Evermoure

Ethera

The days that remained in the short week before Enphyra’s departure marched on swiftly, filled with last minute conferences and procedures to ensure success. To Enphyra’s disappointment, Amoreus remained distant at every event, blank and diplomatic at the meetings. He stayed that way even when they were alone, a hint of his distance lingering even when they made love on their last night together in Lae’yera. Wrapped against one another by a single sheet around their waists, Enphyra was lying with her head tucked into the dip in the middle of Amoreus’ chest. Where he normally would be stroking her wavy hair, damp with sweat at the roots, or running his fingertips lightly down her bare back and shoulders, he was lying still and silent underneath her, then. With a tired sigh, Enphyra slid her head up to look at his face, her chin resting against his warm chest. His eyes were closed, his features blank. He looked as if he could be sleeping, but she knew how difficult it was for him to do so, that week especially.

“Amoreus,” she whispered, her voice soft and pleading. His left ear twitched as his brow lifted slightly. “Don’t do this now. You must stop thinking toward the worst-case scenarios, and look forward to our wedding at my return.” She kissed his bare chest underneath her periodically between words, entwining her legs more snugly around his under the sheet. His eyes opened slowly, and for once, they finally showed emotion. Enphyra’s heart sank at the worry and fear they held.

“I’ve been with you all my life,” he whispered, his deep eyes glassy, “And I want you by my side for the remainder of it. If that doesn’t happen... If some day you don’t come back...” his sentences drifted off as his body gave a tremor, and Enphyra slid up against him to cradle his head. She wiped his silent tears away as she kissed him and kissed him. She was propped up on her elbow, resting on her side as she was tucked against Amoreus. He held her tightly around the waist, his face resting in the refuge of her neck.

Amoreus was a strong man. Ever calm, ever level, ever balanced in his emotions. Enphyra was beginning to realize that she was one of his weaknesses, and perhaps even the only. He was highly intelligent, highly compassionate, but his emotions were never potent. She could not think of a single person, man or elf, that would be better fit for the throne, and the people of the realm as well as the members of the high council knew that. They had chosen well in electing him. As she watched him grow and mature into the man he was now, she had been increasingly glad their betrothal would aid him in becoming the King’s heir, as it had. Many wanted to see a Lae Elf Queen at the King’s side, and before Amoreus’ true heart and just spirit was known to the people, her presence beside the elf won their hearts for him.

The strength of emotions that he was expressing now was very rare, and she did her best to console him there in his bed with the cold night breeze drifting in from the terrace. She was relieved when her comfort gave him rest, and he fell asleep in her arms. With a heavy heart, though, she knew he would suffer many sleepless nights once she was gone.

Morning greeted the couple with steeled hearts, and the two travelled arm-in-arm through the wings of the castle with strength, to attend the farewell gathering.

Once they arrived in the king’s great hall, the same once that the ball was held in to celebrate Enphyra and Amoreus’ engagement, the marble and stone rang with applause. The two were smiling as they walked through the hall, Amoreus’ stoically political, Enphyra’s gracefully regal. The king greeted them with firm hugs and glasses of wine before minglng, and Enphyra hardly noticed when Amoreus disappeared like a shadow into the throngs of the court. She was in conversation with the king and a group of fellow ambassadors from her homeland in the Wilde South, when she asked him if he knew where her fiance was. With a thoughtful scratch to his blonde stubble, he answered her with a knowing smile.

“Somewhere around here, I’m sure, Lady Evermoure.” With a smile, she narrowed her emerald eyes at the look he was giving her.

“Somewhere, King Draxus?” The Common Elf king gave her a glistening wink before kissing her hand warmly and leading her toward the front of the hall, where she spotted Amoreus. Her curiousity grew as she approached, even moreso when she spotted a long bundle in his hands. The ghost of a smile could almost be seen on his face as she neared him.

“Here you are, Amoreus,” the king said with a smile, presenting Enphyra with a gesture. Amoreus bowed slightly in thanks, before holding the wrapped item out gently to her. She hesitated before taking it studying the look in Amoreus’ sky-colored eyes. He offered her the slightest smile as she grasped the object, hard beneath its paper wrapping.

“I meant to present this to you at the ceremony for completing our training,” he spoke softly as she carefully untied the twine and unfolded the wrinkled brown paper, “But it was not yet finished.” A gasp escaped her lips as she pulled away the last of the paper, revealing an elven rapier, forged from Lae’yeran steel. breathless, Enphyra studied the engraved sheath, the intricately elegant hit, the balance.

“Its name is Ethera,” he whispered softly to his fiance.

“Amoreus,” she breathed in awe, “Did you forge this?” The Common Elf gave a slight smile as he gazed at Enphyra.

“With some help from King Draxus.” Sparkling eyes turned to the beaming King, who had been watching jovially the entire time, Enphyra gave a deep curtsy.

“Thank you, my king,” she said gratefully as he waved her off with a laugh. He held a finger up to point to Amoreus.

“Thank that one, Lady Evermoure.” Turning to Amoreus, she passed the rapier to one hand before wrapping her other arm around his neck. The Lae Elf hugged him tightly, whispering a deeply heartfelt thanks in his ear. He held her to his with both arms, his cheek against hers.

“So that I can keep you safe, even when I cannot be there with you,” he whispered, his breath on her ear. Grasping the back of his head firmly in her hand, she kissed his cheek.

More wine was served to all, and the expedition team was given a toast to their good fortune, before the gathering ended. Amoreus accompanied Enphyra and the expedition team to the castle’s main gate, where a small caravan of travelling wagons and horses awaited the group. The last of the supplies were just being loaded into the wagons as they arrived, and Enphyra was given a chesnut mare to ride. Amoreus stood by as she adjusted the saddle straps and straightened her riding pants and tunic, before mounting up. Her wavy white hair was pulled into a thick braid that trailed down the middle of her back for riding, and her pale cheeks were flushed with the excitement of the journey. She shifted the belt that held Ethera at her side from up on the mare. When she was settled, her emerald eyes turned to Amoreus, who stood silently beside her horse.

“Farewell, my love,” she said to him, taking the reins of her horse up in one hand. Amoreus grasped the other, giving it a kiss before looking up at the Lae Elf.

“Be safe, Enphyra.” She nodded as the party began to move, the front of the caravan heading out into the town beyond the city walls. Enphyra squeezed her fiance’s hand tightly as she kicked her mare gently with her heels. The heir’s cobalt eyes never left her as her hand slid out of his. As she approached the gate, she twisted around in her saddle to hold her fist firmly to her chest as she gazed back at Amoreus. The last view she saw of the Common Elf before she passed beyond the gate, was him returning the gesture, closed fist pressed over his heart.

Strength.