Status: Formerly 'The Path of Self Destruction.' Sorry, I changed the name again ;p

Even the Sun Sets in Paradise

'Why Would I Want To Do That?'

Once everyone was downstairs, we all had a fairly light breakfast, just cereal or pastries, in order to save room for Christmas dinner. Julie refused to let us open our presents until after dinner, but I preferred it that way because it was a nice idea having everyone be together. Instead, we sat in the living room chatting. I found out about everyone’s favourite Christmas memories and the best presents they had ever gotten, but surprisingly that didn’t make me feel sad. Sure, I’d missed out for many years, but I knew this year would more than make up for it. I knew that everyone was going all out this year in order to make Christmas perfect for me, and that meant the absolute world.

Just after half past one, the doorbell rang. Ellis went to get it while Amber and I quickly finished setting the table. I heard the familiar voices of the guys and felt butterflies in my tummy when Layton engulfed me in a warm hug. Rowan and Cyrus were there too, and Mel arrived shortly after. They each brought with them loads more presents. Mel was introduced to Amber, but the guys had all met her before. Amber worked as an interviewer for Kerrang magazine and had interviewed the band. That’s how she and Ellis had originally met. Dinner was delicious and everyone got on so well. Surprisingly, there was no tension between Layton and I. Amber was so kind and cheerful and it seemed like everyone got along with her. It was nice to know that one of the guys’ girlfriends actually got on with me.
“Can we open presents now?” Ellis asked as we all finished our dinner. Auntie Julie rolled her eyes and laughed.
“Is that all you can focus on?” she sighed, but then agreed. Everyone at the table leapt up excitedly, fighting for seats on the sofa. There were nine of us all together, so some of us had to sit on the floor. We wasted the next five minutes arguing over who would open their presents first before Dave finally got fed up and made everyone be quiet. He reached under the tree and picked up the first present he could find.
“This is for Ellis, and it’s from Jenna,” he read the label before handing it to his son. I smiled, knowing that Ellis would love it. Ellis excited ripped away the packaging to reveal the new set of drumsticks he’d been wanting. His face lit up and he pulled me into a tight hug, clutching the drumsticks tightly like a little kid. It took us just over an hour to get through the rest of the presents. Amber got Ellis tickets to see one of his favourite bands. I had gotten Mel some best friend bracelets and some Converse because I knew how much she wanted some new ones. She got me some more clothes for the baby, some earrings, and a couple of albums I had been wanting. I got the guys band t-shirts and they all pretty much got me things for the baby or gift vouchers to my favourite shops. We had all clubbed together and got Julie and Dave a spa break, as a thank you for everything they always did for us. All the guys and Mel had a good relationship with their parents, but Julie and Dave were like a second mum and dad to everyone.
“We all have one more present for you Jenna,” Mel smiled when we had opened nearly all the gifts. I giggled, covering my face with my hands as I felt all eyes on me. Julie handed me a small blue box which I opened carefully to reveal a silver Pandora bracelet. On it were six charms.
“Oh my god,” I gasped.
“Look at the charms,” Mel instructed, “The Eiffel Tower one is from Cyrus which obviously represents Paris, the bird one is from Rowan which represents you getting your first job, it represents freedom. The infinity symbol is from me, that represents our friendship. The anchor is from Ellis, representing your new home, how you’re anchored here now. The guardian angel is from Julie and Dave, that represents safety and security, how you’ve got through everything in the past, and the stork carrying the baby is from Layton, that obviously represents the pregnancy.” I felt my eyes fill with tears as I looked down at the bracelet that represented the key events in my life. I gave everyone a hug and thanked them before sitting back down next to Layton. He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me nearer to him, and I felt that all too familiar feeling of butterflies in my tummy.
“Alright, I have one last present,” Ellis said loudly, “This one’s for Amber.” We all looked up excitedly, Mel and I giggling to each other because of how adorable it was. Amber blushed, much like I did when I felt all the attention on me. Ellis took out a small wrapped box, about the size of my palm. He handed it to Amber but stopped her from opening it.
“First, I need to ask a favour,” he smirked and Layton gave him a knowing look. He was clearly in on it.
“Okay,” Amber agreed, a nervous smile playing on her lips.
“Will you,” Ellis started, “Be my girlfriend?” Mel and I both squealed quietly, looking expectantly at Amber whose face had lit up.
“Why would I want to do that?” she smirked, and Ellis rolled his eyes, pulling Amber into his lap as he began to tickle her.
“I’m joking, I’m joking,” she laughed, “Yes, I’ll be your girlfriend.”
“Thank fuck, that present cost me a fortune,” he laughed, motioning for her to open it. Carefully, she pulled back the paper and opened the box to reveal a silver pendant necklace engraved with doodles and the words ‘I love you.’ A massive smile lit up her face as she planted a kiss on his lips, before he carefully put the necklace on for her.
“Thank you,” she grinned, “It’s perfect.” And it was. Everything was perfect. Suddenly I didn’t feel like I’d missed out, because I knew my life now made up for everything that had happened in the past. That was the funny thing about people and the power they had. It was sick how one man had the power to break me so effortlessly. But it was beautiful how these people had the power to put me back together again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Since it's nearly the end now, I just want to get some feedback from you guys.

Who's your favourite character and why?
Do you find any characters particularly interesting or intriguing?
What's your favourite chapter and why?
What's your favourite and least favourite thing about the story?

Thanks. I'll post these questions in the next chapters aswell <3