Status: Semi-active. Update when I can...

Send Me Your Amnesty

Part Two: 1994 (Chapter 5)

Letter to Billie Joe from Felicity---September 1995

Dear Billie Joe,

I would like you to know that I did in fact TELL Amnesty you wished her a happy birthday. I made her chocolate cupcakes and she was in awe, her face was like, “What is this strange brown fluff? It’s delicious!” I think only about a fourth of it actually ended up in her stomach, the rest ended up on the floor, on her highchair, or on her face. It was just me and her and my mom. Karsh came over for a little while before he went to work.

Wow, five older siblings. That had to be tough. Sometimes I couldn’t even handle one little brother.

Yes, I swear, honest to God. Karsh was born on February 17, 1972.

Honestly, Billie, I’m not much a fan anymore. I’m not obsessed, and I never truly was. I just thought you guys were talented kids and I liked your style of music. People who have musically enhanced senses have always fascinated me. I love watching live bands perform. I hung out at Gilman a lot, I just wanted to hear some of the upcoming talent. I will admit to liking you. I told you I have Dookie on vinyl. Now, I just admire from afar. I won’t stop listening to you, and I’ll be sure to follow your career, but I won’t push Amnesty on anything. I’m going to let her discover you on her own. Hey, Karsh is in love with your music, maybe he will try to convert Amnesty. But I certainly won’t do anything to promote you guys in the house. Sorry, but I don’t want her asking a question like, “Why do you like Green Day so much?” or “Why do you want me to listen to them?” If she discovers Green Day on her own, then she can form her own unbiased opinion of you guys negative or positive. If she likes them, then great—her first meeting with you will be a hoot—be prepared for girlish shrieking, just in case she becomes a freakishly-obsessive fan (whom I love). What I will push on Amnesty is the importance of live performance. It’s something special. I’ll push the artists I like who write and perform their own songs.

Hope everything is going well on tour.

Talk to you soon,
Felicity Collins

P.S. I decided you deserve a first year picture. Here is Amnesty on her first birthday.

* * * * *

Letter toFelicity from Billie Joe---October 1995

Dear Felicity,

God, she’s beautiful. Amnesty has beautiful black hair and big brown eyes. You’re making this really hard not drop what I’m doing and just come see her. But I simply can’t do that. Adrienne still doesn’t know and neither do my band mates. I’m still the only one who knows. (I’ve practiced trying to tell someone on my dog…I hope that’s OK. I promise he can keep a secret.)

Touring is going well; I’m back home for a month of being over in Europe touring. Dookie really hit it big. There are some really crazy fans out there.

Speaking of fans, I understand your situation. I’m kind of in the same boat. I’m not going to push my music on Joey. Of course, he’ll be around it so often, he’ll probably get bored with it. I’ll let him listen to whatever he likes. I agree with your music philosophy. There is something special about live music. I know from experience. I play like it’s the last show I’m ever going to play. I also love watching live bands perform. It takes a special talent to write and perform your own music, and to do it with confidence is something else. I appreciate that you like artists like me. You’re not just in it because I’m so damn good looking… You’re in it because you actually listen to the music and like watching the magic of a guitar, bass, and drums come together on stage. Thank you, we need more people like you out there.

In 18 years, I’ll be prepared for anything. I’ll be prepared for a crazed-fan for a daughter. I’ll be prepared for a daughter who doesn’t know who the fuck I am. Hell, I’ll be prepared for a daughter who hates me. (Hopefully, that third option will never happen.) I hope Karsh kind of pushes her a little, if you’re not going to. At least if Karsh tells her to listen to Dookie and she gives it a negative or positive review, then at least she will know who I am…kind of. I’m optimistic.

Keep me posted,
Billie Joe Armstrong

* * * * *

Letter to Billie Joe from Felicity---November 1995

Dear Billie Joe,

Not funny. You better keep your distance mister…Sure…you can tell your dog.

I’m glad you have the same philosophy as I have, as you are so humble about it… We have something else in common besides sharing a kid. See? I can joke too… Of course when the time draws near, I’ll push a little bit, or “accidently” leave my Dookie vinyl laying in plain sight, so she’ll have to ask or steal it and play it. Don’t worry, I’ll keep you updated if Karsh turns her into a fan or if she discovers you on her own.

I’ve had a chance to listen to “Insomniac.” Karsh insisted that I borrow his vinyl copy. Nice grungy punk sound to it. You mad at the world when you wrote these songs? I think my favorite song is “Brain Stew” It’s just a messed up song. I like it. I think you and I are a little brain stewed, if you know what I mean…

Have a happy holiday,
Felicity Collins