Status: Formerly 'The Path of Self Destruction.' Sorry, I changed the name again ;p

Even the Sun Sets in Paradise

'Wow, You Really Were Pissed The Other Night'

The next day, I got home from school to find the guys had taken over the living room. Ellis and Layton were furiously playing a game on Xbox, although they had resulted to kicking and shoving to try and put each other off. Rowan was sitting cross legged on the floor, a cute boyish grin on his face as usual and Cyrus was slouched across the sofa.
“Hey gorgeous,” Cyrus called across the open plan living/kitchen area as I put my bag down on the counter.
“Dude, I mean it; back off,” Ellis said simply, not taking his eyes off the television screen.
“Sorry,” Cyrus laughed. I poured myself some orange juice before sitting myself down next to Rowan on the floor.
“Hey, how was school?” he asked calmly.
“It was okay thank you. How was…whatever it was you were doing?”
“Work,” he filled in, smiling cheerfully.
“Sure looks like work to me,” I joked, motioning to the television screen.
“Hey, don’t dis Call of Duty, this shit is serious stuff,” Ellis explained. I sat with the guys for about an hour, but then Auntie Julie got home from work so I helped her make dinner. It was a relief to be honest, because there was only so long I could force laughter and make conversation before it got exhausting. I wasn’t sure why, but I found socialising both physically and mentally draining.
Despite being so loud and boisterous around the guys, Layton was still being rather quiet and withdrawn around me. I couldn’t help wondering if he had some sort of issue with me. Or maybe I was just overthinking it.

“There we go, dinner’s in the oven. It should be about twenty minutes. Thanks for your help love,” Julie smiled, giving me a kiss on the cheek as I went and sat down next to Layton. He immediately paused the game, tossed the controller to Rowan and went outside.
“Looks like it’s his time of the month again,” Cyrus joked, rudely grabbing the controller off Rowan. I frowned, getting up and following Layton outside. I don’t know where my sudden burst of confidence came from, but it was really bothering me now.
“What’s up with you?” I asked, starting to get frustrated.
“Nothing,” he said simply, lighting a cigarette. I immediately took it from his hands and put it out.
“What the hell is your problem?!” he muttered angrily. I took a step back, my heart pounding with fear. Why did I think this was a good idea? Taking a deep breath, I composed myself, determined not to let my past control me like this anymore.
“I think you’re the one with the problem,” I frowned.
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
“Um…you’ve avoided me ever since I got here, you can’t stand to be in the same room as me, and when I try to talk to you, you go off on one at me. Tell me, what the fuck is your problem?”
“My problem is that you’re fucking fifteen! You’re Ellis’s cousin.” I paused for a moment, trying to work out the relevance.
“Your point?” He gave me a puzzled look, staring at me coldly for a few seconds.
“Wow, you really were pissed the other night,” he muttered, shaking his head as he stormed back inside.
What the hell had just happened?! I was shocked, confused and totally dumbfounded. I instantly panicked, wondering if I had said something that upset him. Thing is, I didn’t recall even talking to him at the party. I saw him around a couple of times but I don’t remember us actually having a conversation. Maybe he’d confused me with someone else. Or maybe I was so drunk I had just said something really nasty but couldn’t remember what. Words couldn’t describe the hate I felt for the idiot that spiked my drink.
As usual, my mind started overthinking absolutely everything and I began to feel majorly worried. I rushed back inside and into the living room. After sitting silently for a few minutes, desperately trying to muster up some courage, I asked Rowan if I could talk to him a minute, trying my best not to sound too worked up or urgent.
“Sure,” he smiled, placing the controller down on the sofa for the rest of the guys to fight over.
“What’s up?” he wondered as I led him out into the hallway.
“On Saturday, did anything happen with me and Layton?” I asked worriedly.
“Like?” he frowned, a puzzled expression on his face.
“Well…did we get in an argument or something?”
“Not…that I…know of,” he stammered, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.
“Are you sure?” I pushed.
“Yeah. I didn’t even see you guys talking to be honest, why?” I sighed, feeling a lump appear in my throat.
“Hey, what’s wrong?” he cried, a sudden worried expression on his face. I opened my mouth to try and explain but instantly started crying.
“I just don’t…” I trailed off, not wanting to make a complete idiot of myself.
“Aww, come here,” Rowan sighed, wrapping his arms around me. We stayed like that for a minute, until Julie called us for dinner. Rowan held me at arm’s length, his hands placed firmly on my shoulders.
“We’ll talk later okay,” he promised, “But don’t you worry babe, everything is fine, we can sort it out.” I nodded as he pulled his sleeves down over his hands and gently wiped the tears from my cheeks.
“Thank you,” I smiled as we headed into the kitchen to grab some food. I felt so grateful for Rowan. He was so sweet and caring, and I found it hilarious that a boy as cute and innocent as him was in a rock band with a bunch of freaks like Layton and Cyrus.
♠ ♠ ♠
Going away on Wednesday for a week, so I'll try to post another chapter before then, and another one as soon as I get back.

Please comment, comments motivate me guys <3

Ella xxxx