Robots Don't Have Feelings

You're Going to Reap What You Sow

"Merry Christmas!" Pete hollered. He jumped and straddled her.

"God, Petey, did you gain weight?" she cried, pushing him off her.

"God I hate it when you call me that. Come on, let's go open presents."

Zooey followed him as he clamored down the stairs like a small child. They opened each others gifts. In the end, there was a small pile of cd's, books, dvd's, and clothes next to both of them.

"Wait, Zooey," he said, "I have one more gift for you."

He pulled out a small black velvet box tied in a red bow. She eyed it with interest as he handed it to her.

"Come on! Open it!"

Zooey opened the box to reveal a key. She looked at him with a confused expression.

"Pete, what is this?"

"Zooey, move in with me."

She laughed until she saw the serious expression on his face.

"You're serious."

"Yes, this house is so lonely."

"But, that's something that umm...couples usually do."

"And best friends."

"Well, I'll have to think about it."

Pete pouted. "Come on, Zooey."

"Pete, this is a big deal."

"Fine."

He got up and stormed off to the bedroom, slamming the door behind him. She could hear him stomping around.

"Well," she thought, "If I moved in here, I'd have more space. And, it might keep him from bringing girls home. Am I just kidding myself?"

She moved into the kitchen and started preparing dinner. Pete stayed up in the room, but the stomping had stopped. Soon, she heard the door open, Patrick and Anna came into the kitchen.

"God, it smells good in here," Patrick remarked. "Where's Pete?"

"Upstairs. It's probably good you're here, he's kind of in a mood."

Patrick smiled and started heading upstairs.

"In a mood, on Christmas?" Anna laughed.

"He's mad at me."

"Why?"

"Anna, he asked me to move in here."

"What? You two aren't together, are you?"

"Not that I know of, but he got all crazy when I told him I needed to think about it. Could you imagine the two of us? We could combine our fucking drugs for an interesting candy dish."

"Hey, it's free rent, and I'm sure he'd let you decorate," she said with a grin. "Maybe it would be good for both of you. Maybe you wouldn't even need the candy dish."

"Or, we'll drive each other crazy."

The door opened again and Andy, Joe, and Sarah, his girlfriend walked in.

"Hey guys, what's up?" Andy said with a grin.

"Hey!" Joe and Sarah echoed.

"Wow, you and Pete made this place look great for today. Hey, wait a second..." Andy said.

Zooey started snickering as Patrick and Pete came down the stairs. Pete saw Andy holding the turkey stocking.

"Haha, Zooey," he said, smiling and shaking his head.

"Wait, no, that isn't a turkey is it?" Patrick said amusedly.

"Yeah," Pete forced out between laughs, "It is."

Andy tackled Zooey to the floor.

"You think that's funny, huh?" he said tickling her.

"Yes, I do!" she cried, laughing hysterically. "Andy! Stop!"

"No, I like it here," he said from on top of her. He leaned over and threatened to spit on her.

"Eww, Andy! Don't! That's totally gross."

She managed to flip him over and rolled on top of him.

"Just so you know, jerk, everything with the exception of the turkey and the gravy are vegan, just for you."

He sat up and hugged her so she was sitting on his lap with her legs wrapped around him.

"I love you Zooey. What would I do without you?"

"Probably starve today."

Zooey heard stomping and turned around to see Pete stomping up the stairs. She rolled her eyes and sighed.

"If you'll excuse me, I better go talk to Peter."

Patrick caught her elbow as she started to go up the stairs.

"Are you going to move in here?"

"What do you think about it?"

"Hey, it can either make or break the two of you. Honestly, it would probably be good for both of you."

Zooey nodded and went upstairs. She opened the door to see Pete popping a pill.

"Are you ok?"

"Yes." He said shortly.

"No, you're not. What's wrong?"

"God, it's so stupid!" he said with a scowl.

"What?"

"I hate watching you and Andy! It bothers me."

"But, why?" Zooey replied, obviously confused.

"Because that's how you are with me. I thought that things were special between us and when I see you with him...Ahhh!" he yelled, kicking at a pair of dirty jeans.

She reached out and put her hand on his shoulder.

"Pete, our friendship is special. You are my closest friend and you understand me. Andy is just fun, but he's my friend too. It is totally different with you. There are moments we have that I would never share with anyone else."

"What? And I'm not fun?"

"You are the most fun of all!"

He threw his arms around her and hugged her.

"Babe, this is Christmas, you're supposed to be having a great day," she begged.

"Then, make it great for me?"

"Ok, Pete, against my better judgment, I'll move in with you."

He tightened his grip.

"Now that's what I've been waiting to hear."

"Just remember, what we have is special."

"I know."