Status: Semi-active. Update when I can...

Send Me Your Amnesty

Part Two: 1994 (Chapter 4)

Letter to Billie Joe from Felicity---June 1995

Dear Billie Joe,

I’m so glad everything went smoothly, and I’m sorry for your loss. That must have been awful. My parents divorced when I was a senior in high school. I know that’s not as hard as losing a parent when you’re that young, but my brother and I were broken. That’s why I moved so far away to go to college. I had already been accepted to Stanford, but I had not made my final decision; when the time came to choose a college, I chose somewhere far, far away.

Anyway, on a little lighter note, my name, Felicity. It means happiness. I am the first born, followed by my brother three years later. Anyway my parents tried many times to conceive on their own, and after many tries, they went to a specialist to get help. Well the specialist told them they could never have kids on their own… it was nothing anyone could control, it was something my mother was born with. Anyway, they turned to adoption and they chose me. I was adopted from China at six months of age. I got the name Felicity because my parents were overwhelmed with joy when they finally had a child they could call their own. As you can probably guess, my brother is also adopted, he was adopted from Spain. His name is Karson (Karsh)—named after mine and his grandfather (died of cancer before he was born)—and I swear to God, his birthday is the same as yours… February 17, 1972. P.S. He likes Green Day.

Oh, just so you know my mom is the only one who knows who the father is. (My father is out of the picture and my mom never remarried.) I swear my brother doesn’t know a thing, and I want it to stay that way for a while. I want his opinion of you to stay unbiased. All he knows is that it’s some punk in California. He wanted to murder the father when he found out I was pregnant. I tried very hard to defend the father, you (but we didn’t know it was you at the time), and tell him that it was all my fault, and that you should leave the father alone. When Amnesty was born, Karsh took back everything he said. He loves Amnesty to death. Maybe I’ll tell him later, like when Amnesty is old enough to know.

Look at me, pouring my life story to you…

I guess I should give you an update on Amnesty. She’s doing well; she’s beginning to crawl and she’s getting good, she’s a speedy little thing. I think she’ll be walking in no time. She’s very talkative, she likes to yell and scream. I think my favorite thing to do with her is fold dryer-fresh laundry. Amnesty watches as I pull the clothes out into the basket and then she follows me into the living room. She starts pulling things out and then I know she wants to be put in the basket. She loves warm clean clothes. She laughs and sometimes screams and grabs a piece of clothing and puts it in her mouth. I have to pull it away from her before she drools all over the clean clothes.
I leave you with that happy note.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Felicity Collins

* * * * *

Letter to Felicity from Billie Joe—August 1995

Dear Felicity,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY 1st BIRTHDAY AMNESTY PERIDOT COLLINS!

Felicity, please tell her that I said happy birthday, I know she won’t understand, literally, she can’t talk, and that’s why I want you to say it to her. She needs to hear it at least once, whether she understands English or not.

I go back on tour at the end of the month; I’ll be in Norway on her actual birthday, so I’ll be sending happy thoughts to her.

I like that everyone in your family has deep meaning to their name. Mine, Billie Joe---hell I have no idea if my name has any meaning. My mom is from Oklahoma, if that tells you anything. While we’re telling each other our family history, I’m the youngest of six kids. My oldest brother, David, is 23 years older than I. Then Alan, Marci, Hollie, Anna, and then myself.

I’m sorry your parents divorced… that really does suck. And after so long…. I know that’s really hard to deal with at that age.

So about this brother you have… he was born on the same day as I was? You’ve got be shitting me!? Really?! Karson was born on February 17, 1972?! AND he’s a Green Day fan?! Holy Shit. What are the odds? What are the odds that your brother, adopted from Spain, was born the same day as I was and is a fan of Green Day? Jeez! I just find that unbelievable. Speaking of being a fan, are you a fan? I know you were—or at least I think you were—I assumed since you came to Gilman and watched up perform…You said you have Dookie, on vinyl, which is even cooler—but have you stopped being a fan since, you know, what happened? I wouldn’t blame you if you’re not a fan anymore…But if you are, are you gonna push it on Amnesty to be a fan? You know, let her get to know her father without getting to know her father…just let me know…

Anyway, Joey is about six months old. He’s doing well. He’s got a full head of hair, no more bald spots. He’s a great napper, I play my guitar and sing to him a lot. That’s my favorite thing to do with him because it’s the only thing that comes natural. I think it’s very cute the way you spend quality time with Amnesty. Me with my guitar and you with your laundry.

Not much else is happening, I’m preparing to go back out into the world again. It will be hard leaving Adrienne with Joey alone, but I think it will be OK. I’ll visit often and she may come along. Who knows…

Thanks for keeping me updated,
Billie Joe Armstrong