‹ Prequel: Castle Walls
Sequel: Love So Sweet

Tumble and Fall

14

“What are you wearing?” Justin asked as Ryan dressed for his first home game in November after being cleared first for contact and then his return to the game.

“Don’t ask,” Ryan answered as he pulled the shirt over his head. He had the bottom half of his gear on already as he reached for his pads.

“I already did ask though.”

“I lost a bet to Danni.”

“You lost a bet where you had to wear a Flyers shirt?” Ryan sighed and turned to face his locker and Justin laughed loudly. “You have to wear a Hartnell shirt? That is fucking great!”

“Shut up,” Ryan muttered. “It’s not funny.”

“It’s hilarious! Let me take a picture and send it to Danni. I bet she’s dying to see.” He grabbed his phone and Ryan turned to face him. “Say Hartnell down!” Justin directed him.

Ryan rolled his eyes but played along. “Hartnell down,” he smiled. Justin chuckled as he texted the picture to Danni.

Tell Nugie he looks so fucking good in orange! I am swooning!

“Your girlfriend is totally dickmatized,” Justin announced, tossing his phone to Ryan. “She has to be to find you attractive in that shirt.”

“Shut up,” Ryan retorted, tossing the phone back. He picked up his own phone to text Danni.

I love you.

I know. ;)
I love you too. Kick ass. That shirt is gonna give you extra good luck, I know it.


~*~*~


After the game, Danni waited for Ryan in the family lounge, giggling with Andrew Ference’s daughters. His wife Krista thanked her as the two girls bounded over to their father when he entered the room.

“You don’t have to entertain them you know, but thank you.”

Danni smiled. “They’re so adorable though. How could I possibly resist them?”

“You’re a teacher, right?”

Danni nodded. “Fifth grade. Actually, I believe Ava is at my school but not my classroom.”

“She loves her art teacher. Ms. Rodgers?”

Danni nodded. “Roni and I have become good friends. She’s great. Taylor has a crush on her but she keeps shooting him down. I think secretly though he is totally wearing her down.” She spotted Ryan as he walked in with Justin and her smile spread from ear to ear.

“Danni!” Justin yelled as he made his way to her, picking her up in a hug.

“Schultzy!” she returned with a laugh. “You were all sorts of awesome tonight. Big goal too.”

“I think Nuge’s t-shirt brought us extra good luck.”

“He has to wear it all month so we’ll see what happens.”

Justin started laughing and Jordan and Taylor made their way over. “He has to wear it all month,” Justin told them.

Ryan blushed as the other two started to tease him. “I’m never going to make a bet with you ever again,” Ryan told Danni.

“You’re too nice to lie,” Danni told him. “There will be more bets in our future.” She hugged him around the middle and Ryan curled his arm around her shoulder.

“You ready to go?” Ryan asked her. She nodded and they said goodbye to the others before heading out to his truck. He drove across town to her apartment and they changed for bed.

Danni slid into bed beside Ryan and let him wrap her up in his arms. She leaned up and kissed him. "You played good. It didn't seem like your shoulder bothered you at all."

"It felt good. I missed it."

"I bet," she smiled. "They needed you back with Sam out."

"Sam said you can come over and keep him company during the road trip next week."

"Well someone has to take care of him."

"Just don't fall in love with him."

"Never. I can't promise he won't though.”

“We already discussed how he can’t. He wants you to find him a girl instead.”

“I don’t know if Sam knows this, but has he seen his face? I love him, but that’s gonna be a tough sell.”

“You’ll make something happen.”

“I always do.”

~*~*~


November passed into December and before long it was April. Much to Ryan’s chagrin, she took him to the restaurant they met for dinner and she told him the truth, that they hadn’t skipped out on the bill. He was relieved and they set out for mini golf after. Ryan beat her and almost a year after the bet was made, in March of the following year, when the Flyers came to town, Danni wore her Flyers jersey, holding a sign proudly in the air declaring her love for number 93 for the Oilers. The oilers pulled out the win that night and Ryan had two goals, Danni cheering loudly for each of them. She made her way downstairs after the game and was shocked to find Claude waiting when she stepped into the hall.

“Hey, Danni,” Claude smiled. “How are you?”

She hugged him as she answered him. “I’m great. Sorry about the loss.”

“It’ll be okay. Before I forget...” He brought a sign out from behind his back and held it up to her.

“Will?” Danni asked. “Will what?” Claude shrugged and pointed her forward. She continued on, finding Wayne Simmonds next, who grinned and held up another sign.

“You?” Danni questioned. He shrugged and pointed her on. She found Sean a few feet away, who smiled as she approached.

“Danny said to tell you hello. The boys miss you.”

“I miss them too. He’s here Wednesday.”

“Are you still happy?”

“Yes, very happy.”

“Good. Don’t want Danny to hurt your Oiler in a few days.” Danni smiled and Sean pulled a sign from behind his back and held it up to her.

Marry.

Danni’s steps faltered as she put the three signs together. Sean smiled and nudged her forward. “Ryan’s around the corner. Don’t leave him waiting.” Danni nodded and took a step forward. As she rounded the corner, Ryan looked up and smiled, holding his own sign.

Me.

He dropped to one knee and held open a ring box as Danni walked up to him.

“Will you marry me, Danni?” he asked.

“Of course!” Danni shouted excitedly. She pulled Ryan to his feet and threw herself at him, hugging and kissing him all at once. Behind them they heard a chorus of shouts as his teammates poured out of the locker room to congratulate them. As they surrounded Ryan, Danni ducked out of the crowd and walked over to Roni and Jessie, her two closest friends of the other WAGs. They oohed and aahed over the ring as the guys all disappeared back inside to shower and attend to post game rituals.

“Ready to go home?” Ryan asked as he entered the family lounge forty five minutes later. Danni nodded and jumped to her feet. She waved as she pulled Ryan from the building.

“Where’s the fire?” he asked as she dragged him with her to his truck.

“I just want to be alone with you. I love you, Nugie.”

“I love you too.” He held the door open for her and Danni climbed into his truck, scooting over to the middle so she could sit beside him as he drove. Ryan smiled as he moved around the vehicle and climbed in beside her.

“It’s not crazy to know you found the one at almost twenty two, is it?”

“Well, I am older and wiser than you.”

“You’re twenty four.”

“Still older than you,” she smiled.

“Guess that makes you my old lady then.”

“Call me that again and see where it gets you.”

“Let’s go home and call our parents.”

“It’s one in the morning in Philly. We can call my folks in the morning.”

“It’s midnight at home for my folks.”

“Probably we should call them in the morning too.”

“So what should we do tonight then?” Ryan asked.

Danni smiled slyly. “I have ideas Mr. Nugent-Hopkins. Just wait until you see what cross of the bucket list next.”

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope y'all enjoyed all the cuteness. One of these days I'll write something for Ebs, probably Sam too. I have a secret love for this team.

**10/3/14: minor edit to update based on trades and a tiny continuity problem.