Status: SEMI hiatus -slow updates-

But You're the One I Want

Is That What You Really Want

NOTE: Please read the author's note!!

"You really need to pay attention to school more."

"Shut up."

"I'm just saying, do you want to graduate early?"

"Nick, just shut up!" Riley screamed. She was getting fed up with Nick constantly bugging her about school, but the thing was, was she is getting A's in every class, but just because Riley got a bad grade on her last test of one of her classes, Nick had been on her case of 'not studying enough'. "Just, stop. You don't even know what I'm getting in the classes, okay?"

Nick rolled his eyes, standing up from the couch. "What's up your ass?"

"You want to know?" Nick nodded. "You! And you're fucking teammates. I understand that that asshole doesn't care for me, but he can't kick me out of my own apartment! And you can stop riding my ass about my school work and grades."

The night before, Nick had a little get together at their apartment, meaning that Andrew was there because the two were like best friends. Andrew and Riley had gotten in a screaming match, and since Andrew was apart of the team and "was friends longer" he kicked Riley out of her own place, making her sit in the lobby until he left. It was the most ridiculous thing ever, but Riley claimed it didn't bother her. Now she was finally letting out all the stress.

"I just can't do this anymore, Nicky," Riley sighed, burying her face in her hands, trying not to let the tears fall. "I knew I should've never came here."

"Hey," he said softly and sat down by her. He grabbed her wrists, making her look up at him. Nick wiped at her damp cheek. "Please don't say that. I mean, you've made friends who love you. And I've also had a phenomenal season so far. Baby, no you can't go."

She sniffed. "I guess I might just be homesick too."

Nick smiled and crushed her to his side. "Thanksgiving is in a week and a half, do you think you can handle that?"

"It sucks that you're not able to go back home with me." The Blackhawks had an away game the day before and the day after Thanksgiving, not giving the Americans time to travel back home to fill their stomachs with turkey and stuffing. But they were going home that weekend to see their family. "At least you'll still get time a couple days after."

Nick nodded, "yeah, and you'll be there and you can come over to my place for a second dinner." Riley was planning on leaving with Nick Monday morning, and was going to be having dinner with the Leddys Sunday night. Luckily they are from Minnesota, so it isn't to far away from Chicago.

Riley stood up, nodding her head and stretching. She was suppose to be meeting Brandon soon for dinner. Over the last couple weeks, they had gotten very close and had been going on actual dates to fancy restaurants and being formal and not just picking up fast food and eating it at Brandon's apartment. She walked into her room, rummaging through a few shirts before seeing the black dress she was looking for. She grabbed the pair of black heels off the floor and set them on her bed before slipping out of her clothes and getting into the dress. Riley stood in front of the mirror in her bathroom, debating what to do with her hair. It was times like this she wished she just had normal hair. She ended up just straightening it, even though it was already pin straight. After doing her make up and sliding on the heels, Riley made her way out and to the living room.

Nick's eyes widened before darkening slightly. "You look amazing," he gushed and stood up to look over Riley. "So are you and Brandon really that serious? I can't even get you in a dress."

She giggled and shrugged. "He's asked me on a few dates, like formal crap. I don't know, he's really nice."

Nick sighed, looking away from her dark eyes. He just wished he was the one getting to take Riley out and show her off to the world. "Well have fun, and be home by midnight."

Riley smiled, bringing Nick in a hug. "Thank you," she whispered. "For everything."

He smiled bringing his lips down to hers, but pulled away almost instantly, knowing that it was wrong when she was just leaving to go on a date with Brandon. Nick smiled weakly at her before she turned around and left. He let out a breath of air, running a hand through his brown hair. He just wanted to be the one Riley wanted to be in a relationship with.

Image


Dinner was really great. They went to a fancy steak place, which was delicious. Riley found herself liking Brandon more and more with each passing day. Now, Brandon was driving her back to her and Nick's apartment. He parked in a spot, turning off the car and shifting his body towards Riley. She unbuckled the seatbelt before facing his as well. He smiled at her, making her grin too.

"I like you a lot, Riley," he started. "You're different from most girls, and that's one thing that I like about you. So, I was wondering if you'd be my girlfriend?"

She smiled at him, but inside she was going crazy. Her mind was about to explode as every possible thought ran. Her heart was telling her to say yes, let someone in for once. Her lips were begging her to say yes so they could be pressed up to Brandon's. But back in her mind, it was some different thoughts going on. Dating Brandon would mean no kissing or flirting with Nick, no chance to actually be with Nick. For some reason, it all just went back to number eight.

He looked uneasy as he waited for her reply. But when she nodded her head, relief clearly washed over his face. Brandon grabbed her face, smashing his lips to hers.

Riley knew she should be ecstatic about it, but it felt as if she was somehow cheating on Nick.

Image


"So... what you're saying is that Brandon is your boyfriend, and you're his girlfriend?" Nick asked, waiting for Riley to confirm it. "God damn it, Riley!" He exclaimed when she nodded her head. "I told you specifically to stay away from them, and you go and date one! I swear to God, if you distract him in anyway, I won't be afraid to send you back home."

She clicked her tongue and crossed her arms, trying so hard not to say the first thing that comes to her mind. "Sorry. Sorry that I actually opened up to someone other than you and let someone in," she said with her hands moving everywhere. "I just don't know how to please you these days."

Nick rubbed his forehead. "Listen, Riles, I am really happy for you. I'm just scared about the team, that's all." No, he was scared that he was being replaced. That Riley was going to be kissing and hugging and giving someone else her love. "You and Brandon make a cute couple." He almost wanted to puke when the words came out of his mouth.

She smiled triumphantly before getting on her tip toes to kiss Nick on his cheek. When she walked away, Nick touched the spot on his cheek, sighing dramatically. He walked into his room to change into something different. He needed someone to talk his mind off of Riley tonight.

"Hey, are you going out with Brandon or something tonight?" Nick asked when he popped his head in Riley's room.

She looked up from her computer, ready to respond when she saw Nick. She stood up and walked up towards his, examining his outfit and taking a deep breath through her nose. "You're wearing cologne?" Riley asked and he shrugged his shoulders. "You must be really trying to get laid."

Nick rolled his eyes and he repeated the question.

"Well I wasn't planning on it, but I guess if you'll be bringing a girl home..."

"No, no it's fine. I'll see you sometime in the morning okay?"

Riley nodded and shut the door behind her. She rolled her eyes and continued to write the lab paper. But she couldn't exactly concentrate since her best friend was deciding to whore it up. Plus, Riley didn't know that having a boyfriend would mean no more hanging out on a Saturday night. She sighed frustrated and closed her laptop shut. She grabbed her phone, punching the keys and pressing it up against her ear.

"Hey babe," Brandon answered, letting it fall off his tongue.

"Do you want to come over?"

Image


Riley woke up the next morning, hearing pots and pans being banged around. She wiggled out of Brandon's grip around her waist and stood up. She stretched before going into the bathroom and brushing her teeth and putting her hair up with a clip. Brandon was still asleep so she poked his side. He stirred before opening his eyes and grinning up at Riley. He threw on his shirt and pants before following her out to the kitchen.

Last night when Nick left, Brandon came over and the ended up ordering Mexican food while playing the video games there. Then when they got bored of that and tired, they went into Riley's room and watched tv before falling asleep. Brandon was a different sleeper than Nick. Brandon was more delicate and peaceful. He would hold Riley close to his body and make sure never to wake her. Nick on the other hand was more selfish when it came to his bed. When Riley first came to Chicago and had to share a bed with him, he would still actually hold her and be close to her, but whenever she would move he wouldn't be afraid to kick her off his bed. Plus he snored.

Brandon and Riley walked into the kitchen, seeing Nick trying to make pancakes, but failing. Riley pushed Nick out of the way before picking up a pancake that could pass as a puck. She knocked it on the counter before throwing it at Nick. Brandon went to the fridge, taking out and pouring three glasses of chocolate milk. Nick went and sat down at the kitchen island. He watched the couple interact. They were whispering and giggling as she cooked and flipped the pancakes onto a plate. Brandon wrapped his arms around her waist and started kissing her neck and shoulder. That's when Nick had to leave and go off to his room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw poor Nick :((

I am so sorry, but this story is going on semi hiatus. SEMI. I learned that it's tough to write two stories and update them regularly. The updates will just come slower, but I am still going to update!! And I promise to make the chapters worth the wait! I just need to pay more attention to my Shaw story. Again, I am so so so so sorry, please don't unsubscribe! Love you all.