Gun Moll

In the land of Gods and Monsters

Giselle

“So give me the scoop!” Ester questions when I Skype her as I get ready for my date tonight, “who’s this guy that’s taking my baby sister on a date.”

“His name is Dominic and he lives in my building.” I tell her, “Ester I’m not even sure if it is a date. He could be just nice and decided to show me the town.”

“Sounds like a date to me.” She laughs, “is he cute?”

“I wouldn’t say cute,” I begin to say, “cute is like what you call a 12 year old.”

She rolls her eyes as she lets out an annoyed sigh, “fine, Gee, is he handsome?” She asks, emphasizing the word handsome.

“Very much so.” I reply, a smile creeping onto my lips. “He has an amazing accent and brown eyes that you can get lost in. He just seems so kind.”

“Aw it sounds like you’re crushin’ baby sister.” Ester coos, causing me to roll my eyes.

“I’m not “crushin’”.” I scoff, “I’m just describing him.

“Yea, sure.” She’s really getting obnoxious now.

“Ester, I’m going to go.” I tell her, annoyed with how she’s acting. “I’m going to go finish getting ready.”

“Have fun,” she smirks, “don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.” I just roll my eyes before signing off and get off my vanity chair to finish getting ready for my dinner with Dominic.

**

“So Boston huh?” Dominic chuckles as the waiter walks away with our drink order. Dominic takes me to a gorgeous Italian restaurant with an amazing ambiance. It’s classy but not too classy. I don’t feel underdressed for it, which makes me feel comfortable.

“Yea, Boston.” I laugh, “I’ve lived there most of my life and it’s home.”

“But you don’t have that typical Boston accent, it’s crazy.” He points out, “I’ve met so many people from there and their accents are so strong.”

“Both of my parents weren’t from the area.” I explain to him. “My mom was from California, same with my father. The only reason why they even moved to Boston is because my dad’s brother got in a bad car accident and needed care. Originally the trip was only suppose to be a couple months, they ended up staying. I was born there, my other two siblings weren’t.”

“That still doesn’t explain why you don’t have that accent.” He jokes.

“I grew up in a household that didn’t speak with an accent, so I guess I never really caught onto it.” I shrug. “Speaking of accents, you don’t have your typical American accent; where you even born here?”

“Actually yes,” he replies, “my father sent me off to boarding school in England when I was 5. I’ve lived in England most of my life, only moving back a couple years ago.”

“That’s harsh.” I say, “I can’t believe your father would just ship you away like that.”

“He wanted me to have a great education, why is that harsh?”

“I got a good education from a private school,” I point out, “you don’t need to be shipped off thousands of miles to get a good education.”

“Try telling that to my father.” He mutters and quickly an awkward silence sets in. Only interrupted by the waiter bringing me my Long Island Iced Tea and him his scotch on the rocks.

“So…” I slowly say, unsure of how the night is going to go from here. “What do you do for a living?”

“I manage one of my father’s night clubs.” He replies, “if you want, I can take you there after dinner.”

“I’m not exactly wearing club wear.” I chuckle, motioning to my little black dress.

“Trust me, you’re going to be dressed a thousand times classier than half the women that go there.” He assures me, “plus you look really beautiful in that dress.”

I can feel my cheeks heat up, “I’ve got work tomorrow.” I remind him. “Plus what kind of club is going to be poppin’ on a Monday?”

“Poppin’?” He questions me with a smirk, “that’s cute.”

“Hey, I’m not up on the lingo.” I laugh, “I don’t get out much. I was one of those college students that had her head in the books rather than going out and partying with friends.”

“There is nothing wrong with that.” He tells me, “I rather have a girl that can hold conversation better than she can hold her liquor.”

“You might be the first guy that can say that.” I tell him, “I was beginning to think all the good men in the world were slowly turning into horny mindless zombies.”

“I’m glad I restored your faith in men.” He smiles, “but back on the topic of work. What kind of job that brought you here?”

“Journalist job.” I simply reply, “but the paper I work for isn’t exactly that kind of paper I want to work for. Apparently they got in trouble a couple years ago. It sparks my curiosity a bit, but I’m not sure if I want to dig into their history. I might not like what I find.”

“I think if that kind of job has a history like that, you should probably leave.” He states, “I wouldn’t want to be involved with a business that has a shady past.”

“But to get a job at a better newspaper, I’m going to need experience.” I sigh, “And I’m sure if I write a story about my current job’s secret, I’ll get noticed by another, better, newspaper.”

“Or you might get involved with the wrong people.” He counters, “Giselle, I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“What’s journalism without a little risk?” I smirk, “it’s not like the paper got involved with the mafia and I’m going to end up sleeping with the fishes…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Giselle
Dominic

chapter title credit: Gods&Monsters by Lana Del Rey

comment&subscribe? Also, thoughts on the new banner? I'm not sure if I like it or not ha