My Name is Driftwood

Jocks and Jerks

And so Tim and Emilia became inseparable. He taught her how to play the guitar, she taught him the obscure talent of playing the accordion. They hung out before and after school and at lunch. Emilia had easily fit into his group of outcasts. Though, they weren't as weird as everyone thought they were. They were just all into reading and music. Everything seemed normal and easy until the day someone noticed Emilia. It was their senior year of high school and a basketball player named Todd had taken interest in her. It had begun one day in their Civics class.

Emilia felt a poke from behind. She turned to see Todd Layton smirking at her. He was tall and blonde with sparkling blue eyes. Emilia blushed.

"Hey, Emilia, watcha doin?"

"Waiting for class to start," she said, giving him a, "you're an idiot look."

"Do you ever go to the basketball games?" he asked.

"Do I appear to be the type to go to basketball games?"

"Well, no. But, you'd like it.

"I bet you I wouldn't."

"I'll take that bet," he said triumphantly.

Things had turned and Emilia's head was whirling.

"Wait, what?"

"You come to the basketball game tonight. If you hate it, I'll leave you alone. But, if you like it, you'll come to dinner with me on Friday."

Emilia stared at him in shock.

"You want to go out with me?" she asked, shocked.

"Yeah, I do."

"Ummm, well ok."

"Good. I'll see you tonight then."

Emilia just nodded her head and murmured a, "yes."

After class, she went to where her friends were hanging out.

"EM, what cookin sister?" Tim cried.

Emilia sat down next to him and hugged him.

"Todd Layton just asked me out."

"Oh my god! Are you serious?," MacKenzie cried.

"You mean that jock?" Tim followed bitterly.

"Yeah."

"Well, did you say yes?" Katie asked.

"Not really. I agreed to go to a basketball game. If I have fun then I go out with him. If I hate it, he leaves me alone."

"I hope you hate it," Tim said snidely.

Emilia's head drooped. All of a sudden, Tim started back reeling. He hated the idea of EM going out with some dick, but he didn't want to hurt her feelings.

"Look, EM, you're smart and beautiful. But, you can do better. I just think it's strange that a jock would want to go out with you."

Everyone looked at Tim with wide eyes. Emilia's filled with tears. She just stood there staring at him.

"Tim, I know that was meant to be nice. But, it didn't come off that way. I know I'm not the typical type, but this is the first time any guy has ever shown interest in me. It's probably because I'm with you all the time. Do you want to go out with me?"

"No, that would be like I was making out with my sister. I just don't want you to get hurt."

"Don't worry so much about me, Tim. Why don't you go ask someone out. We spend way too much time together anyways."

"Ouch!" Tim said, obviously hurt.

Emilia grabbed his arm and pulled him aside.

"Tim, I love you. You are my very best friend and I don't know what I would do without you. I will never leave you behind for a guy, you will always be a part of my life. But, we're not together, are we? We're 17. Maybe it's time to start dating people."

He just put his arms around her tightly. Even though his eyes were closed, he could still see her dark hair and golden eyes. They were engrained in his memory. She wrapped her arms around his thin waist and enjoyed the familiar embrace. Tim was safe, and he would always be there, she knew that. He was afraid she'd forget. So, he just whispered into her hair.

"I love you too, EM. You silly bitch."