Status: Formerly 'The Path of Self Destruction.' Sorry, I changed the name again ;p

Even the Sun Sets in Paradise

'You're Not Going To Take My Baby Away Are You?'

The holidays passed so quickly, and I was pretty disappointed when school started, not to mention the fact that everyone would start to find out I was pregnant. It was beginning to show, plus the constant cravings, trips to the bathroom and mood swings were a giveaway. It did worry me how people would react, but I tried to stay calm for the sake of the baby. Mel and Layton agreed it was best just to be honest if anyone asked; they were going to find out eventually.

After Dark were celebrating the release of their album, something they’d been looking forward to pretty much ever since they got the recording contract. They were with a well-known record label, so I knew it wouldn’t be long now until they were famous.
“So are we gonna hit up the nightclubs in town?” Layton asked as we sat in the kitchen over dinner.
“Nah, we’ll have a party at my place,” Cyrus decided.
“But what about Jenna?” Rowan panicked.
“Don’t worry about me; I don’t really like parties anyway,” I smiled.
“Not surprised after last time,” Cyrus laughed. I was actually relieved I wouldn’t have to go to the party. After all, I didn’t really feel comfortable at parties anyway, not to mention last time’s mishap.
“You can come round mine if you want,” Mel suggested, and I nodded, deciding anything was better than staying in the house alone.

Much to our dismay, just as we were all heading out the door, my social worker pulled up.
“Jenna sorry, have I come at a bad time?” Lorraine asked worriedly.
“No, err…it’s fine,” I smiled, “Come in.”
“Do you want us to wait?” Ellis said quietly.
“Nah, I’ll be okay, you guys go, have a good night,” I urged, shoving them out the door. They smiled, each giving me a kiss on the cheek before piling into the car and driving off.
“Sorry about that,” I sighed, “Can I get you a drink?”
“No worries, yeah, could I have a cup of tea please?” I nodded, boiling the kettle.
“So is it alright if Mel is here too?” I asked worriedly, sitting myself down on the sofa.
“It should be, yes,” Lorraine nodded.
“Okay.”
“Are your aunt and uncle not around?”
“No, they’ve gone out for a meal with some friends tonight.”
“Lovely.” I spent the next few minutes answering all the routine questions, but I had an unsettling feeling in my stomach, because I knew this wasn’t just a routine visit.
“Anyway, I came because of the baby,” Lorraine said, her tone suddenly turning serious, “What are you planning to do?”
“What do you mean?” I asked, my stomach churning.
“Are you putting it into care?”
“No,” I gasped, “It’s my baby, I’m keeping it.”
“Okay, it’s just I have to be sure this is the best option for you and the baby.”
“Of course it is,” I said, defensively placing a hand over my stomach.
“Do you feel ready to care for a baby, emotionally?”
“Lorraine, I’ve got through everything else, I can get through this too.”
“What about the dad? Are you and him together?”
“No,” I sighed, and I could just tell she disapproved.
“Who is he?”
“Layton, the one that was here a minute ago,” I explained.
“Jenna, he’s nineteen. You know what he’s done is illegal?”
“It’s not,” I protested, “He didn’t know I was under sixteen. The party was when I first moved here so he had no idea who I was.”
“But isn’t Layton the one that smokes and drinks and does drugs?” she asked, her tone deadly serious. I hesitated, unsure of what to say. I knew how the social system worked, and I couldn’t risk my baby being put into care.
“Yes, but he’s sorting himself out. He’s going to be a good dad to the baby, trust me.”
“He may say that but it’s easier said than done.” Truth was, Layton hadn’t said he would sort himself out, but I was sure he would, at least I hoped so.
“Layton is a good guy really. Obviously he and I got off to a rough start, but ever since we sorted things out, he’s literally been waiting on my hand and foot. He hasn’t left my side.”
“So you’re friends now?”
“Best friends,” I insisted.
“Does he know about what happened with George?”
“Yes.”
“How did he react when he found out?”
“We both cried, and then he hugged me until I fell asleep.”
“Do you think he’ll be a good father?”
“Of course. It’s all he talks about; he can’t wait.”
“Okay,” she sighed, “Well standard procedure calls for me to speak to him anyway, but because of the drug abuse, things may be more complicated.”
“You’re not going to take my baby away are you?” I asked nervously. Lorraine sighed, touching two fingers to her temple.
“I’ll do everything I can to make sure that doesn’t happen Jenna. I know how much this means to you, and I have no doubt you’ll be an amazing mum. But I do have a duty to protect both you and the baby.”
“I know,” I sighed, “But please try; I really can’t have my baby taken away.”
“Of course I’ll try. As you know, children are only taken away in extreme circumstances. Let me explain it to you; you live with your aunt and uncle, both of whom are extremely capable of looking after a child, you’re very mature for your age and I’m certain you’re capable of looking after a child too, your aunt and uncle are in a good position financially, and no one in this house has a criminal record. That all goes in your favour. The thing that is likely to cause a problem is Layton’s drug abuse, however, providing he can sort himself out, everything should be fine. If he doesn’t, I still doubt the baby will be taken into care; it’s more likely that you will be given custody. The only thing here that is a cause for concern is the fact that you’re a teen mum, and also your emotional wellbeing.”
I nodded, feeling slightly more reassured and determined to prove that emotionally, I was capable of looking after a child. After all, I trusted Lorraine, and I believed her when she said she would do everything she can to ensure I could keep my baby.
♠ ♠ ♠
38 subs, you guys are the best <3

Please help me get to 40!