Status: Ongoing Series

Amsterdam.

II: Shallows

It had been almost a week, and they hadn't called me back. Quite frankly I was beginning to panic. Was I not good enough? Was it the fall? I sank deeper into the satin sheets messily covering my bed. The worry faded. And I just felt alone, the bed felt so empty. But nonetheless I still had to get up and go into work. I had been teaching younger children to dance since I was 16. It was a small studio downtown London. Not well known but it kept children busy and off of the streets

I dragged myself across the room looking into the mirror that stood atop my dresser. I slid my hand down my arms like Drew used to every morning. My eyes closed and the memories began to flood them. "I miss you.." my mouth forming the words. My eyes opened and reality set in, again. He wasn't here... and he hadn't been. Looking at myself in the mirror didn't help either, I was so insecure. I had caramel skin, with scars from years and years each one holding their own story..

My brown eyes, mysterious in there own way. And frizzy hair like any other black girl would have. I had thrown it into a bun the day before. But it must have fallen out in my sleep. Fuck! I had woken up late again. My alarm was going off at the time I was suppose to be LEAVING. Fuck my life.

*****

The place was filled with children as usual. A few girls running up to me like always, "Ms. Elisa! You have a viiiisssiiiitttoooorr." My eyes widened I had no idea who it could have been. A face standing near the desk met mine. It was one of the judges from the auditions. Me being a clutz, I almost tripped over some misplaced shoes trying to get to the front desk. I held out a hand to the woman who stood before me but she apparently didn't want to shake it back, because her hand never met mine.

"I am Vanna van der Swansen. One of the CEO's from Chamberland Dance Academy." I definitely knew who she was but the weird thing of it was, was why was she at the place at which I was employed. "Yes, yes. Very nice to be speaking with you" my palms were beginning to sweat. I was so underdressed for this "occasion". Her tone strong, yet inviting. "You are probably wondering why I am here, yes?" Before I could respond she was already speaking. "Well you have been chosen for the Grand Auditions of Chamberland Dance Academy" a slip of paper dangling from her two fingers. "Here is your ticket, you will be traveling to Amsterdam, Netherlands." she slid the ticket across the desk and I was almost too breathless to say anything. "You will be leaving in 4 days. Prepare yourself." her heels hitting the floor as she made her way to the door, she turned facing me "Oh, and goodluck, you will be needing it.

I stood there in awe, this was so surreal. In the CDA auditions only 20 out of the whole 180 dancers got chosen to be in the grand auditions, and I knew damn well I was not the best. People who auditioned for CDA would travel from all over the world, and just getting into the regular auditions was difficult. But there I was being personally invited by the one and only Vanna van der Swansen. She had to be in her early or mid fourties, yet her face was stunning to look at, and I mean stunning. Her shoes alone probably cost 10,000€ but good god. I was in awe when I saw her standing at the front desk of where I worked.

"Who was that?.." Reina worked behind the desk, she had worked at the studio for as long as I could remember, but I had never really gotten to know her. "Vanna van der Swansen..she's like rich..and owns part of Chamberland Dance Academy?" No matter how hard I tried, Reina just did not know who I was talking about. "Yeah... I'm not following." her face rushed with embarrassment, as my whole expression went blank. How could she not know who that was? "Yeah, I kind of figured." I laughed a bit and so did she, hers more for masking her embarrasment.

***

The day felt like it was going as slow as ever, watching the kids stumble over there feet, and giggle as they fell over and onto the ground. "Water break guys!" all the girls running towards the water fountain. Even though it was alot of work, keeping up with all the girls. It was nice knowing that they were having a good time. But deep down I was a bit nervous, I had alot of practicing before the grand auditions and only a few more days to make a whole new routine "This is going to be the death of me."