Status: Formerly 'The Path of Self Destruction.' Sorry, I changed the name again ;p

Even the Sun Sets in Paradise

'I'm Not Getting In The Car With You'

My hands reached for the door handle, as tears slipped down my cheeks, only to remember Layton had locked the doors.
“Open the door,” I said expressionlessly, trying to keep my voice steady.
“It’s raining and pitch black,” he muttered.
“Layton, let me out the fucking car,” I cried, slamming my hand against the window in anger. Reluctantly, he unlocked the doors and let me out. The rain was getting heavier, and the late evening air made me feel worse, but anything was better than being in the car with that bastard. All this time I was feeling bad, thinking I’d done something wrong, when actually it was him keeping things from me. He knew how much it was eating me up not knowing who the father was, yet he didn’t even have the decency to tell me, despite knowing all along.
“Jenna wait!” Layton cried, rushing after me as I walked quickly along the empty lane. I carried on walking, so mad I couldn’t even look at him.
“Jenna!” he kept on and on and I could tell he was only a few footsteps behind me.
“Please listen to me,” he begged.
“What?!” I yelled, spinning round and forcing myself to look at him.
“I swear, I wanted to tell you sooner, but it was hard, I didn’t know how Ellis would react, and I was trying to get you alone but you were always with someone else. I can’t believe I let this happen, but at the time, I had no idea who you were, or how old you were, I promise you I wouldn’t have done it otherwise. Jenna, I could go to prison.”
“Just stop!” I screamed, “Stop with the excuses. I was so worked up over this; do you have any idea how many nights I’ve cried myself to sleep because of how much of a mess this is? Do you know how many times I blamed myself for the fact you can’t seem to be in the same room as me without going off in a hissy fit?!”
“I’m so sorry,” he sighed, and I could see the guilt in his eyes, but I didn’t care.
“Save it! You were right; I don’t wanna fucking see you ever again!”
“Jenna, I can’t leave you out here by yourself.”
“Yes you can.”
“How are you gonna get home?!”
“I’ll walk genius!”
“Look at you, you’re shivering already.”
“What the fuck do you suggest?!”
“I’ll drive.”
“I’m not getting in the car with you,” I said simply.
“You have every right to be pissed off with me, I’m not asking you to talk to me; I just want to make sure you get home okay.” I held his stare for a few seconds, before rolling my eyes and getting back in the car. We drove the whole way home in silence. I felt sick with anger and hurt. How dare he lie to me like that? Not just me, but Julie, Dave and Ellis, even Cyrus and Rowan were worrying themselves stupid over what had happened that night. All this time, he knew exactly what had happened but simply decided to keep it to himself. He was the father of my child but I didn’t see how this was ever going to work since I despised his very existence. What was it with people?! Every time one thing came together, another thing fell apart.

I woke the next morning feeling cold, tired and not at all refreshed.
“Morning,” Ellis muttered, throwing a bacon sandwich down in front of me as I walked into the kitchen.
“Thanks,” I smiled weakly.
“You working today?”
“This evening,” I told him. He nodded. Just as he sat down, there was an urgent knock at the door.
“I’ll get it,” he offered, wandering into the hall.
“Jenna!” he called a few seconds later, and I reluctantly got up. My heart skipped a beat as I realised who it was. Layton.
“Jenna please, can we talk?” he asked, a pleading look in his eyes. Ellis looked confused, so I figured Layton hadn’t told him.
“What do you not understand about me not wanting to see you again?!” I cried, knowing this was the last thing I needed right now. I wasn’t sure I could have a conversation with him without hitting him in the face.
“Guys, care to explain what’s going on?” Ellis asked, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Layton instantly took a step back, a look of fear crossing his face.
“I see you haven’t told him then,” I sniggered, deciding this was a perfect chance to get revenge.
“Don’t,” Layton said quietly, a pleading look in his eyes.
“Tell me what?” Ellis asked, looking Layton straight in the eyes.
“It doesn’t matter, okay?” Layton cried.
“I think it’s quite important actually,” I muttered. Maybe I was being spiteful, but right now I didn’t care.
“Alright, what’s going on?” Ellis persisted, starting to get agitated. I opened my mouth to speak but Layton immediately interrupted.
“Please don’t do this,” he begged.
“He’s gotta find out sometime,” I said simply.
“Please,” his fists clenched.
“Layton shut up and let her tell me,” Ellis demanded.
“Let’s just say I know who the father is now,” I mumbled, smirking at the look of terror on Layton’s face. Ellis’s eyes locked with Layton’s, his whole body tensing up in anger. Before I could even think, Ellis threw a punch at Layton square in the face.
“Dude, what the fuck?!” he cried, grabbing Layton by the collar and throwing punch after punch.
“You fucking cunt!” Ellis screamed. Part of me felt like Layton deserved it, but judging by the amount of blood gushing from Layton’s face, I figured maybe this was going too far.
“Ellis, stop,” I muttered, “He’s not worth it.”
“What on earth is going on?” Julie gasped, rushing into the hallway.
“Ask him,” Ellis frowned, releasing Layton with a shove. He turned to face me, pulling me into his arms. I realised I was crying, but I wasn’t even sure why. Maybe everything was just getting too much. I wasn’t sure if I could do this, not again. It was just not fun anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
Come on guys, we can get to 40 subscribers :D