Status: Contains violence and strong language

Darkness Depths

Creatures of the Deep

“Can you find out what these say, Mr. Lincoln?” Miss Wilson asked urgently, as she and Jacob stood over the glowing map.
“I’m working on it, Melanie. It isn’t a language that has been exactly discovered before. Let me try first.” Jacob appeased, agitated.
“I want it now. Hurry up.”
“Fine….Some of it is jumbled. The only words I can make out are ‘Dark’ and ‘Hell’. I think it will make more sense when we find Atlantis. Do you know how long it will take?”
“Clairette said we should be there tomorrow. If we’re going the right way. But from what I see on the map, it won’t be easy to get there.”
“The map just has pictures. I doubt the pictures actually mean anything, Melanie.”
“You’d be surprised, Jacob.”
Alarms all around the ship started to sound. Yells from the workers on the submarine echoed, as Miss Wilson dismissed herself from the Library.
“What’s going on, Clairette?” Ms. Wilson asked as she reached the bridge.
“We’re entering that chasm you mentioned. But that’s not the problem. The radar thing is picking up…well a lot of signals bigger than anything we’ve seen. Whales included.” Clairette explained with some uneasiness.
“Hm...Everyone man battle stations! Clairette, make the announcement. I want everyone ready for whatever’s thrown at us. I want the Walkers out and covering the submarine. Understand?”
“Yes ma’am….Okay everybody! Man your battle stations! This is not a drill! I repeat, this is not a drill!” Clairette yelled into the intercom.
All over the Potestas, the crewmembers mobilized. Many manned guns located all over the ship, while a handful or so entered the crab-like Walkers. The hanger was then divided by a wall, separating the Walkers from non-submersible vehicles. Then the Walker hanger was flooded as the doors were opened. Cold, dark water rushed inside with great force, pushing Walkers back significantly. Once there was enough water, the Walkers retracted their legs and drove off. Small fleets of Walkers exited the Potestas, ready to take on whatever was waiting for them.
The deployed Walkers reported in, and Jacob recorded who was out and about.
“Lights on, people. Water’s too dark without them.” Walker 1 ordered over radio.
“Yes ma’am!” The other Walkers complied.
The Walkers activated their lights, illuminating a short range ahead of them.
“I want Sigma formation. Three Walkers each in each formation. Spread the formations all over the submarine. I want the sides covered, as well as front, back, top, and bottom. We need coverage.”
“Walker 1, how are things down there?” Clairette requested the information, the feelings of being on edge seeped into her.
“So far things are quiet. We have the Potestas covered. Gunners on the Walkers are scanning the area. We seem to be fine at the moment.” Walker 1 stated, as she and Walkers 2 and 3 took up forward positions.
“Alright. Remember, eyes open. Weapons ready.”
“You got it, ma’am.”
The Walkers and the submarine floated onward, guns on the large vessel spinning in search of danger.
“I don’t see anything. You sure that radar isn’t faulty?” One gunman suggested.
“I’m sure, Jenkins.” Clairette scolded mildly.
“Yeah, there really isn’t much out here, except for some weird fucking fish.” Walker 2 informed in a gruff manner.
“Diaz, what do you see?” Walker 1 asked to Walker 25, who’s formation was in the back.
“A whole lot of nothing. I kind of think Jenkins is on to something. Maybe there are just some big fish showing up on the…OH FUCK! SHOOT! SHOOT! WHAT IS THAT?” Walker 25 screamed. The gunmen for the Walker started firing to the left, as Walker 26 and 27 joined in.
“Shit! Fire, fire! Fuck Diaz get out of there!” Walker 27 demanded in a panic.
“What’s going on? 25, report! 25 report in!” Clairette commanded.
“De…Fu…I can’t shake….It’s got….Shoot goddammit! Shoot! It’s on our…26 there’s…fuck!” 25’s radio was silenced, as the other pilots began scanning furiously. The lower guns on the Potestas rotated, searching for Walkers 25-27.
A sudden explosion occurred, signaling the destruction of Walker 25. The turrets on the lower side of the Potestas shined their spotlights on the wreckage, and caught a glimpse of a tentacle covered in jagged scaled. The opened fired as Walker 26 pulled back, trying to get an edge over the creature.
“I’m going behind! 27, cover me!” 26 pleaded.
“All ships, remain in formation except for 26 and 27!” Walker 1 ordered over radio.
“Gentry! Gentry on lower gun what are you firing at?” Clairette demanded the answer, as she remained calm as possible.
“Whatever destroyed Walker 25! I have Turrets 5 and 6 firing in the area! Walker 26 is breaking formation to get behind it. Still no visual.” Turret 4 informed.
“Where are you, you mother fucker.” 26 clenched his teeth as the gunmen on the Walker looked around.
“I have a visual! To my 10 o’ clock!” Walker 27 discovered.
“I see it, 27! Oh my God what the fuck is that?!”
Tentacles jutted from the large creature, instilling fear into the pilot. It was the size of the Walkers themselves, not accounting for the rapid appendages. The turrets, as well as Walkers 27 and 26, blasted at the beast, but it seemed the bullets were bouncing off the armored skin. The creature shrieked as its tentacles sped forward toward Walker 26.
“What does it look like? Someone answer me!!” Clairette commanded with anger, slamming her hand against a nearby flat surface.
“It looks like a smaller Kraken. But it has a row of red eyes on the top of the body! Two rows of three! It has weird plating all over! It’s the size of a goddamn Walker!” 27 answered as the gunmen fired it off of 26.
“Is there only one?”
“It seems so!”
“No! No there isn’t one! Fucking hell there’s too many of them!” Walker 1 reported frantically. “Break formation! Everyone take these things down!”
Jess, Juliet, Lugnut, Abioye, and the other two entered the bridge in a hurry, desiring to know the events that are transpiring.
“What’s going on?!” Juliet spoke out.
“Something’s attacking the ship. Our Walkers are having a…difficult time neutralizing the threat.” Ms. Wilson educated, evenly although she couldn’t find the right words.
“You make it sound like it’s a fucking plumbing problem! Dammit our guys are getting slaughtered out there! We can’t even kill one! Now there’s more!” Clairette shouted in frustration.
“We’re counting 20 hostiles!” Walker 5 detailed.
“Fucking kidding me! Do you have any more Walkers? I’ll go out and help!” Abioye proposed.
“We already have 41 out there! We can’t risk anymore! All we need to do is get past this chasm and into the dark abyss!” Clairette clarified.
“How long do we have left, then?!” Jess gave her vexed query.
“About 30 minutes to get out of this damn place.”
“I’ll go.” Lugnut stated flatly, to everyone’s surprise.
“What? No, Lugnut you can’t go out there. I won’t allow it! You couldn’t even survive with your boiler exposed!” Juliet pleaded in an effort to sway Lugnut to stay.
“He actually has an ability to specifically function underwater…If he goes into his Aquatic mode, it will seal the chamber and any vulnerable spots, and even take the oxygen from the water surrounding him for a combustion system, allowing for virtually limitless fuel.” Jess mentioned solemnly.
“It’s decided. Direct me to the airlock.”
“No, Lugs! You can’t go!” Juliet begged.
“Juliet, I’ll be okay. I need to keep you safe.” Lugnut voiced to her.
“There’s an airlock you can go to, I’ll lead you there.” Ms. Wilson told.
“I shall go. Anthony Braddock, I require that launcher you used during the battle in the skies.”

. . .

Lugnut, Juliet, Jess, Abioye, Anthony, and Ms. Wilson were on the lower decks, toward the right of the submarine. Explosions from weaponry and vehicles were audible, but so where the shrieks. Jess attached the launcher to Lugnut, wiring taking merely a minute to complete. They strapped four extra missiles onto Lugnut’s leg, giving him spare ammunition just in case. They wired a communication device, allowing him to communicate with Clairette and the others once they get back to the bridge.
“Aquatic Mode, activated.” Lugnut directed. Suddenly, steam was emitted from his pipe as open ports were closed tight. The pipe itself was sealed, and under Lugnut’s feet, his boosters transformed into a propeller and booster hybrid.
“Please, you have to come back, okay? Come back or I’m kicking your metal ass.” Juliet demanded, sadness, fear, and anger mixing in her voice.
“I will, dummy. Recall one thing, that if I had true emotion like you, I would feel love for you. Stupid.”
“Oh my God, I love you too you asshole.”
Lugnut stepped into the airlock, and Ms. Wilson flipped the switch. Several thick metal doors closed in front of the organics as Lugnut waved goodbye. Once Lugnut was unable to view Juliet, he turned around, ready to face the open ocean. A red light came on, as water began pouring in at a steady pace.
“Weapon systems, activated.”
The doors in front of Lugnut opened once the water was at eye level, and the remaining bit of air was flooded by water. Lugnut witnessed Walkers and the beasts in the heat of battle, explosions and bullets abound. Lugnut moved out, and within seconds, his guns were blazing.
“I can’t shake it! Someone get it off me!” Walker 35 beseeched in a hysterical fashion.
“On it.” Lugnut replied, directing himself to 35.
Lugnut zipped to the creature beginning to dig its tentacles to the Walker. Lugnut then tackled the beast off the walker, saving those inside. Lugnut tangled with the monster, as it shrieked in aggression. It’s mouth was lined with rows upon rows of teeth, located in the center of all the tentacles. Lugnut shoved his Gatling gun inside the mouth and let loose. Shells ripped through the inside of the monstrosity, exiting from the head. Dark green blood oozed from the fresh holes as Lugnut grabbed the beast and tossed its now dead carcass aside.
“Too easy.” Lugnut uttered in confidence.
“Lugnut. Come in!” Clairette requested in the radio.
“Lugnut, in. First hostile eliminated.” Lugnut informed.
“Okay, keep doing what you’re doing.” Clairette let out a slight grin, Juliet doing the same as she stood next to the submarine pilot.
Lugnut and the Walkers, with aid of the turrets, battled the monsters. Lugnut turned the tide as he maneuvered with ease through the water. His ray blasts and bullets shredded through the waters, hitting the beasts as much as possible. Eventually, the numbers of the monsters decreased. One by one, the adventurers tore through the deranged creatures, allowing for the submarine to escape intact.
The robot found himself entangled in two beasts attacking him. The tenacity was high as they tried wrapping their tentacle around Lugnut. However, Lugnut wouldn’t let them do a thing. Lugnut grabbed one by the tentacles and swung it to the other. He then unleashed his blades and tore into the two, ripping them apart with the greatest of ease.
“15 minutes to the abyss.” Clairette informed everyone.
“Lugnut’s doing it!” Juliet cheered.
“We’re going to get out of this easy because of that blasted, idiotic robot.” Jess hailed with the youth.
“The balls on that machine.” Abioye was astounded. Glimpses of Lugnut fighting the monsters were seen as he passed the front of the Potestas, annihilating everything in his oath as well as rescuing any and all of his allies.
“Madam Clairette! We have a massive beep on the radar!” A crewman announced.
“What? What the hell do you mean?! Are there more coming? Is it multiple dots at once?” Clairette stammered.
“No ma’am…It’s…it’s colossal. It’s one blip.” He faltered in disbelief.
A loud rumble was then emitted in the chasm, followed by the loudest screech ever heard.
“FUCK! EVERYONE, FULL POWER. WE NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE NOW!” Ms. Wilson screamed, finally snapping.
Outside, the remaining monsters swam off, as Lugnut and 34 Walkers travelled around. Unexpectedly, enormous tentacles appeared from under the submarine, wrapping around the vessel. The Potestas was brought to a halt as the tentacles started pulling down forcefully. Clairette and the other crewmembers put all they could into moving, bringing the situation to a standstill. Lugnut and the Walkers began firing on the tentacles, to no avail.
“All Walkers. Report back to the Hangar Bay. I require only three.” Lugnut stated through the coms.
“Lugnut, what the fuck do you think you’re doing?!” Juliet screeched as she took the radio from Clairette.
“Keeping you safe.”
Lugnut activated the launcher and had Walkers 1, 10 and 11 follow close by. They dived for closest tentacle, rushing as fast as they could. Lugnut blasted one missile off, the projectile speeding ahead. The missile made contact, exploding and tearing the massive tentacle apart. The grip the appendages had on the Potestas loosened as Lugnut and the three Walkers attacked viciously. The robotic being spun around, unleashing his blades. He sped across to the opposite side, colliding with one tentacle and hacking away. Soon enough, he fully removed the tentacle, blackish-grey blood pouring out and mixing with the water. Another ear-splitting shriek was released, as the behemoth revealed itself, letting go of the submarine. Lugnut, the Walkers, and the submarine turrets shined their lights on a creature many times larger than what they face mere minutes ago.
“Fucking hell, it’s the Mother.” Walker 1 sighed in fear.
“Potestas, full speed ahead. Get out.” Lugnut commanded as he and the Walkers stared the shrieking beast down.
“You all ready?” Walker 10 asked.
“As we’ll ever be.” Walker 11 responded.
“Alright you oversized fuck, let’s see what you’ve got inside you.” Lugnut challenged, loading another missile into the launcher.
The squad swam fast toward the leviathan, the nightmare taking notice. Its tentacles sought out the oncoming team as the Potestas zoomed away, the other Walkers docking inside it. The shrieks became louder and louder as the team got closer to the mouth of the beast. Lugnut fired off the missiles in the chamber, each one hitting different spots on the monster. The Walkers’ gunmen fired at everything they could, but Walker 10 was pierced by a tentacle, destroying the attack vehicle. One of the gunmen survived the explosion, but the pressures of the deep was able to claim him. His body crumpled as his internal organs imploded, everything else turning into a fine paste.
“Walker 10, lost.” Walker 1 calmly reported.
Death was ahead of them, they all knew. Even Lugnut saw no way out. But they found comfort in their inevitable demise. They would go out fighting, protecting those on the submarine. For Lugnut, he’d go out protecting the human he was able to recognize he’d love; Juliet.
“Suicide switches at the ready. Once we go in, flip the switches. Take that thing down with a bang.” Walker 11 instructed, ready for what was coming.
The bullets poured into the still vigilant monster as Lugnut and the Walkers got closer and closer to the mouth. Lugnut remained quiet, yet determined. Before entering his doom, he pulled from his video archives, detailing to the first day of his entire existence.
. . .

“Hey little guy, I’m Juliet. Can you say anything?” Juliet questioned tenderly.
“YES I AM. DID YOU CREATE ME?” The newly made robot asked loudly.
“Whoa, you’re a little loud. I’ll have to fix that, but yeah, I did! Your name is Lugnut. I made you so I could have a friend around.”
“IS THAT SO? A LOSER CREATED ME?”
“I’m not a loser! I have friends!”
“I AM QUITE SURE YOU DO.”
“Ugh, whatever. So what do you think of your name?”
“IT SHALL SUFFICE.”

Lugnut’s video archive fast forwarded to a time where Juliet clutched him in her hands, as she was about to test his small propeller system.
“WHAT ARE YOU DOING WOMAN?” Lugnut demanded to know.
“Don’t worry, I’m trying to test your flight! You’ll be safe.” Juliet comforted, giving Lugnut a gentle smile.
“YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO ELIMINATE ME. YOU ARE WEARY OF THE ROBOT UPRISING. YOU KNOW I WILL ENSLAVE YOU ALL.”
“Oh shut up, you stupid robot. No one cares about your uprising!” Juliet dropped the robot, as he let out a robot’s scream. “Fly, you idiot!”
Lugnut then activated the propellers, saving himself from the pavement.
“CONGRATULATIONS, HUMAN. YOU HAVE MASTERED ROBOTIC FLIGHT.”

Then the video forwarded to Juliet, crying on her bed.
“WHAT IS WRONG, JULIET?” Lugnut probed with slight concern.
“Nothing Lugnut, nothing.” Juliet sobbed.
“BUT HUMAN, HOW AM I TO MAKE FUN OF YOU WHEN YOU ARE SAD AND I DO NOT KNOW THE REASON?”
“My friend I visit at the orphanage, he died. He was only 10. He was killed.”
“BY WHOM? I SHALL EXTERMINATE THEM SWIFTLY.”
“Oh Lugnut…” Juliet giggled through the tears.
“I SHALL AVENGE THE DEATH, THIS I SWEAR.”

Time moved on, and Juliet arrived at her apartment one morning with news.
“Lugnut, the killer was found dead last night!” Juliet exclaimed as she burst through the door.
“I INFORMED YOU THAT I WAS GOING TO KILL HIM.” Lugnut reminded.
“Wait…there’s no way…”
“ARE YOU SO VERY SURE OF THIS?”

Juliet smiled, and the video fast forwarded again. This time, it was at Juliet’s 19th birthday.
“JULIET, I HAVE CREATED A CAKE FOR YOU. FOR YOUR DAY OF NEAR DEATH.” Lugnut offered a faux cake made from clothing, bolts, and metal sheets.
“It’s…It’s called a birthday, Lugs. And I can’t eat this…” Juliet took the cake, and stared at it for some time.
“AND WHY NOT? I BELIEVE THAT IF I AM ABLE TO OBTAIN NUTRIENTS FROM THIS, YOU CAN AS WELL.”
“Lugs you can’t get nutrients, you’re a robot. And I can’t eat some of this because, well I’m a human. Is this one of my bras in here?”
“AS WELL AS YOUR LACED UNDERPANTS.”
“I think I made you an idiot, Lugnut.” Juliet laughed as she set the cake on a shelf, which is there to this day.
“IT TAKES A MORON TO KNOW ONE.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so the last bit is supposed to be completely italicized, but it seems like this website doesn't support that? Then again I'm new here so yeah