Status: Some aren't at all like they seem.

The Unforgettable

I'm Done

“Ready?” Christoph asks through the bathroom door.

I haven’t told him about my days off, didn’t really see why it was necessary to share. It’s not like we’re tight on money, he makes way more than I do, at this point I just work to occupy my time. I turn the sink on full blast and pretend not to hear him.

“Hun, I’m going to be late. Are you ready?” he asks again.

I fling the door open and stare at him, I’m still in my night shirt and my hair’s a mess.

He takes in my appearance, “what are you doing? Why aren’t you ready? It’s 7:30 we need to be headed out the door.”

“Go then. I’m not going to work today.”

“Why? Are you sick?”

I roll my eyes and look into the mirror, “yeah.”

He stands there, I can feel his eyes boring into me. “Gianna, were you fired?”

“No, I wasn’t,” I say flatly.

“What the hell is going on with you?”

I look at him sharply, “nothing’s going on with me. What’s going on with you? Don’t you have to leave, aren’t you going to be late?”

“Well I have a bit more time now if you aren’t going in.”

I groan and snatch up my toothbrush a toothpaste.

“Gianna,” he says in a demanding tone.

“Christoph,” I say equally as demanding.

“Please talk to me, what is going on?”

I slam the toothbrush down on the sink, toothpaste I just squeezed onto the bristles now lies stuck on the inside of the sink and look at him.

“You really wanna know?” I ask narrowing my eyes. “I can’t fucking focus at work that’s what. I was told by my boss to take the rest of the week off because I can’t seem to complete my work accurately, I keep getting complaints about my performance and other people at my job have to finish up my workload and- and I just can’t deal with anything right now because all I can seem to think about is what a cheating bastard you are.”

He sighs, “Gianna, this isn’t fair. How long are you going to hold a grudge?”

“Fair?!” I’m livid. “Really, you want to talk about what’s fair? Are you kidding me?! I don’t know Chris, I guess I’ll hold a grudge for however long you were sneaking around behind my back. How long was that again?”

He ignores the question and tries to touch my arm but I snatch away.

“Don’t fucking touch me.”

“You let me touch you two weeks ago. What changed?” he asks smugly.

I launch the open tube of toothpaste at his chest, some blue paste splatters onto his white work shirt. He curses and huffs at me.

“I’m sorry Anna, I am so sorry that I hurt you, but we can’t move forward if you can’t stop holding this against me.”

“I hate you,” I say calmly. “How can you just parade around like everything’s fine, like you didn’t completely fuck up and ruin this marriage. Why don’t you just go to work and you can tell Leana all about what a terrible wife I am and you guys can go having sad brooding sex in the broom closet. I seriously have nothing to say to you. I am utterly disgusted with myself for even letting you touch me that night.”

“You don’t mean that,” he looks at me like I just stabbed in the heart.

I sigh, “just go.”

“I don’t even talk to her anymore, I told you I was done and I meant it.”

“Like how you meant it when you said you’d make it up to me, or that you were going to fight for this marriage or try to regain my trust? Right.” I snipe.

“What the hell do you want me to do?! Every time I try to talk to you I get short replies or nothing at all. All of our conversations are one sided! You’re constantly slamming fucking doors in my face, you don’t cook anymore, you barely let me touch you, we don’t even sleep in bed together anymore! You’re just constantly trying to get away from me, tell me what you want me to do!”

“I want you to leave,” I say calmly.

“Gianna. . .”

“Please, leave. . . You’re going to be late.”

He scoffs and goes through his drawer to find a new shirt, unbuttons the stained one and replaces it with the new one, glancing at the alarm clock, it’s 7:45.

As he finishes his last button and grabs his bag from the floor he turns to me again, “we’re finishing this conversation when I get back.”

I roll my eyes, “whatever.”

“I love you too hun,” he says and walks off and out of the house.