Status: Formerly 'The Path of Self Destruction.' Sorry, I changed the name again ;p

Even the Sun Sets in Paradise

'Don't You Think He's Funny?'

A few days passed, and I thankfully heard nothing more from George. I constantly reminded myself that he was locked away and couldn’t get anywhere near me, but it didn’t stop me from looking over my shoulder every five minutes. Mel was getting suspicious, and I could tell everyone else was too.
“Jenna, can you come down here?” Auntie Julie called up the stairs. I shut down my laptop, shoving it under the bed and wandered downstairs.
“Lorraine,” I gasped, as I walked into the kitchen and saw my social worker sitting patiently on a stool at the counter.
“Jenna, how are you?” she smiled warmly.
“I’m okay thanks, you?”
“I’m fine thank you. Sorry for not warning you, I just thought I’d drop in and see how you are.” I nodded, following Auntie Julie as she led us both over to the sofa. Lorraine had been working with me ever since the truth came out about the abuse. She was a young fair haired woman and I had grown to like her. She had stuck up for me in court, in fact she was one of the few people that had. I guess it was kind of her job, but I appreciated it nonetheless.
“How are you settling in here then?”
“Great,” I grinned, although I wasn’t too sure. I loved living with Auntie Julie and Uncle Dave; they were so nice and I was eternally grateful. Ellis and Rowan and Mel were obviously amazing aswell. Cyrus was being a bit of a douche as usual but I’d learnt that I’d simply have to get used to it. However, Layton was still being blunt with me, and there was of course the phone call from George, and I still felt ashamed for getting drunk the other night, even though it wasn’t technically my fault. I figured that Lorraine didn’t need to know about that though. I couldn’t risk being put into a safe house again.
“Good, how is school? Have you made any friends? Are your lessons okay?”
“A few. Lessons are fine, I’m happy with all my classes. I just find it difficult to concentrate sometimes,” I sighed.
“Have you spoken to a teacher about that? Maybe they could help you,” Lorraine suggested.
“Miss Jonas knows everything that happened…but I think it’s just gonna take time.”
“Yeah, it will do. Anyway, I brought with me some brochures,” she told me, reaching into her bag, “They’re for different counselling agencies.”
“I don’t need a counsellor,” I said quickly. The idea of talking to someone about everything that had happened made me cringe. I wasn’t prepared to share my thoughts with anyone.
“Now a lot of people do say that, but it does help in the long run. The ordeal you had to experience was anything but easy, and it’s will probably stay with you for the rest of your life. It’s very difficult trying to cope with these feelings and emotions all alone,” Lorraine explained.
“I’m not alone, I have lots of people,” I reassured.
“Sometimes it’s easier to open up to someone who’s more removed from the situation.”
“I don’t know,” I shrugged, chewing nervously on my lip.
“I really think it would benefit you, why don’t you just give it a try?”
“Alright fine,” I agree, deciding it was easier just to go with it rather that argue.
“Well done, that’s a very sensible decision,” Lorraine smiled, handing me the brochures, “How about you go upstairs and take a look through these while I talk to your Auntie, and then come back and let me know what you think?” I nodded, picking up the brochures and leaving the room. I hated the idea of having to sit and talk to someone about my problems, but I figured that no one could force me to say anything I didn’t want to. After all, could it get any worse?

The next day, the guys were round again, as was Mel. Needless to say, she insisted on us sitting downstairs with them, showing off her skills at Guitar Hero. Of course, she’d been to several of their gigs and seen them around, but she had never properly hung out with them. Her and Layton were flirting all evening which really bugged me and I wasn’t sure why. Maybe it’s because I couldn’t stand being around Layton, so I hated the thought of something happening between him and Mel. Despite the fact I had only known Mel for a week, we had surprisingly clicked, and I could feel myself becoming attached, regardless of my efforts not to.
“Cheer up,” Rowan chuckled, elbowing me gently.
“Sorry,” I muttered, forcing a smile.
“I take it you’re still pissed at Layton then?”
“What?” I asked quickly, forgetting about what I told him the other day.
“You said you had an argument at the party or something.”
“Oh yeah,” I remembered, “Just don’t get what his problem is.”
“I swear, he’s not normally like this.”
“I can see. I just don’t understand why he’s fine round everyone else but then goes all quiet and blunt around me.”
“God knows,” he sighed, “Are you sure you don’t want me to talk to him?”
“I’m sure; it will only make things more awkward. But thanks anyways,” I frowned.

“Oh my God, did you see me and Layton?!” Mel squealed as we walked into town for some dinner later that evening.
“Yeah,” I muttered, attempting to sound enthusiastic.
“He was flirting with me all night. Wow, he is so gorgeous. He’s so funny aswell; don’t you think he’s funny?”
“Hilarious,” I said, forcing a laugh.
“Sorry,” she frowned, “I forgot you guys don’t really get on.”
“It’s fine,” I smiled genuinely. I wasn’t annoyed with her in the slightest. I just couldn’t stand Layton. He was worse than Cyrus even. To be fair though, Cyrus wasn’t as bad as I originally thought. Despite being ridiculously childish and insanely immature, he wasn’t a bad person. I was very cautious around him still, but I could see there was good in him. He did seem like a laugh, he just took it too far sometimes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shoutout to crazymotherduckers, my first comment :D

Sorry it's a boring chapter ;p Next one is better I promise

Ella xoxo