Status: Formerly 'The Path of Self Destruction.' Sorry, I changed the name again ;p

Even the Sun Sets in Paradise

'I'll Be There As Soon As I Can'

I woke in the middle of the night shaking, crying from the nightmare I had just had. I reached out to the bedside table, fumbling around for my phone. The light from my phone lit up the room just enough to see Mel fast asleep next to me. Suddenly, a thought struck me; I had to make sure Brooklyn was okay. I leapt to my feet, rushing down the stairs, barely able to stand because I was shaking so much. Nervously, I pushed open the door to Brooklyn’s room. The light next to her cot lit up the room just enough for me to tell that the cot was empty. I let out a sob, my heart thudding as I glanced across the room. On the chair by the window, there was a male figure. I couldn’t make out who it was, but he was holding my baby. Crying even more now, I reached out for the light switch, mustering all the courage I had to see who it was.
“Layton, oh my god,” I gasped, collapsing to the floor when I realised who the person was.
“Are you okay? Shit, what’s wrong?” Layton cried, placing Brooklyn back in her cot before rushing to my side.
“Jenna talk to me,” he pleaded, sitting down next to me as he pulled me into his arms. I couldn’t even speak; I hadn’t cried that much in a long time.
“Hey, it’s okay, I’m here,” he soothed, stroking my hair as he tried to calm me down.
“I thought you were him, I thought it was George,” I sobbed. Layton’s grip on me tightened as he pulled me closer.
“It’s okay. It’s just me. Brooklyn’s safe. You’re safe,” he reassured.
“I had a nightmare…he was here…he hurt her,” I choked, struggling to get the words out. My breathing was heavy and uneven, and I was beginning to feel dizzy. Layton sighed.
“Jenna, look at me,” he ordered. I couldn’t process what he was saying.
“Jenna, look at me right now,” he repeated, grabbing my face with his hands, forcing me to look him in the eye.
“You’re okay. The baby is okay. George can’t get to you,” he promised me, wiping my tears with his thumb. “You need to breathe.” Slowly, I tried to take in his words and make sense of what he was saying. He gripped my hand and I took a deep breath in, followed by a deep breath out, trying to compose myself. I didn’t want to wake up the rest of the house.
“You’re doing so well,” Layton soothed, “You’re okay. Everything’s gonna be okay.”
“Can I hold her?” I whispered. Layton got to his feet and picked up Brooklyn from her cot, placing her softly in my arms. I held her close to my chest, planting a kiss on her forehead as I rubbed her back. Layton sat down next to me again, wrapping his arm around me. I calmed down after a few minutes, feeling better now I knew that Brooklyn was okay, and knowing Layton was here too.
“I love you,” I whispered, leaning closer to Layton.
“I love you more,” he sighed, planting a kiss on my forehead.

A month later, I was home alone with Brooke. I avoided being alone as much as I could, but Julie and Dave were away for the weekend, the guys were performing a huge afternoon show at the Brighton Centre, and Mel had gone out with her mum for her birthday, so I didn’t have any other choice. It was only just starting to get dark outside, and the guys reckoned they would be back before 7.30pm. I was sat on the sofa with Brooklyn in my arms, giving her a feed when my phone started to ring. It was Layton. Carefully, I balanced Brooklyn in one arm and answered the phone.
“Hey, are you okay?”
“Jenna, where the hell are you?” Layton asked, his voice panicked. I felt my own heart begin to race. Something was wrong.
“I’m at home, why? What’s going on?”
“I need you to make sure all the doors and windows are locked. Keep the baby with you. Don’t answer the door to anyone, okay? I’ll be there as soon as I can.” I felt tears of panic cloud my eyes as my legs turned to jelly beneath me.
“Layton, what’s happening? What’s going on?” I cried, glancing nervously over my shoulder, assuming the worst.
“Jenna just listen to me!” he yelled, “Do exactly what I said. I’ll see you in a minute. I love you okay?” I opened my mouth to respond, but by the time I could get the words out, he had already hung up. Tears were blurring my vision now and I could barely stand up, but I knew I had to do what Layton said. I had to keep Brooklyn safe. Still clutching the baby close to my chest, I found my way to the front door and double locked it, sliding the chain across aswell. When I turned around, what I saw made my heart stop. It was too late.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ahh cliff hanger. Decided to post another chapter because I haven't posted in so long. Two chapters left until the end :D