Status: Ongoing Series

Amsterdam.

I: Youth

"Elisa....Elisa Grey." I had been waiting for this moment. One of the top dance schools in England and out of all people who could have been here. There I was, walking before some of the most known dancers in the world. Everyone lined around the room, watching me. I could feel all the eyes just piercing through my slim frame. The feeling I had in this moment I had no words that could describe it. "So you must be, Miss Grey hm?" I nodded. Not knowing if I should speak or not. I felt so out of place. "Que music." I took a deep breath in, carefully placing my body into position Every noise around me just faded. It felt like there was no one else in the room except me and the sound of the music that filled it.

"Well I've lost it all, I'm just a silhouette,"

"A lifeless face that you'll soon forget,"

"My eyes are damp from the words you left,"

"Ringing in my head, when you broke my chest."

"Ringing in my head, when you broke my chest."

"And if you're in love, then you are the lucky one,"

"Cause most of us are bitter over someone."

"Setting fire to our insides for fun,"

"To distract our hearts from ever missing them."

"But I'm forever missing him"

(Song credits: Daughter - Youth)

I felt anger flash through my body as I danced, it felt like the world was spinning around me as I twirled through the room. My eyes closed, but my feet pointed; legs arched toward the sky. My whole body whisping around the room to the rhythm of the music. I felt weightless. So deep in my own world, before I just broke down to my knees. Tears of pain and longing and hurt flooding from my eyes and onto the floor. Feelings from every which place in my body pulling me down. Everything that I had been trying to forget, suddenly came flooding back and all I could do was cry. The person I needed the most was no longer in my life, and there was nothing that I could do to fix that.

"Elisa.. Elisa! Get up, you musn't fall down and burst to tears in the middle of a goddamn performance." I stood, the whole room watching, as the judge scolded me. I was too embarrased to look at anyone. I felt like running, running from everything and everyone....that was all I ever knew. I nodded once more, before removing myself from the room full of others as another persons name was called shortly after. I slid down onto a bench beside the studio door. Tears flooding down from my eyes.

"Hey, you alright?" A deep voice called out from behind the studio door. "I'm...I'm fine." I said whisking the tears away from my eyes, not glancing up even once. I didn't know who the guy was, but he seemed too interested in what was wrong with me. And I hated when people tried to pry into my feelings especially when I didn't even know the person. I had always been like this. He slid down onto the bench, right beside me the door closing behind him. I just sat there...silence making everything as awkward as ever. But I enjoyed it, silence was my "safe haven". All I could do was stare at the blank wall that layed before my piercing brown eyes. "...Well, you did great out there." I couldn't hear anything that he was speaking to me. My own mind was engulfing me. My thoughts raced, another tear sneaking its way from my eyes. Snap out of it Elisa. "Oh.. thanks I suppose." a unnerving smile making its way onto my face. I probably look a mess. His tone becoming softer "..Everyone was in awe at how gracefully you moved across the floor, like you were in your own world, y'know?"

Why the hell was he watching me so, so, intensefully. My mind raced with questions from every which place.I knew I was probably overreacting and overanalyzing things, and being very protective of myself even. But it was not a new habit of mine. I don't really like talking about it but, around 8 months ago. I caught my ex lover, with another girl. And yes it may seem like nothing but..either way. It hurt, and it hurt like hell. He was always there when I needed him. He kept me on my feet when I was down, always reminding me of how beautiful I was, and how graceful I was when I danced. And I missed that. And everytime I dance, he creeps into my mind, like a mouse does through an empty house.

"Thanks... It's so nerve-wrecking out there.." The tears that lay along my face, slowly drying. My voice still shaky, and trembling. "If you're upset about the whole falling down thing, don't worry I'm sure it isn't a big deal it happ-" His eyes were a deep blue they were as clear as day and I could feel his eyes locking on to mine. It was an immense feeling. I knew he wanted to know what was wrong but I was good at masking my feelings. My glance went from him, and down to my nude colored dancing flats. "Yeah, yeah. That's prob-...probably what happened..." I looked back towards him, faking a warm smile. "..Ready to go back inside?" his hand led out before me as he stood. Reluctantly I grabbed it, following behind him into the studio. Full of curious eyes following us as we made our way through the room. He made his way back to his group of friends. And I, by myself, followed my way back to my dance bag. I hadn't caught his name, but he seemed nice.

Dancer after dancer, song after song. It felt like it had been a million years that I had been sitting there. Some of the dancers could dance so well you could feel a chill rummage through your bones and down your spine. Others, were so nervous that they would crumble before they even began to dance. As time winded down, the room full of people started to fade. My name read off the list once more, telling me that they would contact me if they wanted me to dance for the more difficult of auditions. A deep, and long breath escaped from my mouth. As I began my way out of the door.