My Name is Driftwood

Goats and Goodbyes

Emilia watched Tim and Kim and continued to not like it. Tim and his band took off for a tour, Kim went with him. He had always promised he'd get EM out of Nebraska, but he was leaving her there with a promise of, "I'll come back." She began to write.
Emilia was having lunch with Tim's sister Beth after he left. Beth stared at her.

"What is going on with you?" she asked Emilia.

"I'm just dealing with some shit," Emilia said, sucking down a beer.

"Tim's really worried about you, you know."

"Meh," she said, shaking a hand.

Beth furrowed her brows and leaned forward.

"What?" Emilia remarked, eyebrows raised.

"EM, why don’t you just tell him?"

"Tell him what?" Emilia said making a face.

"Tell Tim that you miss him."

"He knows I miss him."

"Then tell him the truth."

"And what would that be?"

Beth looked at her and shook her head.

"Anyone can see that you two want to be together."

"Meh."

"That's why you have such a problem with Kim."

"Meh."

"EM!"

"It's not that at all. I don't ever get to see him. He made promises to me and broke them for her. I'm mad at him, I think he's an ass."

Beth shook her head in a motherly way.

"He is. But, so are you. Just talk to him."

"Meh."

"Oh stop it, you sound like a damn goat."

With that, they both laughed and the subject was changed.

When Tim came back from the tour, he was engaged. Emilia found it hard to be happy for him and she was about to be even less happy. One night when Kim was working, they were hanging out at the bar.

"So," he said nervously. "I'm taking a little hiatus from the band."

Emilia gave him a look.

"Why? You guys just finished the second album."

"We're moving."

Her heart began to pound and she felt sick to her stomach.

"Where?" she asked quietly.

"Oregon, right after the wedding. Oh, you're going to be my best man, right?"

She was silent as he looked at her expectantly.

"EM?"

"You said," she whispered, "that you were going to take me with you. But, you're leaving me in this hell-hole again."

"What?"

She turned her brown eyes, now wet with tears to meet his blue ones.

"The day we met, you promised you'd get me out of here and you're leaving me again."

"I did?"

Emilia shook her head and stood up. She began to stalk to the door. He followed her. Once outside, he caught her arm and pinned her to the wall.

"What is this Emilia? I thought you were happy for me?"

"I am," she said sniffing. "I'm just jealous."

"Of Kim?"

She wiped her nose with her sleeve.

"I just miss you, ok? Things are falling apart for me. I'm too used to having you around."
Emilia stormed off and joined Matt at the bar, Tim followed and joined Kim. Matt saw her face and took her outside, hugging her close. Tim watched them and felt a pang in his chest. He hated hurting her, but he was in love. Why couldn't she just understand?
Outside, Matt handed Emilia a cigarette and offered a lighter. Emilia took it and stood there silently.

"EM, what's wrong?"

"Oh, nothing. I'm just feeling as if everything is just stuck and I can't get past this thing that is holding me back."

"I know what you need. Let's get out of here."

"And go where," she said dryly.

Matt smiled at her, pushing his dark hair behind his ear, blue eyes sparkling.

"It's a surprise."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments anyone? Is it too difficult to follow? Jump around to much?