‹ Prequel: Cracks in Reality
Status: Active

Painting Virgin Skin

The Way you Make me Feel

I sat in the parlor chair two seats down from where Nick worked. I couldn’t believe how bold I was being just showing up here like this. I mean I just brought a last minute ticket and boom, New York here I come. It was Ruby who talked me into it, said I had nothing left to lose. I couldn’t help but agree with her, I have danced around my feelings for this guy for two years now. It was time that I just went for it. I mean if he likes me great and if he doesn’t then I can start to move on. At least that’s what I keep telling myself, that it will be that simple. That I will be able to slide him off like an old skin and just keeping moving forward. I bit the inside of my cheek and watch him as he works; I could sense the eyes of other men on me. I hated that, being stared at; I had to fight the urge to kick them in their shins. Nick spoke softly to his female client, I wondered if he was aware how gentle he was with them compared to the men. He wasn’t flirty pre say, but he wasn’t just being friendly either. I roll my eyes as the girl giggles too loudly and bats her eyelashes at Nick. When he pauses his work and looks up at her, I feel my face flush. His midnight blue eyes are fixed firmly on hers, my heart aches to be at the end of that look.

I shift myself uncomfortably and look away. I feel as if I have invaded on a private moment and that was all it took to make me feel foolish about this trip. I am miles from home, from my family, from all my comforts for this boy and trust me, I have never once been at the receiving end of a look like that. I curl up into myself and pick at my cuticles until the one on my index finger starts to bleed. I scowl at myself and press my other fingers hard on it to try and numb the pain. Why is it always the little things that hurt the most? I am so lost in thought that I hadn’t noticed that Nick made his way over to me.

“Are you alright? I saw you flinch and,” he pauses and looks at my finger, “oh Dixie, what did you do that for?” I childish shielded my finger from his sight. “I will go and get you a Band-Aid from the back room.” He took my hand in his and I felt a tingle where he was touching me. “No more picking okay?”

I just nod and he smiles, a heart melting smile, showing his dimples only briefly. He lets go of my hand and heads off to the back room. Suddenly I feel like I can breathe again, I had no idea that I was having trouble breathing. I guess I can add that to the results of having Nick so close. I clear my throat for no reason and look down at my legs in hopes to hide my blush. Nick came back, takes my hand and puts the band-aid on. He kisses the finger, winks at me and before heading back to his chair. I hate him, I swear I do, how could he? I mean the nerve of him, being all gorgeous, debonair, with a hint of an aloof demeanor. That boy is living breathing trouble and I can’t help but want to be in that kind of trouble. He looks up from the hip he was tattooing and lets his eyes linger on my face. My heart races out of control, I feel the breath get caught in my lungs. I watch his lips curl up into a devilishly charming grin and then back to work he goes. I wonder if he could see the affect that had on me. Can he hear my heart pounding? See the rapid increase in my breathing? Feel the heat my face is giving off?

I have to get out of here even if it’s just to walk around the block. I get up and head briskly to the door, saying I will only be a few minutes as I walk. The bell above my head jingles and I don’t slow my pace. I walk briskly, telling myself to calm down. I watch as a group of cheerleaders in uniform walk past and I feel a wave of homesickness. This is crazy; I can barely handle two hours alone with Nick, let alone a whole week. I will surely die from heart palpitations or something. My hands were shaking as I sent Ruby a text, I have never really been anywhere or done much of anything without her. Maybe that’s why I am freaking out. I mean Nick and I are friend sure, but we mostly hang out while other people are around. No, its fine, we can do this. We managed pretty well when we agreed to give Ruby and James their space that first week they were together. I take a deep breath and nod. Time to head back, I am just over reacting. While I am walking back to the tattoo shop I spot Nick standing out front. He looks alarmed, which is not a usual look for him. When he turns and sees me. I see relief wash over his face. He takes long strides towards me and grabs both my hands.

“Don’t ever do that again! You can’t just go and wander off alone, you hardly know this place. I was worried.” He let out a sigh, “just don’t go anywhere without me okay?”

I nod, words failed me yet again. He hugs me and I know that I am right. Nick may as well be the death of me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am loving Dixie's development ♥

Anyway please let me know what you think