Gun Moll

We all look for heaven and we put our love first

“How did last night go?” Maggie asks as we walk into my office the next morning.

“He knows I know,” I reply, “at least when it comes to what his family does.” I add after seeing Maggie’s eyes widen.

“What did he say?”

“Nothing.” I sigh, sitting on the edge of my desk, clutching the folder I’ve been carrying against my chest. “The rest of trip was in silent. He hasn’t spoken a word to me and has been avoiding my calls all morning.”

“It’s Saturday, maybe he’s sleeping in.” Maggie suggest. “Could be nothing.”

“I don’t think so,” I say just as Brad pops his head in my office.

“The new writer is here,” is the only thing he says before walking out.

“Come on, let’s meet the writer.” I sigh. Maggie shoots me a weak smile before the two of us walk out of the office and towards the crowd that’s forming right outside the conference room.

**

Dom

“How in the hell did she find out?” Treasure asks as she pours me a scotch on the rocks. “Did you tell her?”

“She’s a journalist,” I state, “she probably started snooping and found it that way.”

“Do you think she knows about the whole Lacey thing?”

“If she does, she hasn’t said anything,” a humorless chuckle escapes, “I should have told her from the beginning.The moment I knew I felt something for her, I should have told her.”

“So you’re admitting that in the almost two months you’ve known Giselle that you’ve fell for her?” A smirk dances across her lips. “I never thought I’d see the day you fall in love again.”

“And once again my father’s line of work is going to get in the way.” I spit bitterly before downing my drink and angrily placing the glass back on the bar top.

“Have you talked to her since she blurted out that she knew?”

“She’s been calling me all morning,” I state, “I’ve been ignoring her. She’s left a few voicemails, each one sounding pretty desperate.”

“And let me guess, you haven’t called her back?” Treasure scoffs, “look, you’ve got this amazing girl needing to talk to you after she found out that your dad is fucking Robert Starling, mafia king of Chicago. She wants to talk to you after finding out all of this. Talk to her dammit!”

“I hate when you’re right about something.”

A soft smile appears on her lips, “I know you do babe. But you know this Giselle means a lot to you. And you keep saying she’s nothing like Lacey, now it’s time to prove it not only to us, the people that love and care about you, but maybe to yourself as well.”

“I know she’s nothing like Lacey, I don’t need convincing.”

“You do,” Treasure confidently says, “you’re just too stubborn to admit it.”

I pay my tab and head out to my car, pulling my cell phone out of my pocket before leaning up against the hood of the car. I look at Giselle’s contact name for a good ten minutes before I bother hitting the call button. It only takes two rings before she accepts the call,

“Dominic, you okay?” Comes flying out of her mouth, sounding like one word. “You haven’t been answering my calls.”

“We need to talk,” I tell her, “can you meet me?”

“I’m just getting ready to go for the day, come get me and we can talk over lunch?” She suggests, “because you’re right, we need to talk.”

“See you in ten minutes?”

“Yea, see you in ten.” With a sigh, she hangs up; making me feel guilty for ignoring her today.

I pull up to The Gazette and instantly see two familiar faces talking to each other. Giselle’s red hair is the first I see followed by the sight of a tight red dress that without a doubt belonged to Lacey. They’re talking and even laughing; something I’m really worried about. I honk the horn twice, getting the attention of my favorite red head. A smile appears on Giselle’s lips as she says a quick goodbye to Lacey before walking over to the car.

“Hey Dom,” she says, a smile still on her lips, as she gets in the car. “Care to explain why you haven’t been returning my calls?”

“Not now, let’s get some food first, ok?” I ask, pleading almost. She nods her head and we take off to our usually eat spot. The park.

“I don’t have a problem with what your family does,” Giselle tells me after we got our hot hogs from the vendor, “honestly I don’t. What I have a problem with is why you kept it from me.”

“How was I suppose to know you wouldn’t freak?” I ask. “I didn’t want to scare you away.”

“It’s going to take a lot more than mafiosos to scare me, Dominic Starling.” She laughs. “I like you, I like being around you. I just want to know if you feel the same way and that you won’t keep things from me anymore.”

“I don’t plan on keeping anything from you again.” I tell her, despite deep down, I know that’s a bold face lie. “And I like being around you too. I don’t have to pretend to be someone I’m not when I’m around you.”

A smile appears on her lips, “so you’re still up for coming out to eat with my brother and his girlfriend next week?”

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” A smile of my own appears on my lips as we continue the rest of our lunch filled with random chatter and Giselle’s contagious laughter…

Lacey Miller

“You’re starting head writer’s young, huh Brad?” I ask as I walk into Brad’s office. “What’s with this Giselle girl? Giving you good head for that job?”

“Unlike you, Giselle doesn’t need to do sexual favors to get where she wants to go in life.” Brad replies, “if you actually read her writing you’d be able to tell why she’s head writer.”

“Did you know she’s been hang out with Dominic Starling?” I question him, a smirk forming on my lips.

“I’ve seen her get in his car a few times, it’s not a big deal.”

“His family destroyed this paper.”

“They destroyed it because of you.” His voice raises. “I only brought you back because you begged me and because we grew up together.”

“I’m sure those aren’t the only two reasons why I’m back,” another smirk forms on my lips as I walk into the room, swaying my hips seductively.

“Go Lacey,” Brad says sternly. “Go do your work. Don’t make me regret hiring you back on after my father fired both you and your brother…”

“Fine, I’ll go back to work,” I scoff, “I’ll show you who the better writer is. I’ll destroy Giselle if it’s the last thing I do…”

“Is this jealousy over her job or jealousy for her having Dominic’s full attention?”

“Go to Hell Brad,” I growl, “Dominic’s mine and so is her job; she’ll realize that soon enough…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Giselle
Dom

chapter title credit: This Is What Makes Us Girls by Lana Del Rey

Finally introduced Lacey Miller; Dom's ex and public enemy number one.

This might be the only original fiction I wrote that I never gave up on.