Status: Formerly 'The Path of Self Destruction.' Sorry, I changed the name again ;p

Even the Sun Sets in Paradise

'There Was A ***ing Guy Trying to Get in Through The Back'

The next day we were supposed to be heading off to Spain. I didn’t really feel up to it with the pregnancy and everything, and it wasn’t exactly Ellis’s idea of fun either, so we both decided to stay at home in the end, allowing Auntie Julie and Uncle Dave to have some well-deserved stress-free time for themselves. They sounded disappointed, but we knew a part of them was happy about it. However they did give Ellis strict instructions to watch me twenty-four hours a day, make sure I was taking my vitamin supplements and eating healthily, and most importantly, not to have anymore house parties. I think for the first time, Ellis actually agreed no house parties was probably a good idea.
“You promise you’ll call us if there are any problems?” Julie panicked as Ellis drove them to the airport.
“Yeah, we’ll come straight back if you need us,” Dave agreed. “Stop worrying, we’ll be fine,” I promised, but Julie especially still looked worried. I hoped they would feel more relaxed once they got there.
“You trust me to look after Jenna right?” Ellis said.
“Trust you?!” Dave exclaimed, “After last time? You’re killing me son, you’re killing me.”
“To be fair, that wasn’t exactly my fault, I didn’t know that was gonna happen did I?” he laughed.
“Whatever you say.”

Mel came round that evening, as Ellis had gone to Layton’s, and they didn’t want me being left alone. We made a disastrous attempt at cooking a nice meal, but settled for soup in the end, since cooking clearly wasn’t our area of expertise.
“Do you ever think you and Layton will get together?” she asked curiously.
“No way,” I said firmly.
“Seriously?”
“Seriously,” I confirmed, “Like sure I love him to bits as a friend and as the father of my child, but he’s older than me, he’d want to do…stuff, and I don’t think I’ll be ready for that for a long while yet, after what happened with George, it just kinda puts me off. Anyway, he’s not the type of person I’d want to go out with, you know, he’s always getting drunk, he smokes weed and I’m pretty sure he does other drugs aswell. It pisses me off seeing people throw their lives away like that.”
“True, but maybe he’ll mature and sort himself out once the baby is here.”
“I really do hope so.” There was a sudden bang at the back door, making both Mel and I jump.
“Shit! What the hell was that?” I cried, and I felt a wave of panic rushing over me.
“I have no idea,” Mel muttered, apparently unfazed by it. She casually got up off the sofa and headed into the kitchen, grabbing the key to the back porch.
“What is it?” I asked again.
“Jenna calm down, it’s probably just the wind,” Mel laughed, unbolting the door and pushing it open.
“Shit!” she cried, immediately slamming the door and bolting it shut again.
“What?!” I gasped, feeling tears of panic well in my eyes.
“There was a man,” she choked, rushing back into the living room.
“What?” I cried again.
“There was a fucking guy trying to get in through the back. Jenna, ring the police or Ellis or something!” she demanded, running to the front door and locking it firmly. Pulling my phone out my pocket, I dialled Ellis’s number and quickly told him everything that happened.
“Fuck, lock all the doors and windows and stuff!” he cried, “Layton’s ringing the police, we’ll be there in a minute!”
Ellis stayed on the phone until he arrived, making sure we were alright. Thankfully, they arrived in just a few minutes, along with the police, but it felt like forever.
“Are you guys okay?” Ellis exclaimed as they rushed through the front door. Mel and I were both pretty much hysterical with fear by then. Although we didn’t say anything, we both feared that it was something to do with George. She was still the only person that knew about him ringing me a few weeks ago.
“What happened?” Layton asked, pulling me into his arms, instantly making me feel calmer.
“Layton, go get them a drink, would you,” Ellis muttered, sitting himself down on the sofa.
“Okay, could you tell us what happened?” the police officer asked. There were three altogether. The other two were looking round the house, making sure everything was secure.
“We were just talking and then there was a crash at the back door,” Mel explained, somehow managing to remain calm, “I went to see what it was and there was this guy outside the door, trying to get in.”
“Could you give me a description of the man?”
Layton came back in the room and gave us both some water, but I was desperate to find out who the man was. Despite knowing he was locked up, I couldn’t help fearing that it was George. If not, I was worried it would be one of his dodgy mates, like the guy I was certain had been following me. Mel’s description sounded nothing like George, or the stalker, but it was little relief. Layton sat down next to me, pulling me into his lap.

After a bunch more questions, the police left and we put a happy film on in an attempt to cheer us up. Mel seemed to calm down a bit, but I couldn’t get rid of the uneasy feeling in my stomach. Something was going on, and I didn’t know what. Ellis and Layton promised no harm would come to us now they were here, but I knew what George was capable of. I knew all too well, he’d stop at nothing to get his revenge. The thing that scared me more was that it wasn’t just me anymore; it was the baby too. I hated the thought of my baby growing up in an unstable environment. All I wanted was to move on with my life. I was trying so hard to forget, but George always found a way to get back into my life, a constant reminder that I would never be free.