My Name is Driftwood

Weddings and Proms

Emilia smoothed the front of her black strapless dress and stared at her reflection. Tim came up behind her in a tuxedo, his shaggy hair actually styled for once.

"This reminds me a little of prom," he grinned.

She just nodded and fixed a piece of hair. She couldn't help but think that prom had been better than this, marrying off her best friend, the man she loved more than anything.

"You look beautiful," Tim tried again. Emilia just ignored him, primping in the mirror.

"Have you seen Matt?" she asked quietly.

"No, but I've been meaning to address that."

Turning around sharply, she glared at him.

"Address what?"

"You and Matt. Do you really think that's a good idea?"

"You know what, yes. He give me butterflies, my heart beats faster when I'm around him. HE cares about me and HE listens to me!" she cried, wagging her finger in Tim's shocked face.

"EM, I care about you, you know that!"

"No, you don't. You only care about yourself, Tim. You are the most self-centered, narcissistic human being I know."

"God, EM. If you hate me so much, then why are you in my wedding?" he snapped.

"Because I love you! She hollered back. Realizing her slip, she continued. "You're my best friend, asshole. No matter what you do, I'm here. One of us has to be reliable."

"Calm down EM. I'm sorry," Tim whispered. "I get it now."

Emilia nodded sadly and hugged him. His arms tightened around her and the door opened.

"Am I interrupting something?"

Emilia quickly let go.

"Matt, no! Where have you been?"

"Waiting for you outside. Tim, can we have a minute."

Tim nodded and walked outside. Matt looked down at his girlfriend, her eyes were red.

"This isn't going to work," he said matter-of-factly. "You don't love me, you love Tim."

"No, I don't!" Emilia cried, "I love you."

"Well, you've got a funny way of showing it. I think we should call a spade a spade. You love Tim."

"Who are you to decide that?"

Matt smiled softly and put his hand on the back of her neck.

"I didn't, EM, you did. I know you and I can just tell. It's ok, really. Why don't you tell him before he makes the worst mistake of his life."

Emilia shook her head. Her tiny hands clung to Matt's. She looked at his dark hair which still fell into his big blue eyes. A sad smile danced on his face. She loved him, no matter what he thought.

"Matthew, I love you. I am not telling Tim anything because I love you. He's happy and so am I. You've questioned me from the beginning. Is this because you don't trust me?"

"I trust you, but I've also known you since you were 12 years old. Even if you do love me, I'm not the one you love the most. So, it has to end. I can't cling to something that was never mine to begin with."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! A new reader! Thanks hopefulrissa!