Status: Active

Just My Luck

six

The wedding reception that Kylie planned was finally over with, and she could enjoy the rest of her vacation with Jon. She was currently in her room, changing into her bikini so she and Jon could go to the pool. Just as she promised, there was a lot for Jon to do while she was working. He spent most of that time sleeping while she was away since he and Kylie had been out pretty late.

This vacation was just what she needed, especially with what had happened with Patrick outside of the bar. She felt blessed to have a friend as amazing as Jon. He was always there for her, he kept her mind off of Patrick, and he just knew the right things to say to make her smile. There was never a moment where he made her feel unwanted and all she wanted to do was repay him for it. She felt like he was being a better friend than she was.

“Hey, you ready to go?” Jon asked, walking into Kylie’s room after she had let him in.

“I just need a few more minutes to pack up,” she said as she grabbed her towel from the bathroom. She was just like a mother, always packing things “just in case.” Their first day there, they ran out of sunscreen and by the end of the day, Jon had gotten a sunburn. Now she made sure to pack a bottle of sunscreen to prevent the incident from happening again.

Once she was all set to go, she and Jon made their way to the hotel pool. They made small talk as they walked over but they mostly walked in a comfortable silence. Jon found two poolside chairs next to each other for them to put their things down. Kylie eagerly took off her clothes so she could go to the bar that they had in the pool. She absolutely loved sitting on the stone benches that were in the pool. She could drink and swim at the same time.

Kylie massaged some sunscreen into Jon’s back. If it wasn’t weird, he would have let out a little groan from the pleasure. As much as he was having fun on his trip, he hated it half the time. There were beautiful girls running around half naked, but he couldn’t get his mind off of Kylie. Part of him wanted her, but the other part didn’t because he didn’t want any more drama. She was with one of his teammates and he knew that if he tried anything with her, it would cause trouble he didn’t want.

“Come on, there are a few seats left at the bar!” She smiled, grabbing onto his hand and dragging him into the pool. The hotel had two pools and was right next to the beach, but Kylie and Jon still found themselves squeezing in between people to make their way through.

Sitting down at the pool bar, Jon ordered their drinks as he could see Kylie kicking her feet in the water from the corner of his eye. “You’re like a little kid sometimes, you know that?” he laughed.

“Maybe you should give it a try,” she smirked. “The season’s over. There’s no need to be Captain Serious while we’re here. It’s a vacation,” she reminded him.

“I’m not serious all the time,” he frowned, taking his drink from the bar tender. “I’ve kicked back a lot since coming here.”

Kylie rolled her eyes, sipping on the bright blue drink. “Barely. It’s like we’re back home and you giving me the excuse that you have to drive home later.”

“Okay, fine. We’ll do things your way,” Jon said, holding his hand out for the bar tender once more. “Can I get four shots of your best vodka?”

“Who are you and what have you done with my Jonny?” she teased.

He was thankful that he had a sunburn, or else she’d see him blush. She called him my Jonny. “Shut the hell up,” he laughed. “Oh, thanks!” Jon called out to the bar tender, who quickly walked away after placing the four shot glasses down. “What should we toast to?” He asked, sliding over two shot glasses so it was resting in front of her.

“To Captain Serious for being not so serious,” she giggled. Jon rolled his eyes before clinking their glasses together. He hated doing shots because he had to take so many just for him to get drunk.

Kylie and Jon stayed at the bar for quite a while. They enjoyed each other’s company and drank until they were both giggling uncontrollably. They were both close to drunk, but were smart enough to decide to not go out to a restaurant to grab some dinner, knowing that they would get kicked out. Instead, they were heading back to Kylie’s room, ordering some room service before they would go out again.

Jon headed back to his room to shower before he walked back into Kylie’s room. She was still in the shower as he laid in her bed to watch TV. Jon was still pretty buzzed so he would often chuckle out loud as he watched SpongeBob. He didn’t even notice that Kylie was out of the shower until she passed by him in her bathrobe.

“I love this episode,” she giggled.

“You’re still drunk too?” He smiled.

Kylie laughed, “No! This is just a really funny episode!”

He scoffed at her as he watched her dig through her suitcase to find something to wear. “If you’re not drunk, then look me in the eye and say it.”

After pulling out something black from her suitcase, she walked over to Jon and sat next to him in the bed. As soon as she looked at him, she busted out laughing before falling back into her bed. Jon looked down at her and smiled when Kylie looked up at him with her big brown eyes. Patrick was stupid for letting her go. There was a knock on her door, making Jon break away from his thoughts. He got up from her bed and opened the door, letting the waiter walk in. The waiter pushed the cart in that held their food and just started at Kylie as she still sat in her bathrobe.

“Alright, thanks for stopping by,” Jon patted the waiter’s shoulders and guided him out of the room. He pulled out a ten dollar bill from his pockets and shoved it onto the waiter’s chest before shutting the door.

“Aw, what was that for? He was cute!” Kylie whined as she stretched her arms out. Her bathrobe rose up a little, exposing her legs.

“Go get dressed,” Jon mumbled, throwing a pillow at her.

She got up and grabbed her dress before going into the bathroom to change. Jon waited for her to return before he ate his food. She was wearing her favorite black summer dress, something that she had picked up in Hawaii while vacationing with Patrick. After eating their dinner, they both sobered up and Kylie had stopped laughing at everything Jon did.

Jon managed to catch an eyeful of her cleavage as she leaned forward to put her sandals on. He still couldn’t understand how Patrick could have left a woman like her. From the stories that he heard in the locker room to seeing how her personality was, Kylie seemed to be the perfect woman for Jon. He knew that no matter how hard he would try to win her heart over, it would always belong to Patrick. It was pointless.

“So, is this how the rest of your summer is going to be?” Jon questioned, after they did another shot. They were currently at an outside bar that supposedly was the best bar on the beach.

“I wish,” she chuckled. “I don’t always get to do destination parties. Sometimes I do boring office parties. But this is my first time ever leaving the country for work.”

“You always stayed because of him, right?”

She nodded at his question as she stirred her drink with her straw. “I spent most of my time with him and his family during the summers. I would mainly take small parties, like grandma’s 80th birthday. I’d only have to be in Chicago by myself only a week or two during the summer.”

“Why did you just bring him along like you’re doing with me?”

“I was afraid he would distract me from doing my job,” she explained. “But right now, I need the distraction.”

“I understand,” he nodded. “You still really miss him, huh?”

He knew he was being nosey but he wanted to know how she felt. It was an obvious fact that she still loved Patrick, but he needed to know if she was getting over him or not.

“Yeah, I do,” she gave him a shy smile, like she was ashamed for missing him. “I mean, we were together for five years and I was supposed to marry the guy. It kinda hurts me that everyone expects me to move on so quickly.”

“I don’t expect it,” he said honestly. “Even though he hurt you, I don’t expect you to stop loving him right away. You guys seemed so perfect for each other.”

She shrugged, “Maybe we were too perfect.” She took a final sip of her girly red drink and pushed it to the side before ordering another. “Can I ask you something, and trust you that you’ll be a 100 percent honest with me?”

“Of course,” he nodded. “I’d never lie to you.”

“Did you that he was cheating on me before we broke off our engagement?” She asked sadly.

“No,” he said firmly, “I swear none of us had any idea. At first, we all thought it was a joke when he told us, but when Nik confirmed it, we all just stayed quiet because we were so shocked. If I suspected anything I would’ve told you.”

She was actually happy with his answer. She knew that locker room talk was sacred and that she was just another one of the WAGs, but it meant a lot to her when Jon said he would’ve told her. She wasn’t entirely sure if he was telling the truth or not since they weren’t close then as they are now. Just hearing it made her feel more comfortable.

“God,” she groaned, “I just wanna forget him and get drunk.”

And Jon didn’t argue with that. He kept ordering drinks before she even finish the one she had in her hands. He knew there wasn’t anything he could do to fix her broken heart. There was nothing that anyone could do, not even Patrick. She had to do it all on her own, and all Jon could do was support her actions and join in on the fun.

“I can’t believe they kicked us out,” Kylie shook her head in disbelief. She and Jon were taking a little stroll along the beach. They were both walking in their bare feet, feeling the squishy, damp sand in between their toes. Kylie was stumbling over her own two feet, so she had her arm linked with Jon’s for support.

He laughed, “I can. You were being that loud obnoxious person no one likes.”

“Hey, it’s not like I was like that blond girl. She was getting ready to dance on the table tops,” she argued. “Can you carry me? My feet hurt.”

Jon sighed but he kneeled down in front of her. She let out a little squeal in excitement as she jumped on his back. Her head rested on his shoulder with her head facing his.

“What are you doing?” He laughed, feeling her hand tickle his neck.

“You have a lot of moles,” she giggled. “But it’s pretty, like you.”

He groaned at the word “pretty.” No one ever used that word to describe him. “I’m a man. Men aren’t pretty.”

“But you are,” she reasoned. Jon was drunk as well, although he was nowhere near Kylie’s level. He decided to stop walking so he and Kylie could sit on the sand. They were close enough to feel the water if they wanted, but not so close that they were sitting on wet sand.

“I can’t believe I’m here right now,” Jon let out a sigh as he laid back into the sand with Kylie following his actions. “I’m drunk in Aruba with some girl that isn’t even my girlfriend.”

She smiled as she turned to her side so that she was now looking at Jon. “You act like that’s such a bad thing,” she chuckled lightly. “I think we both deserve this vacation. Oh, I have an idea! Let’s go swimming!”

“No!” Jon laughed, pulling Kylie back down as she tried to get up. “It’s dark and we’re both going to drown.”

Kylie let out a disappointed sigh but did as she was told. She and Jon just looked up at the sky, listening to the waves crashing against the sand. For the first time in months, Kylie actually felt happy. She had no worries in the world and was drunk on the beach. She couldn’t think of a place or situation she would rather be in.

“Kylie,” Jon spoke up, tugging her dress to get her attention. “When you first met her, did you ever think that she’d steal him away?” And there went her happiness.

“I didn’t know what to expect when I first met her,” she told him, sounding more sober than she had ten minutes ago. “She was nice, but she seemed a little fake about it. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and believed that she was just looking after him, but he told me their friendship wasn’t always that great. Some days she’d be his best friend, other days they’d find themselves fighting. He said it was complicated.”

“Do you think they slept together as teenagers?” He asked her.

Kylie laughed, “From what I heard, she was more into the older college boys in the area. Patrick did tell me he tried a few times but she always turned him down.”

Jon rolled his eyes. “He’s such a dumbass. He was the one that we all kind of looked up to when it came to relationships. It seemed like he had it all.”

“Do you think that’s why he left me?” She asked unhappily. “She was finally back in his life and was finally willing to be with him and fulfill his stupid teenage fantasy.”

“I don’t know, but it makes more sense than him finding something wrong with you.” Jon said as he looked over at her, only to be greeted with a pair of sad eyes. “He’ll regret his decision one day, trust me.”

Not knowing what else to say, Kylie stood up and left her sandals on the sand. She walked towards the water until the water was up to her ankles and just stared out onto the ocean. She wondered if what he had told her was right. She thought it was highly unlikely that Patrick would ever want her back. The night the two broke up, they both said some things that they didn’t mean and ended on a bad note. For the first time in five years, Patrick raised his voice at her and she didn’t hesitate to slap him across the face.

Jon left her alone for only a moment or two before joining her in the water. He gave her a sincere smile once she had looked up at him. “You alright there?”

“We should get to bed soon. We have to wake up early to make sure we can rent those jet skis,” she said, giving Jon a little smile. She turned on her heel to go and pick up her sandals. Jon soon followed in suit and stayed a few feet behind her as they walked back to the hotel. “Night Jon.”

“Goodnight, Kylie. I’m sorry again,” he apologized. She didn’t know what he was sorry for this time, but she appreciated the gesture. She gave him a peck on his cheek before she walked into her hotel room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you guys so much for the feedback! I'm glad you guys are liking the series so far. Continue with the feedback and I'll gladly update soon! And I know this chapter might not be interesting, but I thought it would be fun to see Kylie happy for once. Plus, this chapter will play an important role later on in the series.

FYI I start school on the 26th! So I don't know how often updates are going to be. My schedule isn't super crazy, so I might be able to update at least once a week.