Status: Contains violence and strong language

Darkness Depths

One by One

“The ringing is coming from this way.” Ms. Wilson led her soldiers speedily through the halls, searching for the bell.
After the split with the others, Ms. Wilson has been going in and out of her strange trances, using all her might to stay out of it. All over, she and the others heard quiet chanting, but Ms. Wilson dismissed it to her imagination.
“Ma’am, do you think we’re doing the right thing? I’m not getting a good vibe with this at all.” A soldier offered his opinion.
“This is the right thing. Don’t question me. Understand? You do not question me. You all will get your pay once this is done and once I am queen of Atlantis.” Ms. Wilson snapped.
“Yes ma’am. Sorry ma’am..”
“Cnbb. Rlbb ej Lmghr. Cnbb.”
“What?” Ms. Wilson asked, thinking it was one of the soldiers.
“Nothing? No one said anything, Madam Wilson.” Another soldier replied, disturbed.
“One of you said something!”
“No we didn’t.” They said in unison.
“Cnbb. Rlbb ej Lmghr. Cnbb.”
“You all are messing with me!” Ms. Wilson stopped, scolding at the four soldiers.
“Ma’am, we really aren’t saying anything.”
“Cnbb. Rlbb ej Lmghr. Cnbb. Rlbb. Rlbb. Cnbb.”
“Oh let’s…let’s keep moving then.”
The chants continued in Ms. Wilson’s head as they moved closer to the ringing. Ms. Wilson began talking quietly to herself, insanity setting in. She blinked fast, but after ten blinks, the landscape changed. Plumes of lava erupted from the ground as she stood on a single floating stone. All around her, individuals fell from the sky, into the lava below. A crown, drenched in blood, was at Ms. Wilson’s feet. She kneeled over and held the crown, staring at it with a demented sense of satisfaction. Melanie tried putting the crown on, but a body collided with her, sending her off the rock. She clutched the side of the rock, noticing another person holding on, the side opposite her.
The crown dropped in the middle, as Ms. Wilson tried revealing the identity of the other person.
“Reveal yourself! Reveal yourself!” She commanded, trying to regain her spot on the rock.
“Ms. Wilson! Madam Wilson!” A voice echoed.
Suddenly, she returned to reality, finding herself on the meat-like floor.
“Ms. Wilson, are you alright?” A soldier asked, picking her up.
“I’m well. I think I might have inhaled something. I’m alright. The ringing is getting louder. I think we’re close.” Ms. Wilson determined as she brushed the slime off.
Ms. Wilson’s squad prepared for battle, as the edged to the massive double doors. Two soldiers moved to them, and carefully opened them, being as quiet as possible. The doors opened silently, revealing a chamber with five pillars making a specific shape, and an extra pillar in the middle of the formation. In the extra pillar was an orb that glowed, above it, the bell. The bell has a rope tied to it, and the rope was being lightly pulled by a figure in robes.
The figure was tall, but no features could be made out, due to the angle it was standing at. The robes looked black, with white stitching all over it.
Ms. Wilson pointed her rifle at the figure, as she mapped out her surroundings. She saw five more columns on the outer edges of the room, with low walls every so often. The squad quietly entered the room, trying to get the drop on the being.
The figure, however, briskly turned its head; soulless, bright dots for eyes was all that could be seen within the hood. The figure let out a extended screech and raised its left hand at the squad. A pulsation lifted the five off their feet, Ms. Wilson the only one returning to the ground. The other four, with each pulse, had a layer of them removed violently. First was their clothes, then their skin. After that came their muscles and organs, and then finally their skeletal remains. Ms. Wilson managed to escape, taking cover behind the pillars and walls. She peeked from cover, firing her rifle at the being, which was still shouting.
Ringing stopped as the figure sought out the hidden Ms. Wilson. Ms. Wilson, however, was slipping into her trance again. Her eyes went red, and her veins lined her skin. But the effects that previously ailed her began molding to her advantage.
The robed being blasted the large pillars, destroying them instantly. Once it reached Ms. Wilson’s pillar, she emerged, charging the shots with mystical power. The rounds made contact, slowing down the being. Ms. Wilson threw her rifle around to her back, and unleashed her knife, as she sprinted to the floating being. Melanie leaped up, ready to plant the blade into the entity’s head. But the robed monster raised its hands, stopping Ms. Wilson mid-air.
A black sphere formed in one of the figure’s hands as it screeched to Ms. Wilson, who was utterly immobile in the air. The sphere pressed against Melanie’s stomach, transporting her to a massive cavern, knocking her unconscious.

. . .

Abioye and his squad entered a system of caves and chasms. They hiked through the environment of both rock and flesh, noticing the stopping of the bell. Abioye led the squad into a cavern, a sliver of out-of-place light shining on a cliff with a statue on it.
“Can any of you make out what that statue is?” Abioye asked the others.
“I’ve got a looking glass.” One soldier informed as she extended a telescope. “Huh, that’s weird. It won’t focus.”
“’Let me give it a look.” Abioye encountered the same problem, and ultimately decided to go check it out.
The squad walked along narrow walkways, the crossed above a seemingly eternal drop to darkness. Every step was careful, and planned out. Abioye did not want anyone falling to a death, or to whatever else waited for them.
Abioye and the others made it across one walkway when the cavern rumbled violently. At the top corner, rubble fell and dust was thrown into the air. The squad hid behind a rock, their weapons at the ready.
Unexpectedly, a gigantic serpent broke through the rock, screaming through the cavern to the other side, not noticing the hidden squad. Abioye cursed under his breath as the loud monster burrowed through, shaking everything in the cavern up and breaking vital walkways.
The serpent disappeared into its burrow below, off to do whatever it intended. The squad removed themselves from cover and stayed their course. The four faced a broken walkway, forcing them to take a leap of faith.
“That’s quite a jump. I’ll go first.” Abioye stated, setting himself up for a running start.
The man sprinted on the skinny path, leaping at the best possible time. The soldiers followed his lead, making it to the other side. The final soldier, in mid-leap, was pushed off course by a group of bats, sending him to his death. Abioye and the others turned away, cutting their loss immediately.
Footstep after footstep, the statue was within their grasp. For some reason, the statue was still indiscernible with the naked eye.
“Oi, I still can’t tell what that bloody thing is.” Abioye grunted, making it to the base of the cliff.
“Neither can I. It may just be the angle.” The combatant suggested.
“Maybe, we’ll see what it is in a few seconds.”
Abioye was a mere two feet away, and noticed a set of folded wings on the statue. The statue was large, bigger than Abioye himself. When Abioye tried moving around the statue, the one source of light disappeared.
“Fuck. Someone got a lantern?” Abioye asked the other two companions.
“I’ve got one, hold on.” A rock was heard falling into the pit, Abioye worried of what it meant.
“Shit, there better not be another worm thing.”
“Got it.” The soldier raised the lantern, revealing the statue was no longer there.
“What in the hell? Was that what fell?” Abioye was confused, peeking over the cliff’s edge.
“That’s strange…really strange.” The soldier carrying the lantern deduced.
“Is it?” An ominous voice asked.,
A gust of wind blew, sending the soldiers to the rock wall behind them. Two hooved feet kicked them away, one falling to his death while the woman fell to the ground. She was then picked up by a massive hand and flung to Abioye, knocking him off the cliff. He quickly grabbed the edge with his mechanical arm, and saved the woman soldier with the other. Abioye then flung her to the safe side of the cavern, injuring her slightly.
Okoro then pulled himself back on the cliff. He looked up, ready for battle as he picked up his shotgun. He found no one there, and called out to the soldier.
“Are you alright, hun?” Abioye called out, not looking over.
“Yeah, my leg’s a bit fucked up though.” The soldier assured.
“What’s your name?”
“Last name’s Mason. Why?”
“You’re the last one left, and I plan on getting us out of here. Might as well get to know your name.”
“Aren’t you sweet! Can you throw me my gun?”
“Sure thing. I can’t see you well so I’ll just throw it over.”
“It’s good!”
Abioye picked her rifle up and tossed it over the cavern. The weapon landed five feet away from Mason, and she promptly crawled to it.
“Did you get it, Mason?” Abioye asked, carefully walking back to the other side.
“Got it! I can at least use it as a crutch for…Fuck!” Mason pulled the trigger to her rifle as a large figure dropped in front of her. Abioye looked and began running to the confrontation, as Mason unloaded at the unmoving being.
The bullets didn’t face the creature. It seemed as if they tickled it, as it let out menacing chuckles. Abioye fired his shotgun, hoping to stop the grand red beast from making another move. But he was far too late.
The beast raised his head, showing off the colossal horns that resided on it. He then stabbed Mason with the right horn, raising her off the ground. She let out a grunt, blood coming from her mouth. Her eyes shut, and the beast removed Mason from his horn with his hands, tossing her into the canyon.
Abioye was raging, going on an unstoppable rampage to the monster. Abioye forsook his gun, resorting to his immensely powerful brute strength. Okoro and the monster locked into a fist fight, although the monster was at least two feet taller than the tall man. Blows were exchanges, and punches were blocked. The winged monster clutched Abioye by the throat and flew up, dangling him over the pit. The red creature grinned, revealing his spiked and yellow teeth. It let the man go, allowing him to fall to the unknown.
He wasn’t going to go down so easily, however. Abioye grabbed one of the hooved legs, pulling it down with him. The two then locking into a downward battle, brutally punching each other, each blow more painful than the last. The monster flew to the paths, Okoro gripping the tail of the beast.
The two crashed to the ground where Mason was killed, and recovered their balance. Abioye soared into the air, delivering a massive hit to the brute’s head. The brute was disoriented, as the man let loose. Hit after hit sent the creature stumbling back, warm blood flying onto Okoro’s person. The tail of the monster smacked the man away, allowing it to recover.
“You’re a tough one.” The beast mentioned, snickering.
“Can’t say the same about you, buddy.” Abioye mocked, going in for another strike.
Counter after counter, Abioye’s hits started to miss. These misses brought a vital shift in the fight, as the monster got a hold of the top of the robotic arm. The fingers of the beast danced on the shoulder of the arm as it held back Abioye by the neck.
“Am I tough now?” The monster taunted.
“No. Nothing the likes of an unknown such as yourself will ever…be tough.” Abioye gritted through clenched teeth.
The monster then tore off the arm with ease, slamming it to the ground and stomped it to pieces.
“Nothing the likes of ME?” The beast roared as it wailed on Abioye Okoro. “I am POWER. I am DEVASTATION. Do you know who you’re fighting?!”
“I couldn’t…I couldn’t…care less.” Abioye managed to let out, despite the injuries to his face and body.”
“I…AM….SATAN.”
Satan pierced Abioye’s chest and raised him eye level. Abioye spat on Satan’s face and smiled, enraging the demonic lord. Satan unleashed a fire, silencing Abioye once and for all. He then tossed the remains down the pit, for the underlings to feed.
“Rlbb ej Lmghr. Hell on Earth.” Satan chanted, walking out of the cavern.