Robin

The Front of the Crowd

I tuck my staff back into its holder. I stare at the crowd that has gathered on the streets. My eyes stop at a girl in the front she is a little shorter than I am, but it isn’t by much. She is beautiful. She has long brown hair with green eyes. She had a light tan. I could stare at her all day. This is also the twentieth time that I saw her at a crime scene.

I don’t know who she is, but every time we defeat a bad guy I always see her there in the crowd. She is always in the front. I always wonder if she fought her way to the front, but I’m never able to watch the crowd. I think it would be something if I could somehow learn her name.

She smiles at me when she realizes that I was staring at her. I look over at Batman wondering what he is up to, but he is already gone. I groan knowing this isn’t the first time. I want to at least learn her name, but I can’t let her know who I am. I smile back and dart off in the alley. I quickly change out of my outfit.

I walk out and go across the street. I pay little attention to what is going on around me. I run right into the girl I was staring at earlier. I look at her nervously.

“I’m sorry,” she says just as nervously as I feel. “I didn’t see you there.”

“I think it was more of my fault,” I reply quickly.

She giggles. “I guess we both weren’t watching where we were going.”

“I guess so,” I laugh nervously.

She starts to walk back in her original path. I watch her walk a few steps before calling out, “Hey, how about I take you out for some coffee or something in a way to apologize for running into you like I did.”

She turns back to me. “You don’t even know my name,” she replies.

“Then what is your name?” I ask giving her a cunning smile. “I’m Robin.”

“Well, I’m Jasmine.” She gives me a beautiful smile.

“Well, Jasmine, will you join me to get some coffee?” I ask again.

She nods. We walk off to the nearest coffee shop. We walk into the doors with me holding the door open for her. I looked at her and smiled as we walked to the counter. We order our beverages, and I pay. It was that simple.

“So, Robin, how long have you been fighting crime?” She looks at me waiting for an answer.

“What makes you think that I fight crime?” I ask.

“That’s a typical question to make me think that you do for one thing. You seemed to act like a crime didn’t happen. Sure, you could have not seen the news yet, but I saw you walking out of an alley that was a dead end. You don’t look dirty enough to work at either of the buildings beside the alleyway. Your name is Robin,” she explains. “Besides, your uniform is sticking out of your bag. I just kind of guessed the rest.”

“You’re clever,” I reply looking down to see she is right. I stuff it back in. “How can I know that you’re not a villain?”

“I’m no such thing. I have proof. I have a good job working at the library. I love books. I also have no need to be a villain.”

The conversation went on. I would like to say that I got her number, but it didn’t. Talking to her was exciting, but it wouldn’t last with her. She said so herself. She would want a man who had a job that didn’t have as much danger that I put myself through. I could see her point, but I was still disappointed. I could only wonder if I got to see her again.

Jasmine stands up about to leave, but she looks at me for a second. “Don’t worry I won’t tell anyone about your secret.” She kisses me on the cheek.

I watch her walk for a little bit before calling out to her. “Will I at least get to see you again?”

She gives me a genuine smile. “Look for me in the crowd, and I’ll be there to watch you succeed.” Then just like that she out of the coffee shop and onto the sidewalk heading to her work or home, who knows?

I watched her drinking my coffee. The girl I had been fantasizing over has just walked out of my life. I had no reason to go after her now. She knew who I was, and she has feelings for me to. It’s just that I’m a hero to this town and she wanted assurance that I would be there every night without an injury of some sort. The best thing for her is to go on with her life knowing that she is safe and protected.

I get up and head back to my home wondering what it would be like if I was just a mechanic. Would she actually go for me instead of just saying she liked me? In another life, I guess. I walked through the door and went straight to bed. Who am I to stop her when it’s the right thing to do? If people found out who I was and that she was connected to me, they could go after her and she could get hurt or worse.

The next fight she was there in the crowd. She was standing in the front like every other time. She watched me and gave me a smile. I smiled back at her. That’s how it was. Every time, I was fighting a villain she would be there. Sometimes, I would see her in town. We wouldn’t say anything. We would just smile at each other and go on our way. At one point she got a boyfriend, but that didn’t stop her from showing up at the scene right when I succeeded.