Trust the Instinct

002:

“So what exactly do you do?” I laughed as I watched as Danny fixed his gear and smirked towards me.

“I’m usually the goaltender,” he said and I nodded my head

“Let’s go, Danny,” I heard and turned to see Jackson walking over towards us, “Gotta impress the fresh meat.”

“Ok, never been called that before,” I said and Danny laughed.

“There are you and another girl that are new,” he said and then nudged his head towards two girls that sat at the top of the bleachers.

‘…They look like bitches…’

“Maybe you should go and make friends,” Danny said and I snorted.

Jackson wrapped his arm around Danny shoulders and smirked towards me, “So do you know the rules?”

“Put the little ball and the net?” I asked and Danny smirked and nodded his head.

“Basically-“

“Jackson!” we heard and turned our heads to see that two girls that were sitting on the top bleachers walking towards us.

“Lexi, this is Lydia and Alison,” Jackson introduced and Lydia looked at me and looked to be sizing me up.

“Motorgirl?” she asked and I sighed.

“I guess that is your new nickname,” Danny smirked and I rolled my eyes.

“Lexi,” I introduced and the brown headed girl smiled towards me and held out her hand.

“Alison, nice to meet you.”

“Both new girls,” Jackson said and then wrapped his arm around Lydia’s shoulder and kissed her cheek.

“Nice to meet you,” I said and then looked back towards Lydia.

“Cute outfit, very,” she paused to think of her words, “Badass.”

“Uh, thanks, my Aunt ran a clothing store back in New York-“

“No way, my mom ran a boutique in San Francisco,” Alison said and I smirked

“Great, the ladies are now friends, now can we get on the field!” I heard and turned my face to hear a whistle being blown into my ear.

“Ow,” I said and rubbed my ear to see that it was the lacrosse Coach.

“We’re coming, Coach,” Danny said and he and Jackson walked away and I felt myself being pulled towards the bleachers.

“So you and Danny?” Lydia asked.

“Yeah, he started talking to me in homeroom, we became friends, in most of my classes and I have dubbed him to be my Chemistry tutor,” I smirked and Alison laughed a little.

“You know he’s gay, right?” Lydia asked rudely.

‘…Wow, ok then…’ I thought and nodded my head, “Yeah, I know, we’re just friends.”

“Cool, see any cute boys here?” Lydia asked and we all looked at the field.

‘…This is a test….’ I thought because she thought that she was the Queen bee and wanted to make sure that no one went after her boyfriend, Jackson, “Not really, I’m not here for boys-“

“Are you gay too?!” Lydia asked and I looked at her surprised, Alison did too, “It’s all right if you are-“

“I’m not gay!” I stated, “I just want to focus on school.”

“That’s what they all say,” Lydia said and then looked towards Alison, “She said it too.”

‘…Great, she’s a blabber mouth…’ I thought and then watched as the boys all went onto the field, “What’s happening?”

“Tryouts are starting,” Lydia said and I sighed.

“Who is that?” Alison asked and I looked at her and saw that she and Lydia are looking towards the net.

“Him? I’m not sure who he is,” she said and I was confused because I thought Danny said that he usually played net, “Why?”

“He’s in my English class,” she said and I looked at him.

“He’s in my Chemistry class,” I said and Lydia shrugged her shoulders, “I think I heard the teacher call him McCall? Scott McCall?”

“Oh,” Alison said and then we heard a whistle being blown.

I watched as the kid in the net started to move around, holding his head and looking like he was in pain, and when the whistle stopped, he moved around slowly. The first player had the ball and ran towards the net, tossed the ball with his stick and my eyes widened as the kid in the net wasn’t paying attention, “Uh oh,” the guys were all laughing when the kid took the ball to the face and fell to the ground, “At least he had a mask on,” I said and Alison nodded her head.

“Nice job catching the ball with your face, McCall!” I heard and I was happy to hear that I had gotten the kid’s name right.

Another player threw the ball and McCall surprisingly caught it, in fact, all of the guys seemed surprised that he caught the ball. Another player came and went, McCall caught the ball, there was like a sudden change in his playing skills.

“He seems like he’s pretty good,” Alison said and I smirked towards her and nodded my head.

“Yeah, very good,” Lydia said and I watched as Jackson cut to the front of the line and demanded the ball, he looked upset that McCall was this good, “Oh here we go, my Captain!”

I had to bite back a scoff when McCall caught Jackson’s ball too, and I was surprised to see Lydia stand up from between Alison and I and start cheering for McCall, giving Jackson a smirk.

By the end of practice, people were really impressed by McCall and Jackson couldn’t stop talking about how he wasn’t that good last season. I had to say bye to everyone because I needed to go back to my locker to get my helmet. I was surprised when Danny said he would come with me, and then Alison said that she needed to get something out of her locker anyways.

“So what did you think? Did we blow your mind?” Danny asked as he leaned against the locker next to me.

“Definitely,” I smirked and Danny laughed and watched as I struggled with my locker.

“Need help?”

“Yes please,” I said and then gave him the combination and he opened my locker, “Thanks.”

“No problem, I’ll see you later, I have to head home,” Danny and then waved bye to me, “Oh wait, trade numbers.”

“Yeah, sure,” I said and then pulled out my iPhone and handed it to him and he gave me his Driod. We exchanged numbers and he walked off, going in the opposite direction that I needed to go. I turned around, heading towards the section where my bike was, only to come face to face with Alison, “Oh shit, you scared me!”

“I’m so sorry!” she laughed as I gasped for air and held my heart, “Are you all right?”

“Yeah, I am now,” I said and smirked, “Wow, you’re like a mouse.”

“Sorry.”

“Put a bell around your neck,” I laughed and Alison shrugged her shoulders. We walked towards my bike and she took the time to look at it, I noticed that Jackson’s Porsche was gone.

“Really nice bike,” Alison said and I smirked and hopped on.

“Thanks, my Uncle and I started to build her two years ago, he passed away, so I finished building her last year,” I said and Alison smiled and nodded her head, “Took my forever to get the money for the parts, but I did it,” I smiled brightly.

“Well your work paid off, it looks amazing,” she said and I thanked her, “I’ll see you tomorrow?” Alison asked and I nodded my head, we also exchanged numbers and I watched as she walked towards her car as I adjusted myself, started my bike up and pushed myself back.

I headed home, told my Grandmother how my first day of school at Beacon Hills was, told her about learning about lacrosse, telling her about my classes, all the friends I made. She was happy to hear that I had a good first day.

“See, I told you living here wouldn’t be so bad.”