Status: Work in Progresso.

Finding Kimber

Chapter One

Kimber woke up the morning of the big move. She, her parents, and her five brothers were moving from Southern New Jersey to Atlanta.

She begrudgingly got up. No one wants a big move their junior year of high school. She was just happy she was getting the most separate room. After growing up in a three bedroom house, she’s always been near her brothers. She was glad to get privacy.

Since she was going to be in the car for at least 12 hours, she put on a loose pair of sweats, an old tank top, and shoved her silky blonde-brown hair into a bun. Before going downstairs, she took one last look out her childhood window, vowing to at least visit Vineland again. She kissed the old sticker on the door jamb, her good luck charm, and carried her bag downstairs.

“Hi Mom. Jakie.” Kimber shoved her twin brother away from the island. “How long til we leave?”

“Don’t push your brother Allison. And your father said we’ll be leaving by 9. So, we have twenty minutes to make sure we have everything with us.” Theresa handed Kimber a jacket. “And stop wearing those shirts. You know they’re too revealing.”

“Mom. Please, call me Kimber. And if I’m going to be in a car with those five wackos, I need something comfortable.” Kimber rested her arms on the jacket.

“Your God given name is Allison. I will address you as Allison. You know it’s not proper for a girl of your age to be wearing tank tops around young males. Especially your brothers. Incest is worse than promiscuousness.” Theresa kissed Kimber’s forehead as she headed upstairs to make sure the other boys were up. “And don’t call your brothers names.”

“Why is mom such a biblebunny? She never lectures you boys. And don’t think I don’t know about Rachel’s party…” Kimber shook her head at Jacob as she hopped up on the counter.

“Face it Kimber. You’re her ‘precious little girl’. She can’t let you do anything that would change that. Now cover up your hoohaas before she puts you in her prom dress.” Jacob shuddered at the thought.

“Yeah, yeah. Punk.” She jumped down and put on her jacket. “And never say hoohaas again. It’s gross.” Kimber picked up her bag and walked out to the garage.
♠ ♠ ♠
So. I actually kind of love this. Coolio.