‹ Prequel: Castle Walls
Sequel: Love So Sweet

Tumble and Fall

3

Ryan woke up the next morning to an otherwise empty bed and he frowned. Then he thought he smelled blueberry muffins and climbed out of his bed. Justin and Danni sat across from each other, chatting away and eating muffins. Danni looked up and smiled at Ryan as he walked in, rubbing his hand through his hair.

“I like your bed head,” Danni announced. "I bet it makes the girls all hot and bothered." Ryan blushed and Justin laughed.

“You really don’t have a filter,” Justin chuckled.

“I don’t but come on, tell me it’s not the most adorable thing in the world. Look at how cute he is right now.” Justin swiveled in his seat so he was facing Ryan and his eyes swept over him.

“Oh yes, he’s just the cutest!” he squealed in a high pitched falsetto. He stood and pinched Ryan’s cheeks and Ryan swatted him away. Danni laughed.

“I made muffins,” she told him, offering him one.

“How did you...”

“I made Justin take me to the grocery store. He looked like he needed exercise, you know, on account of the ice cream last night.”

“Yeah, I’m so fat,” Justin added, lifting his shirt and patting his otherwise flat stomach.

“Are those real?” Danni reached out and poked him in his abs. “Yep, they’re real. You’re very toned."

Justin smirked. “I’m a professional athlete.”

“You’re a professional child. I’ll be the judge of the athlete part.”

“Come see me play tonight and I’ll show you. I’ll even let you wear my jersey.”

“You play tonight?” Danni asked in surprise.

Justin looked at Ryan and leveled him with a stare. “You didn't ask her? Sam told you to ask her.”

Ryan blushed. “Ask me what?” Danni asked. “What? Tell me, tell me, tell me!”

“Ryan was supposed to ask you yesterday if you wanted to come to our game tonight. You can sit in the box with him or I can get a ticket for you in the stands. Whatever you want.”

“Who are you playing?”

“The Kings.”

“Shut up! Hell yes I’ll go! Oh my God! I’m so excited. I have to get back to the hostel and check my bag!”

“You’re staying at a hostel?” Justin asked.

“Yeah; its the cheapest way to travel around this summer.”

“Aren't those kind of shady?”

“Some but most aren’t. The one I'm staying at is in downtown and it’s really great. They have personal lockers that I keep my stuff in which is cool. Anyway, I’m pretty sure I have my Richie shirsey with me so I can wear that.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! Back up. You’re going to cheer for the Kings?”

“I’m gonna cheer for Richie and Carts. I’ll probably cheer for you too.”

“Oh, okay. As long as you cheer for me too then. So you definitely need a ticket for the stands then. Let me see what I can do.” He wandered out of the room, leaving Ryan alone with her.

“Is that okay? If I go?” Danni asked. “I don’t have to go if you don’t want me too.”

“I want you to go; I didn’t know how to ask you.”

“Most people just open their mouths and words come out, Ryan,” she teased.

“Will you wear my jersey?” he asked shyly.

“I would but you know, Justin asked first.” She looked up at his sad eyes and reached for his hand. “If you kiss me though, I’ll wear yours.”

Ryan was sure his heart stopped but he leaned forward and caught her lips in a soft kiss. It only lasted a few seconds but it stole all the breath from his body. He swallowed hard and stared at Danni. She blinked a few times.

“That was really nice,” she said softly.

“Is nice good?” Ryan asked.

“Nice is really good,” she promised.

“If you two are quite finished,” Justin said, clearing his throat, “I called Miranda and she promised to leave a ticket at will call for you, Danni.”

“Thanks, Justin.”

“Also, you should just stay here. A hostel sounds sketchy and you’ve already spent two nights here anyways. If you get sick of Nuge, my bedroom door is always open.” Danni grabbed a muffin and threw it at Justin and he caught it easily, stuffing it into his mouth.

“I do need to head out actually,” Danni said. “I have plans this afternoon.”

“Do you want me to drive you?” Ryan asked.

“Do you mind?”

“No. Let me get dressed real quick.” Danni nodded and Ryan left, returning several minutes later in jeans and an Oilers t-shirt. “Ready?” he asked, as he pulled on his shoes.

“See you tonight, Justin!”

“Later, Danni! And I mean it; I expect you here after the game.”

“I can’t impose on you guys like that.”

“Its not an imposition. Besides, Ryan is having surgery in three days and we’re going on the road to end the season. He'll need someone here to take care of him. You can be his nurse.”

“You’re having surgery in three days?” Danni asked. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Well, it looks like you two have a lot to discuss. I’ll leave you to that,” Justin said with a smirk. “Good luck, Nuge.”

Danni followed Ryan to his truck and they got in, Ryan making the short drive to the hostel. He pulled into the parking lot and Danni turned to face him.

“Do you want me to stay?” Danni asked. “In Edmonton I mean.”

“I can’t ask you to stay; we barely know each other.”

“I have a job interview today," Danni blurted out.

“A job interview?”

“Yesterday, when I was walking around, I stopped in at this coffee shop and was flipping through the newspaper while I waited and I saw a want ad for teachers so I called and I have an interview today. It was a whim but it felt like I was supposed to see it, like I was supposed to call, that I am not completely out of my mind in wanting to stay here. So do you want me to stay?”

“Yes, I want you to stay....but I have no right to ask you that. We’re not....we're not together or anything.”

“Ryan, will you be my boyfriend?”

“You’re not supposed to ask that!”

“Why not?”

“Because I’m supposed to ask you to be my girlfriend."

“Says who? Did I miss the part where we slipped back in time to 1957?”

“How can you work here? You’re an American?” He asked, changing the subject.

“I guess I didn't mention that I have dual citizenship, huh? My dad is Canadian and he met my mom and they settled in Philly but his family is still here.”

“Here where?”

“Calgary.”

“Oh.”

“So if I want to work in Canada, I can. Easy peasy. Now, back to the other things we were talking about. If you’d rather we just date, see what happens, that’s fine too. I just need to know what you’re thinking, Ry.”

“I like you."

"I like you too."

"Would you maybe consider staying here at least until the guys get back from their road trip to help me?"

"I would."

"It's not too much to ask?"

"No."

"Will you stay with me and Justin? We actually have a third bedroom you can use."

"You don't want to cuddle with me anymore?"

"Yes I do, I just meant, if it made you more comfortable."

"You don't make me uncomfortable," she smiled. "Do I make you uncomfortable?"

"No."

"So, what now? Are we dating?"

"Yeah, we're dating. Is that weird, because I just broke up with a girl?"

"I don't think so. You said it had been over for awhile, right?"

"Yeah," Ryan replied sadly. "I feel like I'm asking too much of you when we've only known each other for two days."

"You're not and today is day three. Before you know it, it will be a week." She leaned across and kissed his cheek. "I better head in and change. My interview is in an hour."

"I'll pick you up at five."

"Okay."

"The guys are going to want you to go out after."

"That's fine if you want to go."

"They're not going to give us a choice."

Danni smiled. "I'll see you in a few hours." She hopped out of the truck and waved before she walked inside.