Gun Moll

Now these towns, they all know our name

Giselle

“Ok why are you looking into The Gazette?” Is the first words out of Vincent’s mouth when all of us sat down for lunch at the coffee shop a couple buildings down from where we work. “No one has wondered what happened before, no one that I know anyway.”

“It’s just strange how a paper can lose creditability and no one second guess it,” I shrug, “curiosity is my besetting sin.”

“Curiosity also killed the cat,” Vincent reminds me, “are you sure you want to dig into this mess? You might not like the outcome.”

“You can’t tell me you’re not a tad bit curious about what happed years ago?” I ask him, “something bad happened and I want to know what? Maybe then we can get the paper back to where it was and we can get a decent paycheck.”

“You know I’m not in this for the money.” Vincent points out, “I’m in it for the stories.”

“But I’m sure you’d love to have only one job.” I counter. “Sure hacking could be fun but wouldn’t it be amazing not to rely on getting paid on the side.”

“So you think we can rebuild The Gazette if we dig into the past?” He asks.

“If we find out why this paper tanked, we’ll be able to help rebuild it.” I reply, “come on, don’t you want us to be the best paper around? Go back to the glory days?”

“Vincent, this’ll be good for our careers.” Maggie adds, “do you think you’ll get that high paying job for a big time newspaper with The Gazette in your former jobs?” As Vincent thinks over Maggie’s words, my phone rings. I excuse myself when I see my brother’s name pop up on the caller ID.

“Hey big brother,” I answer the phone, “how are you?”

“Guess who’s moving to Chicago in a couple months?” He asks with happiness dripping from every word. But deep down, it confused me.

“You’re moving to Chicago?” I question him. “What about the Navy?” I ask.

“I’m retiring this year or have you forgotten?”

“Yea but I thought you were going to remain in the Navy until they kick you out?”

“That’s before I met her.” He inform me, earning an eye roll despite him not being able to see it. “You’ll love her Gee, she’s really funny and she’s sweet.”

“You’re moving out here because of a girl?” I ask, disapproval soaking each word.

“Why do you make it like it’s such a bad thing?” He questions harshly. “Just because you can’t find love doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.”

“You are changing your career because of her!” I counter, “the Mark I know wanted to be in the Navy until they kicked him out.”

“Giselle, this girl is my soul mate,” he informs me, “I’m not going to lose her because of the military.”

“If she truly loved you, she wouldn’t ask you to leave.” I counter.

“She didn’t ask me to leave, I decided to.” He replies, “she got a job back in her hometown and we’ll be in living in Chiago by the end of the month; I thought you’d be happy to have family out there with you.”

“I am happy, Mark.” I assure him, “I just want to make sure you’re going to be happy.”

“I’ll have the girl of my dreams and one of my baby sisters, what more can a guy ask for?” I can envision the smile on his face.

“I guess you can’t ask for much, can you?” I agree, followed by an inward sigh. Something is fishy about this; I just don’t know what…

Dominic

As I’m sitting in the office, my dad walks in; closing the door behind him, “I was just informed that an old friend of ours is coming back to Chicago.” He informs me. I just nod my head as I go over the numbers in the books. “Lacey is coming back in town.” My heart stops as I lift my head to look at my dad, “I figured that would get your attention.”

“Why would she come back here?” I question, “she knows we’ll kill her if she steps foot in the city again.”

“You also know she has a thing for danger.” My dad counters, “apparently she got a job as a writer for The Gazette. Why would that lowlife Brad would hire her again is beyond me.”

“Let me guess, you want me to keep an eye on her?” I ask, earning a smirk to come across my dad’s lips.

“She’s more important than the knew girl at The Gazette,” He explains. “Lacey could be the end of us all…”
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: Bad Company by Bad Company

Just a filler and an introduction to a new character.

comment&subscribe?