1941

фасад

A bomb exploded outside. Panicked voices and screams rose above the explosions. What was happening? That was what she wanted to know.

"Варушка, принять ваш брат и скрыть!"

She stared at her father with widened and frightened eyes. She remained still, shaking with fear despite her father's urgent order. Suddenly, large, rough hands grabbed her shoulders and shook her with force.

"Сделайте это немедленно!" Her father bellowed.

Varushka flinched at his tone; She had never heard her father raise her voice at her nor did she see him look so panicked until now. Fear then crept into her mind, clouding her thoughts and senses. Her knees suddenly grew weak, her mouth quivered and even tears threatened to fall from her eyes.

Her father, a large muscular man with a shaved head, had panicked when he awoke to screams and grenades exploding outside of his house. Now, his heart ached when he saw the effect of his panic on his daughter. His eyes softened and he knelt down, kissing her temple. Afterwards, he looked into her eyes and said, "Возьмите брата на чердак и спрятать там. Не ходи или посмотрите вниз, пока эти люди не оставили. Пройти винтовку и нож с вами," he kissed her temple again and continued, "Теперь, идите получить своего брата."

Varushka nodded and turning on her heels, she ran towards their room. Suddenly, the door of their room opened and a small lanky boy ran into the middle of the narrow corridor, crying loudly until he turned and saw his sister running towards him.

"Сестра, что происходит за пределами?" He whimpered as he grabbed a fistful of her shirt. With snot dripping from his nose and tears running down his face, he stared helplessly into his sister's eyes, hoping for an answer. But she didn't have one. They were both clueless kids who were blind to all the chaos around them.

Varushka wanted to hug him and cry until it was all over but she had to be strong for the both of them so she shushed him softly, wiping his nose with the edge of her shirt. "Луке, перестать плакать. Большие мальчики не плачут," squeezing his hand, she continued, "Пойдем, я дам вам контрейлерные ездить к маме и Папа."

Luka nodded meekly and sniffing loudly, he climbed on his sister's back. Varushka squeezed her eyes shut because of the pain brought by the sudden weight on her back. She didn't want to admit it but her brother was getting heavier each passing day. She breathed deeply and mustered every ounce of her strength to push herself up with her legs then willed herself to run towards her parent's room. But when she was a few feet from the room, a loud explosion occurred; the impact reverberated throughout the walls making the house tremble and Varushka lose her footing and slip on the wooden floor, sending her sprawling on the ground with her brother on top.

"Варушка, Луке!" Her mother screamed amidst the commotion once she saw her children fall to the floor. She scrambled towards them and scooped Luka into her arms, pulling Varushka up to her feet at the same time.

"Мама!" Varushka finally wailed, tears flooding her face. She hastily got up and followed her mom to the room.

"Быстро! Помогите мне толкать кровать к стороне," her mother ordered her as she pushed the bed with her free hand while the other cradled Luka. Varushka nodded and pushed it towards the other end of the room. And after pushing the bed away, a small door was found on the floor with a miniature handle.

"Павел!" Alma shouted as Varushka started to pull the handle of the door. At the same time, Luka's cries suddenly stopped and he fell unconscious on his mother's shoulder.

"Мама, дверь открыта. Что мне делать?" Varushka turned to her mother, panic lacing each word.

"Давайте-"

"Альма!" Her father called as he burst through the door, "Возьмите детей и скрыть. Спешите!"

She ignored her husband's plea as she placed Luka's unconscious body in her daughter's arms and pushed her softly towards the door, saying softly, "Идите и спрятать там. И помните, что я люблю вас обоих."

Varushka nodded weakly and scampered inside the small compartment with Luka close to her chest. Once Varushka and Luka disappeared, Pavel turned to his wife, Alma, and begged, "Альма, пожалуйста, спаси себя и своих детей. Я не заботятся о моей жизни. Я просто хочу, чтобы моя семья, чтобы жить!"

Alma, a short but stubborn woman, stood her ground and stared at him with a steely gaze, "Это также своим долгом защитить наших детей так не осмеливаются отрицать мое право делать то же самое, как вы." But when she saw her husband’s crestfallen expression, her eyes softened, “Простите меня за эгоизм, Павел, но позвольте мне быть эгоистом на этот раз. Я не могу жить в муках без тебя.”

Pavel sighed, but he couldn't do anything to stop her. It wasn't because he was weak, he was much stronger than her but he married a very stubborn woman. Still, he couldn’t shake that nagging feeling inside him off. He wanted her to hide with their children but who was he to force her? Luka and Varushka were her children as much as they were his.

"Тогда -"

A loud bang cut in the middle of Pavel's speech, making the both of them flinch in surprise. But they composed themselves quickly and without needing words, they pushed the bed back to its original place.

"дверь, Павел, дверь!" Alma hissed at him as she put the bed into its original place with one final push when she heard loud and hurried footsteps clamber up the stairs.

Pavel quickly barricaded the door with his large body, ignoring the pain whenever the sudden force from behind pushed him back. But two or three men against one wasn't a fair fight; the soldiers overpowered him and with one push, they broke down the door and forced Pavel to the ground. Not only did his nose break but his also his consciousness wavered.

"Пройти его на улицу, и я буду убей женщину."

The two soldiers grabbed Pavel's body, one carrying him by his shoulders and the other carrying his feet. After a few moments, only one soldier remained. He walked towards Alma, grabbing her chin forcefully, staring her down. But Alma stood her ground, staring fearlessly into the cold monster's eyes in front of her even though fear was gnawing her inside. Summoning all of her courage, she spat at the German and hissed with venom lacing each word, "Вы Немецкий ублюдок пойдут в ад."

Furious, the soldier threw her down to the ground, stomping on her body with his boot. He kicked her once then twice until he was satisfied. Finally, he raised his Mondragon rifle at point-blank range and squeezed the trigger without any hint of remorse - only cruelty under the facade of false nationalism.
♠ ♠ ♠
Note that these translations are not accurate. I got these translations from using online translators.

Translations:
фасад - facade
Павел – Pavel
Альма – Alma
Варушка – Varushka
Луке – Luka

принять ваш брат и скрыть! – Take your brother and hide
Сделайте это немедленно – Do it now
Возьмите брата на чердак и спрятать там. Не ходи или посмотрите вниз, пока эти люди не оставили. Пройти винтовку и нож с вами - Take your brother to the attic and hide there. Do not go down or look down until these people have left. Take my rifle and knife with you.
Теперь идите получить своего брата – Now, go get your brother.
Сестра, что происходит за пределами? – Sister, what’s happening outside?
Луке, перестать плакать. Большие мальчики не плачут – Luka, stop crying. Big boys don’t cry.
Пойдем, я дам вам контрейлерные ездить к маме и Папа. - Come on, I'll give you a piggyback ride to Mama and Papa.
Быстро! Помогите мне толкать кровать к стороне - Quick! Help me push the bed to the side.
Мама, дверь открыта. Что мне делать - Mom, the door is open. What should I do?
Возьмите детей и скрыть. Спешите - Take the kids and hide. Hurry!
Идите и спрятать там. И помните, что я люблю вас обоих. - Go and hide there. And remember that I love you both.
пожалуйста, спаси себя и своих детей. Я не заботятся о моей жизни. Я просто хочу, чтобы моя семья, чтобы жить! – please save yourself and our children. I do not care about my life. I just want my family to live.
Это также своим долгом защитить наших детей так не осмеливаются отрицать мое право делать то же самое, как вы. - It is also my duty to protect our children so do not dare to deny my right to do the same as you.
Простите меня за эгоизм, Павел, но позвольте мне быть эгоистом на этот раз. Я не могу жить в муках без тебя. – Forgive me for being selfish, Pavel, but allow me to be selfish for once. I cannot live in agony without you.
Тогда – Then
дверь, Павел, дверь – The door, Pavel, the door
Пройти его на улицу, и я буду убей женщину - Take him outside and I'll kill the woman
Вы Немецкий ублюдок пойдут в ад. - You German bastard will go to hell.

I researched about the difference between pulling, squeezing and pushing the trigger and I found an explanation in this site:
Squeezing a trigger is what you do when shooting bullseye type fine accuracy effort precision shooting, with a handgun or rifle.
Most often this is appropriate for and what is taught to newbie gun trainees as well as to fine accuracy shooters and to instructors as by instructors when discussing how to train new shooters and/or precision shooting.

Pressing the trigger is what you do toward combat handgun and rifle shooting, as at close to intermediate distances.
Pressing the trigger does not work well for bullseye and other fine accuracy shooting nor does it help new shooters best develop good fine motor control of their finger by their brain.

Pulling the trigger is what is done on shotguns when firing shot.
There is no trigger squeeze nor press as related to the projectile itself being shot. Even as the shotgun might be highly choked (full or extra full), which is purposed to extend range of the projectiles fired, and result in a tight pattern at distance.


Since the soldier was using a Fusil Mondragon which is a semi/full-automatic rifle, it can be classified under the category of ‘squeezing the trigger.’

Thanks to The Red Tazelwurm for editing this chapter!