Bruises in Miniature Form

Omar at the door

I sat on one of the pink cushions that the hotel offered with legs crossed up underneath my weight, my toes already numb and working up the rest of my legs.
Daryl sat in front of me on the couch with a pair of cards in his hands, eyes set on them with his tongue sticking out at the side.
His long face looked slightly maniacal this morning as he plucked two cards from his hand and placed them down on the pile before picking up another two from the second pile.
Glancing down at my cards I huffed lightly and pulled a useless three and six of diamonds and spades out to replace with another two cards.
My father sat across from us in their hotel room writing things down every five seconds as someone chatted at him through a handless cell phone.

“How about we play go fish?” Daryl finally relented giving me a huge cheesy grin when I began laughing.
“I offered that before but you said no”
“Yeah that was before I was losing” He winked at me.
“Come on Clark, off the phone, come play with your daughter” Daryl teased my father when he finally got off the phone.
My father put on a happy face and walked over to sit on the opposite couch, “Sounds perfect to me, what game are we playing?”
“Go fish!” Daryl shouted as I took his cards and began shuffling the deck.
Nodding my father took the cards I handed him and looked through, “So kiddo who’s that Max kid?”
“OH, he’s the neighbour’s kid, always hanging around. Rick treats him like his own kid. If you ask me, he’s a prick”
Daryl made an ‘ooh’ noise and nudged my shoulder lightly, “Does our little Newton have a crush?”
Gagging I replied with a firm no, “He’s been a jerk to me since the first moment we met”
This time my father made the ‘ooh’ noise and I vowed to stop letting them hang out so much, “Guess he has a crush on you”
“Hardly, he’s just a jerk. Maybe you two could beat him up!?”

The faces they gave me made my face drop; of course they wouldn’t beat of up Max without any real incentive.
Giggling under my breath I continued our game, passing the card requested of me and stealing glances at my father’s cards whenever he took a sip of water.
A knock at the door sounded not even ten minutes later bringing our heads up from our game.
Daryl answered the door with a smile but blocked our view of whomever it was, talking in a hushed whisper.
Sneaking a not so subtle glance over his shoulder at us he laughed lightly and resumed talking.
I shared a curious look with my father who shrugged and gave me a slight nudge to check out who it was, his own face set in a curious manner that was not unlike my own.
Moving closer to the door I took notice on how Daryl would keep it closed a bit more and block the way, who the hell was he hiding?

“Right well it seems our time together has drawn to a close” Daryl grinned moving away from the door to reveal a wide grinning black haired boy.
“Uhh... who’s this Daryl?”
Daryl shared a small smile with the male who stood to be almost my father’s height.
I noticed some blonde in his hair, his face round and resembling someone I just couldn’t put my finger on.
He quickly held his hand out to shake mine, “Names Omar, I’m Daryl’s godson and you must be Newton, Max’s newest buddy”

Godson. Newest Buddy. Max. Daryl. These five words do not mix together in one sentence so fluently.