Status: SEMI hiatus -slow updates-

But You're the One I Want

You Are Surrounding All Of My Surroundings

It had been a month since the season started and when Nick and Andrew needed to "cool off". They are on good terms again; best friends can't stay mad at each other for long. But Nick does get irritated when Andrew brings up comments about Riley. Riley hasn't seen the team as a whole, sometimes she would see Jonathan Toews or Corey Crawford at the rink when she's watching Nick's games or practices. She has seen a lot of Brandon Saad though. They've become good friends, and Riley even told Nick about all the hanging out between the two. The only thing Nick was worried about was that Brandon would replace him as her best friend. Which could never happen.

"So what are your plans for the day?" Riley asked as she munched on a chip and sat on the couch. "I was thinking we could go bowling or something like that."

Nick shrugged his shoulders from the other side. "I actually have to workout." Riley was about to say that she could go with, but Nick continued. "With Andrew."

"And there it is," Riley sighed with a shake of her head. She stood up from the couch, grabbing the chip bag and rolling it up. "I don't get why he hates me. What'd I ever do to him?"

"He doesn't hate you," Nick insisted and followed her into the kitchen. "He just strongly dislikes you," he finished slowly, avoiding her face because he knew she would be fuming.

Riley stomped her foot. "Fine, whatever," she said and rolled her eyes. "I'm going over to Brandon's." She grabbed her purse off of the counter before storming out of their apartment. She ignored Nick's protests and continued down to the lobby and outside. She didn't even know Andrew personally, but honestly she could say that she had a very strong disliking for him.

Riley didn't go to Brandon's, except she walked down the shore of Lake Michigan. It reminded her somewhat of home, which she had been feeling homesick for some time now. It was already November, and she was missing her brother who's birthday was in a week. They always would spend the day together as a family, and now that Devin was sober, he was able to do actual normal family things. Riley rested her head on the palm of her chin and let out a long sigh. The waves still crashed on the rocks. Gray clouds filled the sky, and it basically fit her mood. Lonely.

Not that Nick or Brandon didn't fill her needs, but her family was always there for her, and being away from them for so long killed her. Sure, going to Florida with her friends in the summer ment being away from them, but that was usually one week or two. She also missed her older sister, Desiree. Des was five years older than her, but she always gave advice to her as a child and teenager, and just would always help her out with problems involving family, friends, school, boys.

After over an hour, Riley began to get cold since she was only wearing a thin sweatshirt. She slid off the bench she was sitting on and began walking back to the apartment. Nick was most likely still at the gym, so Riley decided to change and get groceries.

When Riley returned home from the store, hands holding several paper bags, she saw that Nick was home. He helped her with putting the food away in it's proper place in the kitchen. Once they were done he turned to her and sighed, looking into her eyes.

"I'm sorry about just leaving you," Nick explained. He didn't like when he had to leave Riley alone.

"No it's fine," she insisted, putting a hand on his bicep. "I shouldn't affect when you go out with your friends. That's just selfish."

Nick smiled and pulled her in for a hug. He wrapped his arms around her waist tightly and kissed her exposed collarbone. Nick kissed her lips before taking a step back. He didn't exactly know where Riley and Brandon were on relationship terms, so he didn't know if the kisses they shared were appropriate. Nick sucked in a breath as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Thanks, you're a great friend, you know?"

"I know," she reaponded lightly before reaching up and putting a hand on his cheek. "And you are too." They stared in each other's eyes, neither of them knew even how long. With Riley's hand still resting on Nick's face. Someone knocked on the door, making Riley and Nick jump apart from each other as they came back to reality. "Um, I'll go get that." She stepped past Nick and went to the door.

Jon stood on the other side, smiling lightly at Riley. He gave her a quick hug before clearing his throat and looking at Nick. "So I came to talk to you about business."

Nick looked at him confused. "Uh, okay?" He nodded his head to Riley for her to go in her room. She shrugged and walked away. "What exactly do we need to discuss?"

That was the last thing Riley heard before closing the bedroom door behind her. She felt like a teenager as she pressed her ear against the wooden door and try to listen in on their conversation. But, she couldn't hear anything besides muffled voices talking about whatever they were talking about. She was going to have to ask Nick later, he would for sure tell her. All she would need to do is wear a puppy face and he would do anything. After a while, she became bored and decided to watch a movie. She picked The Vow and settled by the foot of her bed, on her stomach with a pillow under her as her head rested on it.

People didn't really like this movie, but Riley loved it. The first time she saw it, she cried like a baby. The flashbacks in the beginning was what always got her. She would never admit it out loud, but these romantic type of movies were her favorite. And she made Nick watch the movies with her. He said The Vow was his favorite romantic movie, but Riley doesn't even know why he picked it. She always teased him, saying why he liked it so much was because it showed Channing Tatum's bare butt for a second.

Riley seemed to close out of the world as she watched more movies for the rest of the day. She was checking her phone to see what time it was when Nick walked in. He laughed at the candy bar wrappers and empty pop cans littered on the floor.

"I guess the mini fridge was a good idea?" Nick smirked as he sat on the bed, the same way Riley had been for the past six hours. He grabbed another pillow to rest his head on.

She nodded and paused the movie. "So what did Jon talk to you about?"

"Nothing you need to be concerned with, babe." He went under the covers too and slinked an arm across Rileys's bare back. She shedded the clothes a long time ago, now just wearing a sports bra and underwear. He reached for the remote turning the movie, She's The Man, back on. Riley got sick of the sappy movies and needed a comedy in the mix. "You watched The Vow without me? Come on, I thought you loved me," Nick said when he spotted the case on the floor.

Riley giggled, but said nothing in return as she watched Amanda Bynes's character play soccer as her brother. They watched the rest of the movie without saying anything. Riley was trying to think of ways to get Nick to tell her what him and Jonathan talked about. It obviously was something about the hockey team, but Riley didn't know if it involved her or not. Everything seemed to involve her lately.

After the movie was over Riley buried her face in the pillow, suddenly feeling tired. Nick moved, so he was laying right on top of her. She coughed as the weight pressed on her, choking out for Nick to get off of her. He laughed and flipped Riley over, pinning both of her arms above her head as he smirked down at her.

She stayed emotionless, even though this was turning her on. "Nick, what the hell are you doing?"

"I just need to get my mind off of all the crap," he groaned.

"No!" Riley shrieked as she tried to push him off her. If she was going to have sex with Nick it would be because he loved her too. "Nick, no."

He started laughing like crazy and rolled off of her. He rested his head up with his hand as he stared at her. "I was kidding. But I'm kind of hurt that you were that appalled of the thought of having sex with me."

She rolled her eyes, pushing his chest so he fell off the bed. Her phone rung, Brandon was calling her. She swallowed and Nick looked up from his spot on the floor, looking at her curiously.

"Who's that?"

"Bradon," Riley answered. There was no point in lying now that Nick knew they were friends.

"I'm starting to think that you like him more than me." Nick stood back up went to the tv to turn it off.

Riley ignored the call and walked over to him. "I coule never like him more than you," she whispered. She only wished she could say on a relationship level as well to him, but that wouldn't be such a good idea.

Image


"A size nine in women's and eleven in men's, please," Nick requested and waited for the worker to hand him the bowling shoes they were renting. Since a couple days ago Nick couldn't go bowling, they decided to now when he had no practice or workout. He paid for the shoes and lane and walked over to where Riley was sitting and putting the names on the scoreboard. He tazered her as he came up behind her and laughed when she let out a small scream.

She swatted him and bent over in her seat to put on the shoes.

They bowled for around an hour, playing two games which Nick won both of them, but Riley didn't care. They shared a thing of nachos after and a pop. It was late at night on a Saturday and the bowling alley they were at had a special dance for people over eighteen where they had a dance floor and you could both bowl and bust a move. The lights dimmed and Riley pulled Nick out of the chair. Couples and groups of people gathered around them as everyone danced and sang along to the songs playing. A slow song started, making people either get closer or some just leave the floor. Before Riley could walk off, Nick pulled her in close, holding her as they swayed along to the music.

Nick buried his head in Riley's neck and kissed it several times. When the song ended they pulled apart and decided to leave since it was close to eleven and he had practice in the morning.

"Thanks for hanging out with me today," Riley said as they walked out. Nick grabbed two of her fingers and swung their hands back and forth.

"You're my best friend, that's what they do."

"Kiss each other's neck?" Riley teased as they climbed into his car.

He blushed, looking away from her. He didn't respond though as they drove back to their apartment.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry I didn't update sooner! I just got home from vacation today so I'll update in a couple days again.

Thank you to everyone who takes their time out of the day to read this. :)