Status: Some aren't at all like they seem.

The Unforgettable

Coffee Alone

“Honey, please answer your phone. I’m losing my mind over here,” Chris sounds tired and like he’s been crying as he talks into the phone leaving yet another voicemail. “At least text me and tell that you’re safe and that you’ll be home soon.” There is the sound of him breathing for three seconds, he sniffles then says, “I love you.”

*Click*

I sigh and set the phone down on the bench seat I’m sitting on. I left the tainted lonely apartment at five this morning. I couldn’t stand looking over at him lying next to me in the bed, sleeping so comfortably like nothing was wrong. Like he hasn’t hurt me. His bare arm was wrapped around me loosely and it made me cringe. He probably lied in deep sleep like this with Leana after huffing and puffing over her having sweaty loud sex in some old, moldy, dingy motel room.

The thought of them together made me feel sick so I threw his arm off me, took a quick warm shower, got dressed and left. I didn’t take the car because it had tracking GPS for if the car was ever stolen so he could’ve tracked me down if I took the car. Also as much as I tried to tell myself I didn’t give two shits about him, I knew he had work today and would need the car.

I first walked down to the park; it was a nice day outside cool but not cold. There were hardly any people walking and people driving possibly commuting to work and that was a small amount. Around six, traffic picked up a little bit more and that’s when I called a taxi to take me to the IHOP. Once the cab picked me up at 6:20 is when the phone calls started.

And that meant voicemails:

6:25 “Gianna call me back, where are you?”

6:34 “Gianna baby, come home and we can talk about this.”

6:55 “I’m worried about you, come home.”

Then once I got seated he left the most recent voice message at 7.

“Good morning,” says the groggy voice that belongs to the old waitress. “How are you?”

I look up from the menu and give her the best smile I could muster.

“Can I start you off with a coffee or orange juice?”

“Uh,” I clear my throat. “Can I get a coffee? Also, I think I know what I want to order.”

She takes down my order in her notepad of two pancakes and a side order of turkey bacon. Once she leaves and returns with my black cup of coffee my phone rings again. I hit the top button that locks my phone to silence it and add four creams and four white sugar packets to my coffee.

I can’t think of what to do or say to him once I see him again, if I see him again for that matter. I’ve loved him for so long, I never even thought of being with someone else. I mean sure I’ve thought other guys were cute, but my thoughts never went any further than that. I have never wanted anyone else and I don’t understand how he could want anyone else either. . .

Well now that I think about it, maybe I’m not good enough. Maybe he just got tired of me, am I too routine? He said it was fun being with her, so I obviously bored him. We’ve lost our spark in the five years we’ve been married, it doesn’t even seem long at all and already he’s bored.

Tears sting my eyes and threaten to slip down, but I blink them away, sip my coffee and stare out of the window to let my mind get distracted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Any thoughts you guys want to share would really make me feel better about this story. Don't be shy! :)