‹ Prequel: Cracks in Reality
Status: Active

Painting Virgin Skin

Now you're in New York

I hate planes but I spend more time on them I would like. I mean how else would I travel between my various homes? I couldn’t help but love being in New York the best, so I was so happy when I landed in my city. The horns blaring, the people arguing, the dirty streets, this city has my heart. I nodded at a cab driver and he popped open the trunk for me to put my bags in. Before long we were creeping along in bumper to bumper traffic down the high way. I sent texts to the Clarks, Dixie, my staff and parents letting them know I got here safe. I was anxious to get some rest; I had a mall owner in Boston contacting me in the morning about opening up a parlor there. I couldn’t believe that I had 5 locations in 4 states with a potential for a sixth location. I never dreamed that my hobby in my parents’ basement would become a full blown career. I mean if I am perfectly honest, I am doing really well for myself.

After what felt like hours in traffic, we were finally bumping along to my house. I was glad to be staying with my parents for a bit. I don’t see them nearly as much as I’d like. When we finally pulled up, I paid the driver his ridiculous price and made my way up the steps of my parent’s brownstone in Williamsburg. I knew they wouldn't be home yet, it was too late and they both work security jobs with grave yard shifts. I knew the house would be empty when I got here. So I went straight to my room and threw myself onto the bed, I was ready to sleep for a long time. I managed to get at least five hours of sleep before Mom woke me up with breakfast in bed. I missed home cooked breakfasts. I ate happily and spoke to my mom about the business and the Clarks. Then Boston called to talk about my new shop. I was thrilled that after my lawyer reviewed the contract, he said it was a good deal. So, I let the owner know in two weeks I could be down there to discuss details, and scope out talent for the new place. Dad and I celebrated by watching some game and drinking something mom whipped up.

This is the way it had always been for us, so effortless to get along. I never argued with my parents. Unlike most kids I knew what it was like to be without any, so I am extremely grateful for the ones I have. After the game, dad and mom headed up to their room to get some rest before work. I decided to stop being lazy and head into my parlor. The one that’s closest by, of course. The boys freaked when they saw me, always thrilled to have me around. The customers started letting their friends know I was back. I checked the accounts, called my other New York location, and did all that other important stuff, before heading to my chair. This felt like really being home, my first chair, in my first parlor. Nothing was really better than this. The bell over the door rang and the guys looked up, one whistled and I gave him a dirty look. I turned to apologize to the woman, when I saw it was Dixie. She looked awkward and out of place here, fidgeting with her hands as she walked deeper into my shop. She sat at my chair and smiled at me.

“It’s been three years since I have been to this city and since there is still a week until school starts I thought I would come visit.” She reclined against the chair like it was a love seat in a living room. “Will you show me around? I never saw much besides the school and the home when I was here.”

I managed to speak despite how stunned I felt to see her, “sure, but let me work a bit first. You want a tat?” I joked knowing her answer.

“Maybe some other time.” Then she got up and took the seat next to mine. “But can I watch?”

“I don’t mind but its up to the client.” As I started to set up one of my regulars came in, nodding at Dixie before telling me what they want.

I knew in that moment that this week was not going to go as planned.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are the best so please let me know what you think ♥