We're Not Broken, Just Bent

Two

“So I’m guessing by that full head of hair that you haven’t gotten a biopsy done?” I was trying to find Mark’s doctor in my database on my computer.

“No, just an MRI and then I stuck around long enough to hear the word tumor and that’s about when I panicked.” He pulled a chair up to my desk and sat down next to me.

“So we don’t know if it’s cancerous” He shook his head as he pointed to a name and address on my screen.

“That’s him.” I sighed as I grabbed my phone and dialed the number.

“This is Dr. Howard.” I leaned back in my desk chair.

“Hello Dr. Howard, this is Dr. Bailey Whelan with Johns Hopkins in the neuro department-“

“Dr. Whelan, what an honor.” I smiled at the compliment and the man’s general excitement over the phone.

“What can I help you with today?” I swung my chair back and forth in slow motions, as Mark looked very serious as he stared blankly at my computer screen.

“I was just wondering if I could get a file for one of your patients, he is an old friend and has asked me to take his case.” Sometimes other doctors could become very upset when something like this happened, I just hope this wasn’t the scenario today.

“Sure, of course. What is the patients name?”

“Mark Alan Ruffalo, birthdate is 11/22/67.” Mark’s eyes found me as I allowed his information to flow from my lips just as easily as if it had been my own.

“Ah, yes. Brain tumor. I will make sure to fax it to your office myself within the next hour.” I gave him my home fax number and my work email to send the scans to and thanked him for being so cooperative before I hung up.

“Well, your information should be here and at the hospital within the next hour.” I put my phone back down on my desk next to my pager and clasped my hands together.

“Thank you so much for this.” I shrugged my shoulders.

“It’s not a big deal.” I felt like my words were coming out wrong at this point.

“I mean it just made sense for you to come here, to me.” I tried to correct myself as he smiled for the first since he showed up at my front door.

“I know what you meant, so do you have to go to work?” I shook my head.

“Nope, you actually caught me on my day off today. Where are you staying?” I stood up from my desk and he followed my lead. We were making our way through the lower level living space and we went up the stairs.

“I don’t know yet, I just came here straight from the airport.” I turned to face him as we reached the main floor.

“But you don’t have anything with you.” He laughed at the look on my face.

“Right, like I said, I kind of panicked.” He placed his hands on his hips and quickly looked at the floor and then back at me.

“So you’re staying here.” It wasn’t a question, more like a statement.

“Are you sure? I understand-“ I shook my head at him.

“It’s just me here and I have the extra space. Wait, does Sunrise know you’re here?” That question hit him full force as he just stared at me.

“No, but she isn’t even home. She’s filming in Germany right now. You’re the only one that knows.” I groaned as I ran a hand through my hair.

“Oh my God, you are trying to get me murdered.” I placed my hands on top of my head as we stood in silence. Before Mark and I had our falling out it was no secret that Sunrise hated me.

“She’ll understand. I mean how can she not, you’re the best and Johns Hopkins is ranked number one-“ He trailed off as I smiled at my floor.

“You know her better than I do, but somehow I find that very hard to believe. You are calling her tonight and telling her and then you are calling your family. I don’t want to be caught in the middle of the shit-storm that will ensue by the people you haven’t told yet. I’ll show you your room.” I spun on my heel and made it to the stairs before he caught up with me.

“So how do you like Baltimore?” We got to the second floor as I went right and walked to the end of the hallway.

“It’s different, I’m still not sure if I am a big city person, but I’m happy.” I walked into the second bedroom.

“Your bathroom is right there, I think I have some of Luke’s old clothes still that will probably fit you for now.” He was walking around the room and turned his head to look at me at Luke’s name.

“It’s been two years, I can say his name now without bursting into tears.” I said my sentence in a cold and unattached tone.

“I didn’t mean-“ I waved my hand at him to stop.

“Uh, my room is the next flight of stairs up and the door right here,” I pointed to the door that was to the right of his room. “Is the door that leads to the terrace on the roof. I get a nice view of the city so feel free to go up whenever.”

“Bales?” I turned to look at him as he stepped closer to me.

“That nickname always reminded me of hay for some reason.” He rolled his eyes.

“Fine, Bailey Rose.” I cringed at my full name.

“I just really wanted to say thank you.” He pulled me in for a short hug as I smiled at him.

“I just have some stuff I have to look at for work, but feel free to wander around. I have a shit ton of food in the kitchen and if you need anything just come up.” I pointed to the ceiling above us.

“Just make yourself at home.” I made my exit and headed up to my bedroom. I had some scans to look through and consult on. Even on my days off I was still working, oh the glorious life of being a doctor.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading! Comments are greatly appreciated.