The Night Life

Chapter 2

Selena walked slowly towards the two vampire men, avoiding Kristopher’s eyes when she began to speak.
“Mason, I told you I’d call when I was ready.” Her voice was soft, like she wanted to whisper but knew it wouldn’t do any good.
Mason’s smile stayed glued as he looked between Selena and Kristopher, “I know darling, but I just got so impatient. I mean I figured you of all people would know something about…impatience, when you really want something.”
Selena’s blood began to boil, she felt her fists clenching. “That is QUITE enough Mason.”
Kristopher turned to face Selena, crossing his arms. “Darling?” his gaze met the floor.
She tried not to flinch at the accusation and disappointment in his voice.
“It’s not what you think Kris! I promise!” Selena said, desperately trying to get Kristopher to look at her.
He continued to stare at the floor for another moment before looking up and at Selena and then Mason, giving him a venomous smile and dipping his head. With that, he disappeared through the door and into the night.
Mason looked over his shoulder letting out a chuckle before stepping inside. Selena groaned and slammed the door behind Mason.
“Geesh! What’s up your ass?” he said giving Selena’s butt a slight pinch.
She let out a growl as she spun around and punched his chest, sending him down the hall towards the guest bedroom.
“You son of a BITCH!” She hissed, marching into the living room.
Mason was already on his feet and walking after her, “What the HELL was that for?”
“Oh don’t even! ONE: I was supposed to call you when I was ready. TWO: I know for a damn FACT that you smelled Kristopher from two houses down, and THREE: how DARE you act like that towards him.” Selena was beyond enraged as she gripped the arm of her couch; Mason came up behind her and began playing with her hair.
“Come on Selena, I was only joking…even if it was the truth.” He laughed softly.
A growl rose in Selena’s throat, “Get. Your. Hands. Off. Of. Me”
Mason sighed, dropping his hands, Selena relaxed for a moment until she felt his lips on her neck.
At that she stood up and turned to glare at him. “What the HELL!?”
Mason smirked. “You said to get my HANDS off.”
Selena had so many things to say and do to him, but now wasn’t the time. She inhaled deeply and calmed herself down.
“Do you have what I asked you to bring?”
Mason’s left hand fell to his side where his “school-bag” hung. Selena reached out her hand, gesturing for him to hand the bag over.
He lifted the strap up over his head and tossed it to her. She hissed slightly, “Hey! Be gentle.”
Mason rolled his eyes, and Selena open up the bag, smiling at its contents.
Looking up she smiled, “Thank you Mason.”
He smiled back, “Now where is my payment?”
“Follow me.”
Selena walked out of the living room and down the hall she had thrown Mason in earlier, this hall led to the guest bedroom, bathroom, and then the place she was headed, her library/office.
Mason followed her quietly, she felt his eyes on her but she continued with her head up and shoulders back. She added a little extra hip-swing in her walk for good measure.
Once in her library she walked over to her desk, opening the top drawer and pulling out an envelope which held Mason’s check.
She held it out and he took it swiftly, looking it over and holding it up to the light to make sure everything was how it should be.
“What you don’t trust me?” Selena smiled, though she already knew his answer she still liked hearing it.
“No. No I don’t. Neither should those humans that call you their ‘friend’. Little do they know? They are no more than pets to you. They can’t do the things another vampire is capable of, a vampire like me.” Mason smiled, stepping closer to Selena’s desk, she was already leaning over slightly, and he did the same, creating a very small negative space between their lips.
Selena smiled back, “Oh Mason,” she batted her eyes, making her voice soft and needy.
“Yes my love?” he half way closed his eyes, leaning a little further.
Selena copied his actions stopping herself right before their lips met, “Just because I don’t have you on a lease doesn’t mean you are any less of a pet.”
Mason’s confident smile faltered and Selena stood up straight, laughing. “For your information they are my friends, and while they can run around and hunt with me, they make up for it by doing things vampires cant. That doesn’t make them any less superior to me. Now go do whatever it is you do. I’m sure Piper is wondering where you are.”
Cleary agitated, Mason gave a smile and with that he was gone.
Selena sighed, still proud of her trickster ways, and sat down in her large cushioned chair. She set the bag that Mason had brought her down on the desk and opened it again this time pulling out the large, overflowing manila folder that was inside.
The top page in the file was the picture of a man with dark features, he had thick dark brown hair, and perfect eyebrows of the same color that arched over his dark grey~blue eyes.
He had the facial bone structure of a male model, but there was a certain ruggedness about his face that gave him an edge. His eyes told a story, an old one, and definitely not a very nice one.
Selena knew that she knew him, but she couldn’t place him anywhere in her memory. Was he a friend or an enemy? His current name was Bastian Green. However he had almost a dozen different identities, none of them of course, rang a bell in Selena’s mind. This bothered her, and she needed to know the truth.
Holding the picture in one hand she stared into his eyes.

“Who are you really?”