Status: Formerly 'The Path of Self Destruction.' Sorry, I changed the name again ;p

Even the Sun Sets in Paradise

'I Think Maybe I'm In Love With You'

Two hours later, Layton and I were sat in a restaurant a short walk away from our hotel. After a hell of a lot of arguing, he finally persuaded me to let him pay. I was reluctant, but it was nice finally getting to spend some time alone with him. I missed spending real quality time with my best friend. Although I was glad he had a girlfriend he was happy with, I couldn’t deny that part of me was jealous. Ever since I moved here, jealousy had been a real problem for me. I don’t even know why; maybe I just was so glad to have people that cared for me that I held onto them a bit too tight. At least he was here now. We talked about the baby a lot, continuing the never ending debate on what to call her. I loved how the pair of us argued like an old married couple. I still couldn’t help but think it was adorable seeing how much Layton cared about the baby. Unsurprisingly, he didn’t strike me as the type of person who would be too great a dad, especially now his career was finally coming together, but he was probably more excited than I was. I was so glad that after all the arguing and hating, we finally got on well. It was nice to have someone who was going through this with me that I could talk to so easily.
“Can we go for a walk?” I asked Layton excitedly as we left the restaurant.
“A walk? At this time? Jenz, are you mad?”
“Please,” I begged, “It will be like in the movies when they go on a midnight stroll in Paris.”
“Oh my,” he laughed, “Remind me why I’m friends with you again?”
“Cos you love me,” I joked. He smirked, reaching for my hand, causing my head to go fuzzy. I wasn’t sure why that happened, but he somehow tended to have that effect on me. We walked for a while in silence; not awkward silence but that comfortable thought-filled silence. In that moment, I felt like I couldn’t get any happier. I was in my favourite place in the world with my favourite people in the world. It was incredible to think how much my life had changed in just a few short months. Despite everything that had happened in the past, I was lucky for what I had now. I was just waiting for the moment it all came crumbling down.
“So how did you persuade Maci to let you come?” I asked, unable to resist. He let go of my hand, avoiding my gaze and staring down at the ground.
“We kinda…broke up.”
“Oh my God, are you okay? What happened? Why didn’t you tell me?”
“You didn’t ask,” he forced a laugh, “I’m fine, I just don’t want to be with her anymore.”
“Why not?” I persisted, shocked at his sudden change of heart. He seemed to be really in love with her, so I was confused why he seemed so unfazed by it being over. He stayed quiet for a few seconds, but those seconds seemed like hours. He reached out and took my hand again.
“Because I think maybe I’m in love with you,” he said simply.
I felt my heart begin to race and a smile lit up my face. I wasn’t sure whether I’d heard him right.
“What?” I asked.
“You heard,” he smirked and I hated how he said it with such confidence, somehow knowing I felt the same before I knew it myself.
“Like what? I’m so confused. Are you serious?”
“Of course I’m serious. I’m in love with you Jenna. I have been for a while and I don’t know how a smart girl like you could possibly have missed it. I love everything about you; you’re so crazy and fun and being around you is a breath of fresh air. You have the ability to irritate me like hell, yet somehow it only makes me love you more. You’ve been through so much and I think you’re so brave. I hope I can learn to be as strong as you someday. I love you because you make me a better person; you make me want to make something of myself. I love you Jenna and I want to be with you,” he said, “But I didn’t know if it was a good idea because you’re only young, even though you act so much older, and you’re Ellis’s cousin, so I tried to forget about it; that’s why I gave it another go with Maci but that didn’t work because…well…she’s not you.” If I could have froze that moment and kept it forever then I would have. It was one of those perfect magical moments that you think only happen in the movies but now it was real. I loved him too. Of course I did, how could I not? He was my world and I knew for a fact I couldn’t live without him. He knew me better than anyone. Without another thought, I wrapped my arms softly round his neck and placed a kiss on his lips. Even though I didn’t realise it until then, I felt as though I’d been waiting for that moment forever.
“I love you too,” I told him as he pulled me into a hug; a tight reassuring hug that made me certain he’d be there with me through everything, that he would never leave me, and that everything would be fine as long as he was there.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eeeeeeek about time, right? So Jenna and Layton are together at last! I've realised I've been neglecting this story so much recently, and I also realised I started writing it almost a year ago now, so I'm going to hurry up and get it finished. I'll try to update two or three times a week from now on, although I can't make any promises. Thank you to all my loyal readers, commenters and subscribers. I'm so happy people have actually read this.

I think there's maybe about fifteen chapters left now, so we're nearly there :D