‹ Prequel: Cracks in Reality
Status: Active

Painting Virgin Skin

The Main Goal

I step into the kitchen while Carol admits to missing me. I know that isn't the reason why she is calling me. I respond to all the start of conversation usual stuff for her real purpose to come out. Yes, I am fine. Of course my parents are great. Yup I am back in New York. That kind of stuff, until five minutes later her real reason for calling surfaces.

"Why hasn't Nate noticed me?" She frustratingly blows into the phone, I know its probably because a piece of her black hair fell into her face. "I mean I am pretty right? You would tell me if I wasn't pretty, wouldn't you?"

That's Carol, always asking me if she is pretty. She has choppy shoulder length black hair, olive tone skin and piercing blue eyes. She is cute girl height too, 5'2, tiny like Ruby. I mean we are almost twins in looks. She is a beautiful girl, plus she is smart and funny too. Not to mention a great tattoo artist and an amazing friend. She was quite the catch.

“How many times do I have to tell you that you are beautiful?” I laugh as Carol whines through the phone on the other end.

“Yeah, but you are kind of bias as my brother by choice. Plus we are practically twins, you might just be saying that so you can complement yourself."

"So why do you keep asking me?" I give her a look that I know she can't see but I also know that she knows the look I am giving her.

"Because I still like hearing it," she laughs. "So do you think that Nate likes me or what?”

I sigh and lean against the kitchen counter. I rub my hands together nervously, I know that Nate doesn't like her. So how do I break it to her in a way that won't hurt too much?

“Come on, how many times do I have to tell you that I don’t want to talk about this?” I roll my eyes and can almost see her doing the same on the side of her phone. “Why are you so hung up on this dude anyway? He is a mediocre tattoo artist with a terrible reputation.”

“Your reputation isn't that great the last I checked. Who’s your girlfriend now?” I run my hand carefully through my hair, very aware that Dixie is in the other room.

“No one Carol, same as when you asked me last week.” I decide to go in the fridge to try and keep myself from being annoyed by the question I knew would come next.

“No one worth your time yet?” I huff and slam the fridge door.

Sometimes Carol was like clockwork.

“No Carol! No one worth the breath it would take to report it to you yet. Between you, mom and Ruby, I have no idea who gets on my case about this the most. I am 22 not 100, I think I still have some time ahead of me. Besides my focus is on my career Carol and making sure it grows. Painting Skins is becoming a bigger success then I ever imagined. I even have a meeting in Boston in two weeks about a new parlor. I don’t have time for girlfriends or flings or whatever. I am tired of repeating myself about this all the time. Just lay off okay?”

She took a deep breath, “you are a bit defensive today, so that means Dixie is near. You always get huffy when she is close. It just bugs you huh? Bugs you that you are crushing on a nineteen year old? Bugs you that you have resigned before even trying to get her attention? Look you don’t want anything romantic now fine, but make sure you tell Dixie that because she is so clearly into you.”

I scoff, “you don’t know what you are talking about. Listen, leave Nate alone he is a loser. Beside right now he is dating Kathy and Sarah and who knows who else he has up his sleeves.”

“Oh,” she said in a small voice and I felt the sting of my words.

“You deserve so much better.” I try to soften the blow. I peer into the living room and Dixie is staring at her hands. “I have to go okay? Dixie is waiting for me.”

“Okay, just be careful Nick. Don’t let yourself forget your goal. Painting Skins all over the world.”

“I won’t forget Carol. I will see you tomorrow at the Parlor.”

I hang up and leave my phone on the counter top before walking back into the living room.

“Sorry,” Dixie looks up at me, sadness in her eyes. “I had to help out a friend. Anyway so what show did you have in mind?”

She shrugs, her blonde hair falling over her left shoulder in the process. She turns her head slightly away from me. Her eyes are fixed on the front door like she is looking for an excuse to leave. I wonder what happened while I was on the phone that got her so upset. I throw myself on the love seat and try not to think about it. I mean she could have got a phone call or a text that upset her. Or maybe she is just homesick? I should at least ask her so I could attempt to try to make her feel better.

“Hey, are you okay?” I raise my eyebrow and smile at her.

“What?” She shakes her head and giggles. “Yeah I am fine. I was just thinking ‘bout Ruby and James that’s all. I hope they remember to weed the flower garden without me there. I usually so that for them.”

She gets a distant look in her eyes, she is homesick.

I shrug, “you could text her to remind her.”

She jumps up, “Yeah I will do that! Umm I am just going to head to the bathroom for privacy.”

“Oh…Kay.” I give her a weird look and she scrambles up the steps towards the bathroom.

Girls are strange; I don’t think I will ever understand them. Good thing that I won't be trying to anytime soon anyway. Painting Skins is my main objective. That is the only goal that I am pursuing. I shake my head and pick up a book off the coffee table. I open up a guide book and wait for Dixie to get back.