Evermoure

The Dark Spire

A cold breeze crawled over Enphyra's bare arms and shoulders, the shudder of a chill startling her awake. She groaned softly, squinting as she tugged the blankets over her head to block out the cold and the sunlight. Nuzzling deeper into her sheets, she lazily tried to recall the memory of returning to her chamber. After a puzzling few seconds, the vague memory of Amoreus carrying her after she fell asleep against him in the gardens floated across her mind. She gave a contented sigh as she thought of the strict, yet sweet Common Elf. Her fiance.

The frigid early-spring breeze persisted even through her blankets. Shivering, she crawled out of her canopy bed to close the glass doors to the balcony. Standing before the doors in her nightgown, Enphyra hugged her arms as she gazed out across the hills beyond the castle town. Gentle plumes of fog were receding in the streaming sun, crawling and swirling between the bases of green hills.

Enphyra rubbed her hands against her upper arms as she shifted her weight to the outside edges of her bare feet and back, her gaze also shifting to the happenings of the early morning castle town. Merchants were setting up their shops in the streets, preparing for the bustle that was soon to arrive as the morning continued. Small groups of well rested and energetic children were already about, playing and romping with dogs through the streets.

"My lady?" a voice called softly from behind Enphyra. Still hugging her arms, she turned in acknowledgement to address the Common Elf maid.

"I've prepared your bath. Would you like me to set out clothes for the day?" the maid asked, her tone humble and her hands folded politely against her apron. Enphyra gave a tired smile.

"Thank you, Jeanette. I will choose my own clothing after the bath." The servant nodded, and left her to her room. Enphyra's bare feet made soft tapping sounds as she padded across the bedroom to her personal bathhouse. A large tub of steaming hot water was prepared, as the maidservant had said. Her skin tingled at the sight of the steam, the smell of the soaps, and the white bubbles that adorned the surface. She shrugged out of her nightgown before testing the water gingerly with a toe. Satisfied, she sunk into the scalding, bubbly water with a sigh of pleasure. After washing, she lingered in the bath until the water grew cold.

Wrapped in a robe, Enphyra stood analyzing herself in the full-length mirror of the bathhouse. Her own emerald eyes gazed back at her, bright and alert. Her skin was slightly flushed, but still almost the color of ivory. Drying into soft waves, her long white hair cascaded over her shoulders. Her pale complexion and platinum-colored hair were the most obvious indication of her race, the next being her ears. All Common Elves had pointed, elongated ears, the tips stretching not-quite beyond their heads. Lae Elf ears were only pointed just at the tip.

After towl-drying her hair, she dressed herself in a formal gown in preparation for a council with the king's court. They were to discuss the primary reason she had been summoned back to Lae'yera: to give her the last preparations before her first mission. The wedding between herself and Amoreus, High Captain of the Lae'yeran throne, being the other. Arranged, of course. Both were politically raised, and had dutifully accepted one another from an early age.

The high-ceilinged halls were illuminated with streaming sunlight as Enphyra made her way to the king's council. The long dining table was adorned with fresh fruit, and lived with the heads of court from near and far. Most were older, and primarily elves. The king sat at the council's head.

Enphyra took her seat near the king, across from Amoreus, who greeted her with a nod, and his tight political smile. It dissolved into a sincere one as she leaned across the table to converse.

"How I ended up in my room last night is a mystery to me," Enphyra said in a hushed voice. The corner of his mouth twitched up as Amoreus rested his chin in his palm.

"You fell asleep in my arms, my love. I suspected exhaustion. Or too much wine." His sea-blue eyes glittered with amusement. Enphyra gave a chuckle.

"I have the vague memory of you returning me to my quarters, Amoreus."

"Mm."

"I do not recall how I came to be in my nightgown, though." Amoreus leaned back in his chair, only half-heartedly trying to hide a secretive smile.

"That's the real mystery, then, darling."

Their eyes lingered on one another's as the king stood from his chair beside them, preparing to call the court to order. Once the hall full of important individuals quieted down, the king began addressing and thanking those who have travelled far to attend. After that, he allowed the same military advisor from the ball to stand, and explain briefly about their technological breakthrough. Enphyra listened to him basically retell what she had heard him say the preceding night, as well as many times before to various individuals. She smiled lightly when he received various oos and aahs of approval, nodding periodically as she gave him her silent support of attention. When he was finished, the king resumed speaking, gesturing to Enphyra once he reached his main point of action.

"And with us, lords and ladies, is our dear Enphyra Evermoure, one of the last Lae Elves, and of whom we have the great pleasure of working with towards our success." Enphyra gives a warm smile as she stands gracefully, nodding and acknowledging the court humbly after the king introduced her. She sits as their applause settles, and the king continues.

"As you all know, Elven magic of the Lae kind is the oldest, the strongest. Lady Evermoure has been training with us long and daily, and she is prepared to take the receiver behind enemy fortresses under the cover of the Ghaela." Still smiling regally, Enphyra gazed across the table at Amoreus, who's lips were stretched tightly into a smile. He watched the king with thin, raised brows. "Our first point of transported seige will be to the Dark Spire," he says with a low voice, and a dark confidence. The company of council draws eerily silent, their chuckles and excited hums of approval ceasing altogether. Enphyra's heart aches with a twinge of pain when she watches the look of alarm appear on Amoreus' face. She knew she should've told him earlier. Holding his fist to his chest, the king of Lae'yera gazes out across his council, catching the eye of every member before he continues once more.

"The Dark Spire is weak. Our spies have confirmed the death of its Lord not two weeks ago. The allegiance of its armies will be hanging by a thread with the process of the change in power, and we must strike now before a new leader arises to lead them against us from the east. The Ghaela runs deep withing Lady Evermoure, her blood is pure. This mission will not fail, and the Tower of the Damned will fall under our conquest before the month is out." He launched into one of his powerful speeches, then, of the strength and ingenuity of beloved Lae'yera. With his words, he calmed the fears and removed the doubts with a demonstration of the receiver and teleporter. Enphyra even showed the council her Lae ability to use the Ghaela in its most powerful form, tapping into her people's magic source to become unseen to the eye. Amoreus avoided her gaze throughout the presentation, and even when she became visible to the council to sit back down.

After a long discussion, lunch was served in the hall to the diplomats, ambassadors, dukes, princes, lords, and ladies of the council. Enphyra's spirits were low as she ate, being congratulated by various other people as Amoreus ate in stiff silence. After the council was called to a close, Enphyra visited dutifully, as her fiance did, with those who wanted to talk to her. Once the hall was opened and the members of the council began to file out, Enphyra walked briskly after a retreating Amoreus to catch up with him. She followed him through the southern wing and into a deserted courtyard, where he stood waiting for her. She stopped upon seeing him, standing still and tense, his wavy blonde hair framing the eyes that were filled with so much dark worry. The Lae Elf gazed across the courtyard at him, and he at her, for a few moments, her lips parted and her white brows at a concerned angle.

"Amoreus," she whispered, taking a few steps toward him. His pained gaze searched hers at her approach, and his hand rose to sweep his shoulder-length hair back. Reaching him, she touched the dark fabric of the tunic on his chest lightly as she set her forehead down carefully below his collarbone. He remained unresponsive. "What are you worried about?" Pulling away from her, Amoreus paced pensively around the opposite side of a stone bench.

"You, Enphyra. Going to the Dark Spire by yourself, doing this mission in a place of utmost hostility."

"It's what needs to be done. This is what I've been training for, my love, you cannot fear for me any longer," she pleaded, circling the bench after him. With a shuddering sigh, Amoreus stopped and pivoted to grasp Enphyra and take her in his arms. Holding her closely, he pressed his hand against the back of her head.

"The thought of you never coming back will always haunt me, Enphyra. Whether you want it to be so, or not." Closing her eyes tightly, she hugged Amoreus tightly around the waist.

"I understand, my love."