grab the bags we each packed. I even made sure I had makeup and jewelry.

A half hour later we were walking into Osiris. "Good morning welcome to Osiris." The attendant behind the desk said cheerily as the door closed.

Kris had his hand on the small of my back as we went over to the desk. "Bon matin. My wife has a waxing appointment before our joint day of indulgence. The name is Letang." I saw the attendant flush and she tried to remain professional.

We were whisked into the back and changed into the provided robes and slippers. Soon enough I was being waxed in areas I had never been waxed before. In the past I had my eyebrows waxed, even did my legs myself, but that pain was nothing compared to the pain of a bikini wax. Even the underarms hurt less. "First bikini wax?" Wendy asked as I muffled a cry of pain.

"What makes you say that?" I said in a watery voice. Kris was murmuring in my ear soothing things about how good I would feel against him, in French.

"You didn't flinch when I did your legs, but you're trying not to cry now. Don't worry the first one is the worst. After that they become more and more the same as legs. Why decide to torture yourself now?" Oh I liked Wendy.

I chuckled, as did Kris. "Our son has been a problem child and we needed a day to ourselves. Vero recommended here to Kris and here we are." That brightened Wendy up. "I take it you know Vero?"

She laughed. "She's great people. If she sent you two here then she loves you a lot. She comes in next week." Wendy set up another strip.

I braced myself and tried to answer her nicely. "Yeah I know. Yewoch! I'm watching Estelle so she can come here." The second side didn't hurt as badly as I had braced for the pain, now that I knew how bad it was.

Soon enough we were being led to a massage room by Wendy. "Here we are. Have a wonderful day and tell Vero I said hi." We went in and were met by two rather well toned men. They introduced themselves as John and Tony.

After we were draped Kris sighed and looked at me. "We needed a day like this. Where we can de-stress and reconnect."

John hit a muscle in my back that I hadn't known was sore. I twinged in pain before answering Kris. "There's been so much to do so far this year I hadn't noticed that we hadn't had much time just the two of us. We needed today for sure." I then found the basalt stones being put on my back and groaned happily as the heat began to sink into my back. We talked about little things while we got worked over. It felt so good to not have a toddler trying to get between us. It was then that I realized just how much Alex at times bullied his way in between Kris and I. "I can't wait to go see those day care centers on Tuesday. I hope Alex likes one of them."

Kris chuckled. "You know we won't be starting him until March right? No point really." I sighed, I knew he wouldn't be starting until then but just having a new routine would be great. "But I can understand why you would be happy. It would mean you could take more jobs if you wanted." I sighed heavily. I had to turn down a lucrative assignment because I wouldn't be able to take Alex and the guys were gone last week.

"It's not just the work I miss. People recognize us sometimes and then they all want pictures with us and I'm trying to work. It gets distracting." John hit a knot at the base of my spine then and all talking ceased for me until he got it worked out. "Anyone ever tell you that you have magic hands?"

He laughed. "A few people. Most of them hit on me though so I don't pay too much attention to it. What kind of work do you do that gets you recognized?"

Kris laughed. "You know who I am yes?" Joint nods occurred by John and Tony. "Now realize that this is my wife and we are talking about our son. She is a photographer and often takes him on jobs with her." I saw Tony nod sagely.

"I bet that would be a problem if you were being interrupted and trying to work. It's only because we love our Pens and their families though. Don't think we'd all do that either, I'd be too nervous myself." I had to chuckle, thinking a guy like Tony would be nervous.

90 minutes later I was drowsing as they put things away. "Giselle and Maria will be in momentarily. Enjoy the rest of your day." They closed the door behind them.

Kris sighed. "I feel like a well worn noodle." I chuckled and swiveled my head to see him. He lay on the massage bed and grinned.

"I had no idea I was so tense. What other lovely things have you planned for us?" Just then the door opened.

"Good morning we are Giselle and Maria. We're ready to begin both your back treatments and then your facials." Kris waved a lazy hand.

I chuckled. "Don't mind him. He's feeling well worked over. What do these back treatments entail? It's my first time here." I would rather own up to being a spa newb than just go along with things that might not be good for me.

"It's a deep exfoliation and refining treatment. We use a Saponaria and Linaria massage cream and steam help ease extractions and a serum and moisturizer are applied to revitalize and hydrate the skin. It can feel odd at first when we begin the extractions but you'll love the results." Maria spoke as Giselle set things up. "It's a good thing to do now because your pores have been opened a bit by the stones which will help the steam open them more."

I nodded understanding what extractions were. "So it should be easier to take all the junk out of the pores on our backs. I've done similar at home with a friend who is a cosmetologist but never thought about having my back cleared." Maybe it would get rid of the itchy feeling I'd been having.

We all chatted about the various treatments we either performed or had done while this went on. I never knew Kris was as into stuff like this it made me think we needed a chance to look great before the wedding. Not to mention de-stress which I had a feeling we would need. I would have to look into good spas in Montreal.

I have no idea how long the entire treatment took, I'm slightly ashamed that I fell asleep. I woke to Maria shaking my shoulder. "'M awake." I said automatically as she chuckled.

"It's time to turn over so I can do your face now. You can go back to sleep if you need to. Kris has been telling us about how ragged your son has been running you." I flushed as I moved so she could drape me again and begin my facial. "Don't be embarrassed. I take it as a compliment if people fall asleep. It proves that they are relaxing into the treatment."

"Thanks. He's been driving me nuts lately and all the differences in the schedule just caught up to me." She patted my shoulder and then I heard Kris chuckle.

"We will find a way to get the schedule more even if we have to love. I know you have been working hard to keep everything balanced and running well. Just think 3 weeks and we will be under the warm sun in Hawaii. Is your mom excited to come on our mother's trip this year? I know mine is." Just like Kris to distract me from troubling thoughts with good ones.

"Oh yes. Both of them come in next Saturday while you're in Dallas. I haven't planned anything so we'll play it by ear. I expect they will have wedding questions so that might be that night. I might see if we can find their dresses for the wedding on Sunday. Give you a chance to have some peace after getting in so late." Maria was spreading the exfoliant on my face as Giselle was doing the same for Kris.

"I'll keep Alex then. I'm sure he will love going to practice with me. We can meet for lunch after." He moaned a little as Giselle started the exfoliation on his face.

After our facials we were moved to another room for our final treatments, the signature pedicure and manicure. Imagine my surprise when my usual manicurist was in the room. "Chloe? I didn't know you worked here too."

She turned and beamed. "Only on a few days a month when they are over booked. Come, sit. This is Amber and that must be your Kris." Amber waved and we sat.

Kris laughed. "So this is your amazing Chloe. She got _so_ many compliments on her nails for New Year's. So many of the girls wanted your name and number." I tried not blushing but it was futile. He had outed me.

After I settled my feet in the basin I sighed. It was perfectly warm. Chloe also settled both of my hands into bowls so that my nails could be done too. "So, I see that you're getting the signature Pedi and a French Mani. Are you still looking for a nice look for your bridesmaids?"

I sighed. "Yeah, something simple for ease of getting them done." In fact Ciera, Vero and I had been trading possible looks via email. "You have an idea?"

She nodded. "It's really simple and yet has just a hint of bling to it. It could even be done on your Ring Girl for her to feel special. You feel like being brave and trying it?"

"Oh just do it. Marc-Andre and I will thank you if she and her girls love it. They have been driving the two of us crazy." I stuck out my tongue at my husband-to-be, childish yes but also fun. Chloe laughed, pulled out a silver glitter pen and set it next to the colors for a classic French Mani.

An hour and a half later my nails were drying and Kris and I were sitting and talking about our upcoming trip. This next week was going to be a hectic one. Not only did we have 2 daycares to check out but also a doctors appointment to make sure Alex was up to date on his shots and a check of my own health all before Saturday. This was before the Pens schedule was taken into account.

It was nice to get on the same page before we went to dinner. Once my nails were dry we separated and got ready for the rest of our night. I slipped into the blue silk top I had brought. It felt delicious against my skin. Next came the stockings, cause I needed some kind of protection from the cold for my freshly waxed legs. Besides they would give Kris a surprise. I dug out my 'school marm' heels and set them down and then the leather midi skirt I had found. I then did a fishtail french braid braided bun in my hair, easier to do than to say, and did my makeup.

I came out of the ladies dressing room and heard a sharp gasp. I looked up to see my finacé standing there waiting for me. "Tabernac! Regardez-vous! Comment est-il possible que personne avant moi vous trouvé? Je dois être l'homme le plus chanceux du monde. (Tabernac! Look at you! How is it possible that no one before you find me? I must be the luckiest man in the world.)" I fondly sighed and went to him.

"Ce est une bonne chose Je te aime. Qui d'autre serait mettre en place avec votre âme romantique caché? (It's a good thing I love you. Who else would put up with your hidden romantic soul?)" We both laughed and gently kissed, not caring who was around. He wrapped me in my new coat and took my bag. Once we were in the car again we headed for downtown.

I couldn't tell you what or where we ate, I should probably get better at navigating at after dark downtown. What I can tell you was that it was one of the best days we had shared in a long time. On our way home Kris stopped by the main post office. "We have some things to drop off." He turned the car off and got out. That's when I got a surprise.

I had been diligently doing all of the save the date addressing when I noticed some were missing, about half of them actually. They came back all nicely done when the guys came home from the Western Canada swing. As we walked in I got my suspicions confirmed. "I couldn't let you do these alone. So I took my half and did them. I had nothing really to do while we were on the plane and your outline helped a lot."

I laughed. "You know you didn't have to do any of them, I had a plan to get them all done and out before the end of the month anyway." It actually warmed my heart that he wanted to do his share of this chore. By sneaking them it meant I was able to get them all stamped with our save the date stamps.

We got to the front of the line and Kris smirked. "We need to mail these." He set the basket of postcards on the desk. "They all have stamps and are ready to go, we just want to know they are on their way." The postal worker chuckled and weighed one to be sure that there was enough postage. Soon enough our basket was empty and we were back on the road home. "There. Now everyone will know that in 6 months you will be mine forever."
♠ ♠ ♠
HAPPY NEW YEAR! I wanted to get this out before the clock hit midnight on the East Coast but we got invited out and there went this plans...

As usual if you want to see what she's wearing hit my Pinterest board.

Also as usual I love hearing what you guys think.

Now I have to go write about babies on a plane...