Bruises in Miniature Form

Taking action

I knew he was pissed by the looks he was sending me, but I did my best to ignore it as I threw myself onto the bed to stretch my legs from the long drive. My ass hurt like I had just ridden a horse for six hours straight and my tailbone ached with remorse.
Max stood stone still by the door, afraid that his parents were going to come back up to have another talk with us. Mr Green had looked more than furious when we showed up, and it was easily the first time I had ever seen him show a proper emotion besides that smug exterior he constantly wore.
His wife had sent us disapproving looks but offered us something to eat before hiding away in the kitchen. That was nearly three hours ago and I was waiting for the pipe to burst, for Max to charge down the stairs and out the front door or to yell at me until his face was sore.
Yet his face crumpled when I sat up to look at him again, he was like a young boy lost in the mall, crying for his parents. I could see why Rick was so protective over him, why I was so protective over him.

“You really did this didn’t you?” He asked quietly, in a voice that I’d never heard from him before.
“I did” I nodded solemnly.
He sucked in the largest breath he could before looking me dead in the eyes, “No one has ever made me face my parents before... Rick tried, and he tried so hard... but they... they don’t want me Newton, can’t you understand that?”
“Confront them then, Max. Prove that statement true, because I think it’s a lie.”

I was firm in my belief and watched his shoulders shake as an invisible weight crushed his ego. I’d officially found the secret behind everything; Max was just another abandoned boy in need of someone to love him. Whether or not that love came from me, I knew he needed to find it himself and if that required a little pushing on my part, then that would be what I’d do, no matter the consequences.
And don’t think I haven’t thought of those consequences; I considered every single option. He could blow up on me and I’d lose him forever, he could make my life a living hell once more, or he could go on some rampage like Godzilla. Max would cry and never forgive me for my actions, he could finally address the issue with his parents, maybe he’d finally serve them those adoption papers, or maybe he’d tear them up.
Out of everything he could do though, I would accept whatever reaction with open arms because in true Max fashion, the boy could always surprise me.

Acting like a man on a mission he turned on his heel and exited the room, calling his parents loudly. I was hesitant to leave the room, fearful that he may not need me, yet satisfied that he could handle himself until his voice was calling me down. I rushed down to the living room where Max stood in the middle of the room, staring his father down with his mother drying her hands on a dish towel in the doorway.

“What is it?” His father asked when I was completely in the room, eyes darting between us, “She is not pregnant is she?”
Max pursed his lips and glared the older man down, “No she’s not. I want to talk to you both”
“About?” His mother squeaked, eyes darting as if she felt the tension rolling around the room.
“Why were you never there?” he started, now looking to his mother with a need I could never describe in his eyes. “Why the hell did you never show to one of my parent teacher meetings, or my baseball games? Why did you push me off to Rick constantly? Why are you constantly trying to get away from me?”
“Oh Max, you know that’s not true,” His mother started before her son cut her off.
“It is true! Every time you come home and see me, you start making plans to leave; don’t think I never noticed those plan tickets to made every year on my birthday. You never celebrated anything with me; you wouldn’t even send me a card like you do for your employees!”
Mr Green’s brow furrowed as he stared his son down, letting the young boy’s emotions and words spill out like a grenade fire.

“The longest you have ever spent home was this week, and why? Because Rick begged you, BEGGED YOU, not to leave!”
My heart clenched as I stared shamelessly at Max, watching his heartbreak come undone. “I came home with A’s, and trophies and everything you ever wanted and what did you say to me?”
“Not good enough,” His father finished, staring at his sons eyes with regret.
Max’s bottom lip trembled as he looked at his father, “Why am I not good enough?”
“Oh baby you are,” Mrs Green whispered, now stepping forward to encircle her sons shoulders. “Max, we weren’t good parents, and we’ve done things we aren’t proud of... but you shouldn’t have to suffer for our mistakes”

Max pushed back from his mother and rubbed at his eyes, “Then accept Newton and that she’s in my life. Stop telling me I can do better, stop leaving every time you come home, stop making up trips to just get away!”
“You may not understand this, Max,” His father seethed, “But our world does not revolve around you”
“Donald!” Mrs Green shouted, “You stop right there! Of all the things you’ve said to our son, enough is enough. Stop acting like your father!”
Furious the man jumped from his chair and strode past his wife, chin held high and back set straight. Max ducked his head down and I stepped forward to wrap my own arms around his middle, looking up into his watery eyes.
“They love you Max” I whispered, “No matter how much you were left alone, they love you”
His mother softly patted my shoulder and I pulled regretfully away, stopping only when Max gripped my arms and pulled me back. “So long as you love me too”
Nodding I grinned against his skin, letting my emotions overwhelm me and his mother to grip us both in a tight squeeze. Max might not have been finished, but he had certainly said all he could.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, dramatic and nearly the end. I think I just had about the same horrible day as Max had.
Tomorrow I will most likely post the last chapter to this story, which will tie everything up mentioned and unmentioned here. :]

Sorry for any errors, I didn't feel like going over it much tonight.