We're Not Broken, Just Bent

Three

“No, Sunny, just listen-“ It was hard not to overhear Mark’s conversation. He was in the living room and I was in the kitchen trying to make a snack.

“It’s the best neuro-department in the country. She is the best neurologist in the country. I wouldn’t be here if this wasn’t serious.” There was a pause and I heard him walk back and forth across my hardwood floors.

“I don’t know yet, she got my file from Dr. Howard.” I was trying very hard not to eavesdrop but it was damn near impossible.

“This is just ridiculous. I have a serious medical problem and you are getting mad that I’m staying here and asking her for her help.” And there it is. I nodded and rolled my eyes as I tried my best to make a sandwich in record time. The one freaking time I didn’t have my stuff pre-sliced would be the time I wanted to get the hell out of the kitchen.

“What part of brain tumor and Bailey are you having trouble seeing the good in?” His sarcasm was heavy and I couldn’t really blame him at this point.

“I’m going to go because I am getting upset and I can’t make you stop being mad at me. I’m staying and getting the best medical attention I can find, I’ll see you when I get home.” The call ended and the house was filled with a heavy silence. Mark knew I was in the kitchen because I tried to make as much noise as possible when I initially came down to make something to eat.

“Sorry about that.” He was putting his phone into his pocket as he made an appearance in front of me.

“About what? It’s none of my business, I’m sorry you’re upset.” I was finally done making my sandwich and put all of the stuff away.

“I’ve made your appointment tomorrow with me for the first thing in the morning so you can just come in with me.” He nodded and stared at the wall behind me.

“Hey, it’s a lot to take in. I’m sure she’s scared and to deal with it she needs someone to blame, and seeing as you’re sick, I’m the next best thing.” I felt the need to defend her because when all of this was said and done that’s who he was going back to, that’s who was going to take care of him.

“I don’t know why you’re the bad guy. You’ve done way more than you should have, if anything she should be thanking you.” I let a snort of laughter blow through my nose.

“Mark, I’m pretty sure the last thing Sunrise would ever do is thank me for anything.” I placed my sandwich on a paper plate and grabbed a water from the fridge.
“I’m sorry.” I turned and faced him as he sat down at the breakfast bar and rubbed his eyes with his hands.

“You don’t have to apologize to me, for her. It’s old news; I’ve stopped harping on all of it. Do you need anything?” He shook his head.

“You need to eat. I know you, I know you haven’t eaten anything since yesterday.” He only continued to not look at me and shake his head. I sighed and placed my sandwich in front of him and the water bottle in front of that.

“Turkey, mayo, and lettuce. Eat or I will shove it in your mouth.” He looked up at me with a lazy smile.

“I would not want that second option to happen.” He pulled the plate towards him and picked up the sandwich.

“I guess a woman in the kitchen making a sandwich joke is out of order?” He joked and I almost saw his full smile, but it stopped before it reached its full potential.

“If I so much as hear the beginning of one I have no problem kicking your ass, tumor or no tumor.” I held a finger up in his direction and he let out a laugh as he took his first bite.

“Thank you.” He said before he had a chance to swallow. I only nodded as I went back to my fridge to start making myself another sandwich.

“I was thinking about going vegetarian.” Mark said as I began slicing up my stuff and washing my lettuce.

“It can be healthy if you do it the right way. A lot of people who do it now don’t understand the concept of protein.” I stuck my knife into my jar of mayo and spread it over the first slice of bread.

“What do you mean?” His sandwich was almost gone now.

“They think they can just drink protein shakes or protein bars. It’s as if no one reads the packaging, do you know how much sugar is in all of that?” He shook his head.

“You might as well eat a snickers bar.” He smiled at me as he finished off his own turkey sandwich.

“I can give you an information sheet I made a couple of months ago for some of my patients who were thinking about it.” He looked confused for a moment.

“I thought you just dealt with the brain.” I shrugged my shoulders.

“I help out in the ER sometimes when I’m not busy with patients and for some people they talk to me about their life, not just their brain problems.”

“Actually, if you are still here tomorrow night you get to meet Rose and Ted.” He took a swig from the water bottle as I placed my finished sandwich onto a paper plate.

“Who are they?” I went around the corner and sat down next to him.

“The cutest little old couple I have ever met.” I smiled as I took a bite.

“Patients of yours?” I nodded my head and swallowed.

“Ted had a brain tumor and he needed surgery and well they just couldn’t afford it, and their only other option was to drown in debt. Well, both Rose and him had quite a few medical issues so I stepped in and I did it pro bono and I make house calls for them. So they pay me back by making me dinner every Friday night.” Mark was just staring at me so I awkwardly shrugged my shoulders.

“It’s not a big deal, they are just really nice people and I wanted to help them out.” He was still staring at me.

“What?” He kind of just shook his head slowly at me.

“Just, you.” He finished his shitty explanation while returning his gaze to the counter.

“Me, what?” He rested his chin on his clasped hands and smiled down at the surface.

“You’re amazing. You just give and give and expect nothing in return and I-“ He stopped speaking as if something got caught in his throat. He coughed and finally looked back up at me as took a sip of my water.

“I just wanted to say I’ve always admired that about you, you’re my hero.” He said the last bit as he placed his hand to his chest.

“Was that last part sarcasm?”

“No, you really are my hero. I just don’t know why she-“ And we were back to Sunrise.

“Hey, it’s okay. We’ll figure this out and I’ll have you back home in no time.” I turned my attention back to eating. His phone started ringing and he sighed as he pulled it out of his pocket.

“Hey Tania.” My head perked up at his sister’s name.

“I don’t know yet. I just told mom today.” I finished my sandwich and threw our plates in the trash.

“I’m at Bailey’s.” He looked at me and pulled his phone away from his face.

“She wants to talk to you.” He gave me a slightly apologetic face but I smiled at him as I took his phone.

“Hey.”

“Bailey, what the hell is going on?” She sounded worried and I couldn’t really blame her.

“I am not sure yet, I will have all the information tomorrow morning.” Tania was the worrier of the four siblings.

“So he just showed up at your door?” Her tone sounded disbelieving.

“Yeah.”

“Is he going to be okay, Bales? Like, he’s going to live, right?” I looked at Mark who was leaning against the counter and looking at me.

“Tania I don’t know anything right now. Just don’t worry until we know anything.” I knew saying that last part would get a laugh from Mark.

“Ugh, just make sure he calls us tomorrow.” She sounded frustrated and worried.

“I will.”

“Just, take care of him please.” I smiled at her words.

“Tania who do you think you’re talking to?” Mark threw away his empty water bottle before standing in front of me.

“I know, just work your magic.” After assuring her I would send her brother home in good condition I handed the phone back to Mark.

“I’ll be upstairs.” I whispered as he nodded at me and went back to talking to his sister. I climbed the stairs hoping to the universe that Mark’s tumor wasn’t cancerous and that I could get it out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading!