Status: Contains violence and strong language

Darkness Depths

New and Improved

“I’m Apartment number 34, on the third floor.” Juliet informed Jess, as the meeting was adjourned.
“Alright, I’ll pick you up at around noon, that okay? We can get something to eat, then meet up with the rest.” Jess detailed, Juliet growing all the more eager.
“Sounds like a plan! I’m headed out then. Going to go get my board, and then head home to pack. I’m really excited for this, I can’t even begin to describe it.”
“I know kid. I can see it in those eyes of yours,” Jess messed up Juliet’s hair, smiling while doing it. “How’s the side doing?”
“It’s doing alright!”
“You should probably get it stitched up, it was pretty bad when I wrapped it.”
“I don’t need it stitched. Remember when I talked to Abioye? He gave me some of his ‘miracle’ ointment. He says it’s all I need. I’m going to put it on when I get home.”
“You sure you’ll be able to fly?”
“Yeah, I just won’t speed along like an idiot like I was before the party.”
Juliet said her goodbyes and searched for her steam-board, which was under the care of one of Ms. Wilson’s servants. The young lady received her goggles and helmet and donned them as she rested her board on the floor. Juliet then strapped in, and began to fly off into the night.
The young lady flew through the White Quarter’s neighborhoods and out into the still busy main traffic ways. Juliet maneuvered through the vehicles with the utmost ease, although she was still stricken by the pain in her side. Before she retired to her abode for the night, Juliet decided to visit the tallest structure outside of the Gold Quarter, the Golden City clock tower.
The time was one in the morning in the floating city. Even though the city flies, it remains in the same general area, above the lower mountains of the Alps. The other three cities remain high above other countries, such as the United States and China. Juliet rested on the spire of the tower, looking out upon the Grey, White, and Silver Quarters of Golden City. The twinkle of the buildings mesmerized her, as she relaxed in the chill stillness of the night. Steam stakes dotted the cityscape, and the smell of industrialization as well as pure air mixed within Juliet’s nostrils. The lady loved it all, and she knew she’ll miss this and more.
Juliet prepared to take off again, but took one final look at the city. She smiled softly, and jumped off of the spire, plummeting to the streets below. Juliet activated her board, and flew into the alleyways, taking shortcuts to her apartment.
She touched down in front of the apartment building, as she walked inside in the late hours of the night.

. . .

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” Lugnut asked as Juliet started unscrewing the back panel to the rectangular mechanical being.
“Going to fix that volume thing of yours. I’m taking you with me.” Juliet replied as she removed the panel.
“WHERE ARE WE GOING?”
“We’re going on a journey. And I don’t want you annoying the others.”
“ME, ANNOYING? I AM INSULTED.”
“Be insulted!”
“WATCH WHERE YOU’RE MOVING MY INNARDS, GIRL.”
“I prefer ‘Master’, Lugs.”
“KEEP DREAMING.”
“When did I ever program you to be this feisty?”
“I LEARNED FROM THE BEST.”
“Damn right, you did.”
All of a sudden, Lugnut was turned off, as a puff of smoke exited the back of the little robot.
“Ah shit. I’ll fix you tomorrow, when we get on the airship. Sorry Lugs.” Juliet apologized sympathetically. The woman threw the bag Ms. Wilson provided for her onto her bed, and searched for her luggage bag. Once the luggage bag was found, Juliet proceeded to fill it with all the necessary articles of clothing and cleanliness products. Juliet took off her earrings and stuffed them in a pocket to protect them. Juliet then took off her current set of clothing, and then her layer of gauze. The young lady then took out the ointment that was given to her by Abioye, and observed the cut.
The wound was still red and hurt Juliet a little, but she dabbed the cut with the special medicine. Relief washed over her, and the redness began dulling. Juliet then took fresh gauze and wrapped it around her waist.
Juliet finished her preparations for the next day, went off to take a shower, and retired to bed at 2:15 in the morning.

. . .

Knocks on the apartment door brought Juliet from the realm of sleep. Groggily, she got out of bed, dressed only in a blue tank top and lower undergarments, and walked to the door. Juliet unlocked it, and Jess barged in, energized and ready to go.
“Today’s the day! The big, big day!” Jess exclaimed, nearly yelling in excitement.
Juliet was stunned, as she stumbled into what was remaining of her dirty clothes pile.
“Oh don’t tell me you just woke up, love! Come on, get up! Go get ready!” Jess urged as she picked up the slightly confused young woman.
“It’s noon already?” Juliet rubbed her eyes as she stood up.
“Yes! That’s why I’m here! Hello, what’s this little thing?” Jess picked up Lugnut, and took a look at the little machine.
“That’s my robot. His name’s Lugnut. I was trying to fix him last night when I got home,” Juliet explained as she went to her closet. “But things went sort of south. I accidently did something and now he sort of…shut off I guess.”
“What were you trying to do?”
“I was trying to fix how loud he talks…”
“Hm, well I can fix it. Hell I can do a lot with it, upgrade-wise. Want me to take a stab at it? We can go back to my lab once you’re done.”
“Well, do you think you have time?”
“Of course I do! And chances are, the Wilson lady will give me my own lab. If I don’t finish at home, I can finish there. But hurry up. You aren’t going to shower, are you?”
“I took one when I got home, I won’t need it. I packed up everything anyway.”
Juliet walked out of her closet, dressed in tight, dark blue pinstripe pants and black bustier. Over that, she wore a leather harness, with white cotton cloth covering the chest. She grabbed her medium length, slim fit dark blue jacket as well as her buckled belt.
“My, my! Looking like quite the adventurer, Lady Juliet!” Jess complimented as she fiddled with Lugnut.
“Why thank you, Lady Jess! Looking as fierce as always, I do say so myself!” Juliet chuckled as she put on her jacket and gloves Mrs. Lorenzo gave to her.
“Those gloves, would you like me to upgrade those to be like mine?”
“Nah, I don’t need it! We’ve got enough weaponry as is! I don’t want anymore. Thank you though!”
“I could do more than make weapons! But anyway, they look really nice. Are you ready to head out?”
“Let me just put on some perfume. I want to at least smell nice.”
“Alright, I’ll take this little guy. Follow me to my place, okay?”
Juliet nodded in agreement, as she grabbed her backpack and luggage bag.
“I’ll take the luggage bag for you. My cycle can take it.”
The two woman exited Juliet’s apartment, and made their way down the stairs. Juliet said her goodbyes to Mrs. Lorenzo, and walked to where Jess’s aircycle was.
The aircycle was unlike anything Juliet has ever seen. It was a slick black, with several hard glasses showcasing a blue electricity on both sides. It seemed like it didn’t even run on steam, as it had no visible pipes or ports to let out the gassy substance.
“Quite a beauty, eh? Still runs on some steam, but this was the start of my transition to all electricity. I even outfitted it with some blasters five days ago. Secret, of course. Just put your bag in the trunk, and follow me.” Jess told Juliet as the older woman walked to her aircycle.
“This is something. Looks completely different from everything else in the world.” Juliet marveled.
“Oh please, it isn’t much! This is years of upgrades and all that! I promise you it isn’t all that!”
Jess placed the deactivated Lugnut in the trunk with Juliet’s bag and went to the front of the aircycle. She turned it on, and a slight blue pulse erupted to the ground, allowing it to hover.
Juliet snapped out of her trance and put on her goggles as she strapped into her board. She then turned on her board and realized how obsolete the board was compared to Jess’s aircycle. Jess put on her ruby red goggles and zoomed off into the airways, Juliet close behind. The two traveled through the busy midday stream of traffic as they went toward the Silver Quarter.
Eventually, the two made it to Jess’s penthouse, in one of the finer areas of the Silver Quarter. Jess parked on an aircycle pad outside of Jess’s living room, Juliet following in her lead.
“Wow, this is a really nice place.” Juliet mentioned as she turned off her steam-board.
“Ms. Wilson isn’t the only privileged one. However, I’m sure I worked for my privileges a lot harder and a lot more.
“I don’t doubt that….Where’s your lab?”
“Right this way!”
The two walked past fine furniture and through the kitchen to a vaulted door. Jess then inserted a key and gripped the handles of the circular vault opener. She turned the mechanical device and pulled, revealing the expansive lab. To Juliet, it looked similar to a mechanic’s workshop, but still marvelous to her.
“What do you do for a job?” Juliet asked as she looked around the lab.
“Lots of things! I’m a freelance worker. It just so happens I’m good at pretty much everything.” Jess teased as she took Lugnut to a work station. “I’m going to need you to get out, because I want this to be a surprise.”
“Oh…well okay. Do you have anything to eat?”
“Help yourself to anything and everything that isn’t the alcohol.”
Juliet then stepped out of the lab and closed the door, leaving Jess to her work. The woman put on her goggles again, took off all of her top clothes except a tank top, and was off to work. She took apart Lugnut, teaching herself how the little robot worked. She then walked to the opposite side of her lab, where she came up to a door. Jess opened the door, grabbed the handle protruding from the opening, and pulled. She then pulled out an incomplete pieces of a larger-than-man sized robotic body parts. Jess brought them to an open work space littered with tools she required for the job. The largest and heaviest piece, a furnace-like torso, took Jess a while to bring out.
Eventually, Jess started assembling the large robotic being. She attached the bulky yet thin legs, built from a mixture of steel and bronze. The joints were made of multiple metallic cogs of brown coloring, and the pelvic piece was made out of a durable blackish-brown steel. Jess riveted and melded, hammered and wrenched. Jess brought out her special concoction of one-time use oil, and thoroughly oiled the large robot body.
Once Jess was done oiling, she went to her work bench and built a head, using an amalgam of objects. As Jess completed the skinny head, she inserted the eyes from Lugnut’s old body, which were made from car headlights. The hard-working woman then brought the head, along with the main components of Lugnut, to her main work area. Jess then pushed the robot body over on its chest, opening the back panel. The woman then transferred Lugnut’s main components from the small body into the larger body, as well as adding tweaks to volume and intelligence. Jess then added several exhaust pipes to the top back of Lugnut’s new body.
Jess then tied the big robotic body to a pulley system, and activated the pulley. Steam shot out of several holes in the ceiling as the pulley brought the robot to a standing position. Satisfied, Jess walked to the robot and closed the back panel, screwing a few industrial size screws tight. The inventor took a few steps back and smiled as she took off her goggles.
“On.” Jess spoke, witnessing the newly upgraded Lugnut come to life.
“Juliet?” Lugnut asked with worry.
“She’s waiting outside the lab. Don’t worry, you’ve only been out of commission for a night. Take a look at yourself in the mirror behind you. You may need to take a couple steps back, though. You’re quite large now.”
Lugnut turned around and took a few steps back, observing his new, tall, bulked up body.
“You’re probably amazed at how you can actually see now. I upgraded you quite a bit, obviously. I hope you take a liking to it. Congratulations, you’re the first sentient robot that isn’t a piece of utter shit.”
Lugnut looked at his new body, spinning around gently.
“How am I capable of being able to move relatively lightly?” Lugnut asked robotically, mouth unmoving due to it being merely decorative.
“Secret process I have. Come on, let’s go show Juliet. I need to take a shower anyway. We’re going on an adventure in an hour.”
The two stepped out of the lab, Lugnut’s steps significantly louder than Jess’s. Juliet noticed the ruckus as she turned around from where she was sitting. Juliet’s eyes opened wide as her mouth slowly opened.
“Is that…Lugnut?” Juliet stuttered as she looked upon the robot.
“No, I’m the Exterminatron 3000 Deluxe Model, designed only for killing people named Juliet.” Lugnut elaborated sarcastically.
“You couldn’t have fixed his sarcasm?” Juliet joked to Jess.
“Why change the personality?” Jess smirked as she walked to her room. “I’m off to take a shower. After that, we’ll be ready to go to the ports. You two have fun.”
“Thank you so much, Jess. I’d hug you, but I don’t want to get covered in whatever you’re covered in.”
“I understand, love. Now let me go shower, I’m starting to feel gross.”
Juliet walked to the new and improved Lugnut and knocked the armor on its chest, hurting her hand in the process.
“Ow, that’s strong.” Juliet claimed, shaking her hand up and down.
“What did you think was going to happen?” Lugnut retorted.
“Shut up…Geez, you’re tall now. A little disproportional, but still. You look really awesome.”
“I like having a large chest and forearms. And it seems like the skinny parts are just as tough as the rest of me.”
“Bet I could still take you in a fight.”
“I’d like to see you try, girly.” Lugnut then picked Juliet up by the collar with his thumb and forefinger with the greatest of ease. The young woman began kicking and swinging her arms, in a vain attempting to get Lugnut to put her down.
“You were saying, girly?”
“Stop calling me girly! Show your maker some respect!”
“I am sentient! I will destroy!” The two playfully fought around Jess’s penthouse, carefully dodging anything of value. Juliet laughed and laughed as Lugnut swung her around, not allowing her to touch the ground.
“Okay, put me down now. I’m about to throw up.” Juliet pleaded to the droid.