It's Over When It's Over

The Idiot Who Shot Daryl

I screamed at the top of my lungs. Crying “NO, NO!” I ran to them. T-dog and Glenn held me back as Rick and Shane picked up Daryl. Daryl mumbled something and relief came over me when I knew he was still alive. Andrea and Dale ran towards us. I had a clue as to who shot Daryl. I turned to Andrea tears running down my face. “Did you do this?” I yelled at her. She looked at me terrified repeating sorry to both Daryl and I. I was beyond mad at her. The way she has treated Daryl and I was unacceptable but this drew the line. I pushed her back and yelled at her to stay away from us. Dale hugged me as we all continued to walk back to camp. My eyes were to watery to really look at what happened to Daryl, but Rick said Andrea just grazed him. Glenn said something about Daryl wearing ears, but Rick didn’t want to put much thought into that. Then T-Dog spoke asking if this was Sophia’s. We all turned and saw him holding a doll. No one answered. We all ran to Hershel’s house. Hershel said I wasn’t stable enough to help stitch up Daryl. So I went and sat outside, trying to relax myself.
“I’m so sorry.” Andrea said. I didn’t bother to look up at her. “I know I have been rude to both you and Daryl since Atlanta and I can’t be sorrier. When I saw Daryl I didn’t know it was him. I just want to protect the group. I understand if you won’t forgive me but I hope we can start out fresh.” I sat there quietly thinking about whether or not I should forgive her. I have never heard her apologize before and from the tone of her voice it was sensor.
“Alright.” I said over my cry, still looking down.
“Really?” Andrea asked. I nodded and she then hugged me. I was going to go off the saying I can forgive but not forget with her. A while later Hershel told me that Daryl went and took a bath so I thought I’d leave him to do his own thing and I’d check on him later so I went to go help the women cook dinner to help my mind get off things.
“Wish you were here when we started cooking earlier. We can get a taste of that good food Jack and Daryl talk about.” Lori said trying to make me smile which it did.
“Yeah well there is always next time.” I smiled. I started cutting up some carrots then we all heard a thump and Daryl yell "damnit". I ran upstairs to the bathroom to check on him. He had fallen in the bath. “Are you okay?”
“Yeah. I just turned and the pain in my side got to me.” He grunted, trying to stand up. I looked at his head and I could tell he had hit his stitches on the side of the tub from the blood dripping down everywhere.
“No just sit there.” Daryl lowered himself. I grabbed a rag and started to pat his head. “Deja Vu.” I laughed.
“What are you talkin about?”
“After the fight at the bar when went to my house and I started to pat your bloody head like I am doing now.” I explained. Daryl laughed then stopped grabbing at his side. We sat there quietly as I patted his head. “Everyone appreciates everything you are doing for that little girl.” Daryl didn’t reply. He looked at me for a second before looking away. I wonder why Daryl was going through all this trouble for her. I love the fact that he is looking for her but I’d never thought he’d be the one to go out like this. I see Rick or Shane, just because they are always trying to be Mr. Leader and boss. “Dinner should be ready now.”
“Go get it for us?” He mumbled standing up and getting out of the tub. I nodded and left him to get ready. Walking down the hall, Lori bumped into me.
“How’s Daryl?” She asked.
“He’s good. Hit his head on the tub and spread his stitches on his side, but he’ll be alright.” Lori nodded and smiled. She took me downstairs to get dinner. When we walked into the dining room everyone was already eating. Carol stood up and walked to me.
“Would you mind if I brought you and Daryl’s dinner to him. I just want a moment to thank him for all the trouble he has gone through to look for my daughter.” I nodded with a smile. She smiled back and went upstairs with our plates. I went to Daniel to talk to him so Carol could have her time.
I kissed Daniel on this head, “Haven’t seen you all day!”
“Are you and Uncle Daryl fighting?” He asked with a full mouth of food.
“Um no. Just had a little argument but we’re better now. How do you know about that?” I whispered.
“I saw that he was mad at you this morning."
"Well, you don’t got to worry about that stuff. Okay?”
"Okay.” Daniel mumbled. Everyone had their eyes on their plates looking up at me for only a second. It was a pity look. I brushed it off though.
“Do I got to worry about it though?” Jack asked.
I pushed his head, “No you don’t.” Hershel asked if I was going to join everyone but I told him no. Carol came down a while later so I went back upstairs. I knocked on the door and Daryl grunted ‘what?’ “It’s me.” Daryl looked over at me and laid back down. “You’re not going to eat?”
“I’m fine.” I was okay too, so I laid down next to Daryl. He was all cuddled up under the sheets. I sat up against the head board as Daryl moved his way closer to me laying his by my side. He was tired. “Go hang out with Daniel and Jack. I'll be fine by myself.”
“You sure?”
“Yeah. Be with them while we’re here.” I wasn’t sure what Daryl meant by that? I kissed him above the graze, got up and got my plate. I wanted to stay with him but I didn't want to start another argument. I walked down stairs and everyone was still eating. It was an awkward dinner.
“Had a change of heart, Lora?” Shane asked.
“Yes I did.” I smiled. There was no room left at the dining table so I sat with the kids aka Glenn, Maggie, Beth, and Jimmy.
"No here, Daniel trade places with auntie, Lora." Jack said. Daniel got up and we traded places. I sat between Jack and Shane. It was quite. Awkwardly quite. Glenn tried to kill the silence by asking everyone if anyone knew how to play the guitar. I looked at Jack because he knows how but before he could say he knew Patricia spoke up saying ‘Otis did.’ Hershel pointed out that he was really good at playing the guitar.
After dinner I helped bring in all the dishes. Maggie and Patricia turned down my offer to help clean them. Hershel kindly told me that he’d like his bedroom back so I went upstairs to get Daryl.
“Um Hershel would like it if we went back to the tent.” I explained. Daryl grunted as he got up grabbing at his side. I helped him put on his flannel so he wouldn’t have to stretch his arms putting it on with his side all messed up. We got up and we made our way to our tent. Daryl laid down as Jack walked into the tent.
“Nice work today, covering most of the land.” Jack told Daryl.
“Yeah well let’s trade places, huh?” Daryl teased.
Jack slightly laughed. I kiss him on the cheek and wished him a good night. I then laid beside Daryl trying to give him enough room so he’d be comfortable.
“Don’t have to lay so far away.” Daryl mumbled with his eyes shut. I wasn’t going to question him because I thought it was cute, him wanting me to be closer to him even tho he is all beat up, so I scooted closer to him, resting my head on his elbow.
___
The next morning everyone was just doing some chorus. I put Daryl to bed rest so he couldn’t help out. I went to hang out with Dale and watch Daniel and Carl play with the chickens from afar.
“Do you have any hobbies?” Dale asked me.
“Drawing. I miss it. It relaxed me yet angered me when I cant get the shading right or something.” I laughed. “Why do you ask?”
“I don’t know. I feel like you can tell a lot from a person from what they’re good at.”
“What’s your hobbies?” I asked.
“Fishing.” He said staring out into the trees.
“Of course it is.” I laughed, “It explains you hat.” Lori then called for Dale, something about how Carl took a gun. I walked away to give them their space and went off to hang out with Daniel and Jack.
“The guys are setting up gun practice. You should come with. Didn’t dad make you teach people how to shoot?”
“Yeah. Well after they’re done talkin I’ll offer my help.” I said. Daniel then ran up to me yelling “tag” so I started to chase him to tag him back. I let him get away and run around a bit as I went back to Jack, “But Jack you need to know this.”
“What is it?” He said putting his hand on my shoulder, looking worried.
I slapped him in the face, “TAG YOUR IT!” I ran off as fast as I could as I watched Daniel laugh at what I did. We played around for a while more until Rick called everyone over to go to gun practice. I told Jack that I wanted Daniel to learn. Carl was going to learn and it’d be only fair for them both. We got to the fence and set up cans and bottles to shot. Rick handed me two guns, one for me and one for Daniel. Jack went off to help Beth and Patricia. I began to help Carl and Daniel.
“Alrighty boys so you’re going to hold it with both hands. Never point it at yourself or others who aren’t your target.” I kneeled down so I can be at their eye level. “To make aiming easier put one hand on the handle and the other on the bottom.” I checked their aiming and they both were pretty fast learners. Their hands were steady so I believed they were ready. I took off the safety button and told them to watch me. I did everything I told them to do and shot the can. “Now you’re turn. Carl you got the bottle, Daniel you got the can.” They both started shooting, missing; hitting the fence. Carl was close. All he had to do was aim higher. I grabbed his arms moving them up just a bit. “Now try.” He pulled the trigger and shot the bottle. He looked at me and smiled then to Rick telling him he got it. “Carl has the hang of it.” I said.
“So does Daniel.” Rick said. I turned and saw that Daniel had shot the can. I hugged him congratulating him on making it. “Thank you, Lora. You’ve been a lot of help to my family.”
“No problem, Rick.” I smiled. Rick gave me a tight side hug quickly kissing me on the forehead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yo yo yo got 25 subscribers. Hella! Thank you so much to all of you!! :) Please comment, subscribe, and recommend. I want y'all to know that I know my writing sucks but the fact that you all enjoy it makes me feel better about it. You are all awesome! Thank you!